Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-04-2017, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Re: Home school?

In the past, I took a hardline stance against homeschooling. After reading this thread, I may be changing my mind about it.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:54 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
In the past, I took a hardline stance against homeschooling. After reading this thread, I may be changing my mind about it.
If you don't mind me asking, why were/are you so opposed to it?
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why were/are you so opposed to it?
The kids and young adults that I knew who were homeschooled appeared socially awkward, sheltered, and not that smart.

I also feel like Christian kids need to be exposed to the world in a way that helps them work out their own salvation with fear and trembling while they are still under the roof and influence of Christian parents, youth Pastors, etc.

But my thoughts could be flawed and just may very well be, given the anecdotes on this thread.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

What does "socially awkward" mean?

What do you mean by "appeared sheltered"?

And what do you mean by "not that smart"?

Also, have you ever known public school kids that were socially awkward, not that smart, or sheltered?

And just how many homeschooled kids have you actually known?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 01-04-2017, 09:27 PM

We've homeschooled our kids now for 9 years and climbing, with zero regret.
I'm extremely grateful God has allowed us to.

We get a lot of family time together. Sure has its advantages during hunting season, camping, going to Silver Dollar City, vacations, or hiking trails during extended out of town biblequiz trips.
My kids are all doing very well, academically.
Biblical based curriculum is great.
As far as the socializing someone brought up, as it usually is, my kids are involved in gymnastics, soccer, baseball, air pistol and archery shooting w other kids in FFA, they go to orchestra(violin, flute, and piano) w other kids all different ages.

Also, colleges look for homeschooled kids, because statistically, they make better grades, not to mention are generally more respectful and well behaved.

Hoovie had some interesting hs academic statistics, if he happens to chime in on this thread.

We also have an annual apostolic homeschool gathering here at our friends home, out in the country a little ways. Folks even from a few different states come. We had about 200 this past year. I set up a 175' zip line. Lots of other activities...hay ride etc, some good fellowship..some family devotion and prayer around a campfire. Good stuff for helping one another out too, if needed.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 01-04-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
We've homeschooled our kids now for 9 years and climbing, with zero regret.
I'm extremely grateful God has allowed us to.

We get a lot of family time together. Sure has its advantages during hunting season, camping, going to Silver Dollar City, vacations, or hiking trails during extended out of town biblequiz trips.
My kids are all doing very well, academically.
Biblical based curriculum is great.
As far as the socializing someone brought up, as it usually is, my kids are involved in gymnastics, soccer, baseball, air pistol and archery shooting w other kids in FFA, they go to orchestra(violin, flute, and piano) w other kids all different ages.

Also, colleges look for homeschooled kids, because statistically, they make better grades, not to mention are generally more respectful and well behaved.

Hoovie had some interesting hs academic statistics, if he happens to chime in on this thread.

We also have an annual apostolic homeschool gathering here at our friends home, out in the country a little ways. Folks even from a few different states come. We had about 200 this past year. I set up a 175' zip line. Lots of other activities...hay ride etc, some good fellowship..some family devotion and prayer around a campfire. Good stuff for helping one another out too, if needed.
To me the question isn't whether home schooled children can be successful. Of course they can. It's whether they would be more successful in public school.

Parental involvement may be the biggest factor in a child's statistical success. Most parents that home school are very involved because the lazy parents send their kids to public school so they don't have to deal with them. Given the same amount of parental involvement can anyone say for sure that the successful home school kids wouldn't have turned out better by going to public school?

Here's a few things to think about. Going to a good college for a home school kid will require very good SAT/ACT scores because their grades shouldn't be considered at all. If a school does really well in high school and just average on the SAT/ACT scores he can still get into a good school.

Post college or technical training the high school won't really be looked at any more.

Last edited by jfrog; 01-04-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:19 AM
Registered Member

We've home schooled the past few years and love it. We travel quite a bit and the children get to experience much that wouldn't be possible if not home schooled. We are currently using A-Becka and it seems to be more challenging (for my wife and kids) than the others we've tried.
I worry too much about the social interaction (or lack of) of my young ones. We are fairly remote and wouldn't have it any other way. But I am concerned because we don't have children their age around. Something I will be in prayer about for sure.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Young in hope,
There are co-ops for homeschoolers. I have seen one of their gatherings at a local library. It looked like they were having fun and a great looking group of kids. There is a website dedicated to providing website hosting to co-ops. The site is: homeschool-life.com and when you go there look for a link at the top in the magenta colored box that says: Groups/Co-ops. It will take you to an interactive map of the USA . Just tap on Arkansas and on the right it will then list all the co-ops in your state. I saw that there are groups in Cabot, Springdale, Bentonville, Fort Smith, Little Rock, Norfolk, and Jonesboro. From what I saw at our library this might be a good deal for social interaction that you were talking about. Ya'all take care. : )
P.S. There might be other co-ps that aren't on their list.

Last edited by Graham; 01-05-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
There was an old homeschooling thread that missB and I think hoovie participated in. They gave some great info and answers.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Young in hope,
There are co-ops for homeschoolers. I have seen one of their gatherings at a local library. It looked like they were having fun and a great looking group of kids. There is a website dedicated to providing website hosting to co-ops. The site is: homeschool-life.com and when you go there look for a link at the top in the magenta colored box that says: Groups/Co-ops. It will take you to an interactive map of the USA . Just tap on Arkansas and on the right it will then list all the co-ops in your state. I saw that there are groups in Cabot, Springdale, Bentonville, Fort Smith, Little Rock, Norfolk, and Jonesboro. From what I saw at our library this might be a good deal for social interaction that you were talking about. Ya'all take care. : )
P.S. There might be other co-ps that aren't on their list.
Wow will definitely check this out thank you.