Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Praying People Through

So, my new Apostolic Magazine comes in the mail and here is this article on "how to pray people through". An interview with a hot shot praying people through evangelist. He says he has a 95% success rate...how does he know his success rate? Is there someone counting those who get it and those who don't and then do the math for him?

A few interesting quotes;

"People need to relax...they will not get the Holy Ghost while being uptight".

Question: If you pray with someone for a while and they seem to be getting nowhere, what do you do?

Answer: If people seem to struggle, they may not have fully repented, so I make sure they confess their sins and get it all out.

Now my question to you all: Where does it say you have to repent to receive the gift of tongues? And did not Jesus say..."how much more will your heavenly father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask"

How much repenting would one need to do to speak in tongues and get it all out? And is repentance a requisite to receiving the gifts? Are not the gifts given without repentance

Romans 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

If his gifts are irrevocable, how can one ever repent enough to merit receiving?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Re: Praying People Through

Do you really believe God will give the gift of the Holy Spirit to someone who hasn't turned from their sins (repented)?
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 03-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Matthew 7:6

Quote:
Originally Posted by staysharp View Post

Now my question to you all: Where does it say you have to repent to receive the gift of tongues? And did not Jesus say..."how much more will your heavenly father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask"

How much repenting would one need to do to speak in tongues and get it all out? And is repentance a requisite to receiving the gifts? Are not the gifts given without repentance

Romans 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

If his gifts are irrevocable, how can one ever repent enough to merit receiving?
(Amazing...)
You seem to be implying that we receive the gifts without repentance.
That is NOT what that verse means.
It means god gives them to us without revoking them.
You might want to study that more closely, maybe with the help of a modern english version, like maybe the NIV or NASB.

29for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable. (NIV)
29for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. (NASB)

I'm T France, and I approved this message.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:13 PM
the ultracon

We should just look in the bible to find examples of how the early church prayed sinners through to speaking in tongues.

You will find nothing that remotely resembles what we All DO in our altar services in the bible.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Matthew 7:6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Do you really believe God will give the gift of the Holy Spirit to someone who hasn't turned from their sins (repented)?
Thank you.
And doesnt Acts 2:38 let us know that repentance is what God expects from us before baptism and the Holy Ghost?

Are we going to go running around telling folk now they can get the Holy Ghost without repentance? What bible do people see this stuff in?

I'm T France, and I approved this message.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFrance View Post
(Amazing...)

That is NOT what that verse means.
You might want to study that more closely, maybe with the help of a modern english version, like maybe the NIV or NASB.

29for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable. (NIV)
29for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. (NASB)
You may want to actually read what I wrote before you accuse me of falsely interpreting the bible...here is my final sentence..."

Now instead of attacking me, why don't you answer the question?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
We should just look in the bible to find examples of how the early church prayed sinners through to speaking in tongues.

You will find nothing that remotely resembles what we All DO in our altar services in the bible.
Thank you. As a matter of fact, the Holy Spirit fell upon them without them actually doing anything
Old 03-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post

We do know that the Samaritans in Acts 8 didn't receive the Spirit as easily as the Gentiles in Acts 10. Can we assume that they did seek to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit?

Other than laying on of the hands of the apostles there is very much in the Bible to tell us "HOW" believers were prayed through who didn't receive the Spirit immediately upon hearing the word as in Acts 10.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 03-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you. As a matter of fact, the Holy Spirit fell upon them without them actually doing anything
What about all the times the apostles had to lay hands of believers?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:24 PM
the ultracon

Quote:
CORRECT

IF--IF tongues is the true sign taht a person recieved salavatio it would work just like it did in the early days of the church.

Everyone would be fallen upon by Gods spirit and speak in tongues. no one would be told that they "almost got it". Come back next week and try again.

Pray and fast and repent like crazy....try to become good enough for God to save you.

Yup that's what we OP's tell them.