Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Roc View Post
What makes you think someone feels clean and a burden is lifted when they are being told that their soul still has a residence in HELL FIRE! Don't you realize this...there is no happy feeling when you fear that your salvation is in limbo, bro simply because that is what they are being fed in their mind!!
I have to wonder who has fed you all this garbage that has made you so bitter.

The bible says that "there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth". When someone repents they have made a decision to follow Christ by faith, and while they are not born again yet, they are on their way.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:49 PM
His word burns in my heart like a fire...Fire Fall Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmatthew View Post
I have to wonder who has fed you all this garbage that has made you so bitter.

The bible says that "there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth". When someone repents they have made a decision to follow Christ by faith, and while they are not born again yet, they are on their way.
No bitterness, Matt...simply very saddened by the teachings that are misguiding souls.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:

Absolutely there is joy when one turns to the LORD for they have the blessed assurance of salvation provided by the Lamb of God once they trust and put their faith in Jesus....

...yeah, they are on their way...almost there but still in salvation limbo.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Theophilus

Quote:
I do not negate the work that is done at repentance. I believe there is a work of the Holy Ghost that takes place at repentance. But I do not believe it is a reception of the holy ghost. If it is, why did the Samaritans not receive it?

I cannot take away from the feeling a person gets when they have repented of their sins, and made a decision to follow Christ. There is a feeling of weights being taken off. There is no doubt that God has lifted them, and that you now have a feeling of being clean. It is called forgiveness.

The Samaritans had Joy in the city. They had that clean feeling. I am sure there was some dancing and leaping going on. But they still had yet to receive the Holy Ghost.
Exactly, look at the eunuch.

Ac 8:39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

I recall my own experience likewise, but nothing matched the baptism of the Holy Ghost that took place a while after. Cleansed and empowered, I was complete and on my way.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
Exactly, look at the eunuch.

Ac 8:39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

I recall my own experience likewise, but nothing matched the baptism of the Holy Ghost that took place a while after. Cleansed and empowered, I was complete and on my way.
I totally agree that what happens with Holy Spirit empowerment ushers you into a realm and position that doesn't come with repentance and baptism. I know personally the difference it made in my life. I had gifts and anointing that I hadn't previous. No doubt about it.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 03-08-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post

We love it because it's a euphoric feeling and some of us have experienced an immense down pouring of this experience initially (that was my experience...it lasted over 90 minutes non-stop and I recall even when I would try to utter praises to God in english, He still had dominion over my tongue and so I was unable to speak my language but it was a glorious experience...as if a touch of heaven and a momentary departure from earth). And who wouldn't want to see others experiencing this...having said that, this experience is not required for reaching heaven.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
Well, like I asked Theophilus in an earlier post, what is it that they receive then? Can you answer this? Matt? What do they receive that makes such a huge change in their lives spiritually? If it's not the Spirit of God then what is it?
Repentance made a HUGE change in my life. My mind was completely changed. I didn't want to do the sinful things I had been doing. I stopped taking the Lord's name in vain. I stopped going to bars, etc. I started reading the Bible. I told everyone I knew about Jesus. I prayed. I was a different person just because of repentance. My mind was turned around and I wasn't the same. Praise the Lord!
Old 03-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Roc View Post
We love it because it's a euphoric feeling and some of us have experienced an immense down pouring of this experience initially (that was my experience...it lasted over 90 minutes non-stop and I recall even when I would try to utter praises to God in english, He still had dominion over my tongue and so I was unable to speak my language but it was a glorious experience...as if a touch of heaven and a momentary departure from earth). And who wouldn't want to see others experiencing this...having said that, this experience is not required for reaching heaven.
God blessed you mightily when you received His Spirit. How were you saved without his Spirit within you before this experience? Rom 8:9
Old 03-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
God blessed you mightily when you received His Spirit. How were you saved without his Spirit within you before this experience? Rom 8:9
Simple...just the way you described in your reply above to Felicity about your experience at repentance...after all, you said your life changed and you described how you were no longer controlled by your sinful nature. Also, see Rom 8:9

BTW, I did have his Spirit once I placed my faith and fully trusted the LORD is sufficient...at repentance.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:19 PM
but made himself of no reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Repentance made a HUGE change in my life. My mind was completely changed. I didn't want to do the sinful things I had been doing. I stopped taking the Lord's name in vain. I stopped going to bars, etc. I started reading the Bible. I told everyone I knew about Jesus. I prayed. I was a different person just because of repentance. My mind was turned around and I wasn't the same. Praise the Lord!
This is a hugely important consideration that I believe is a DIRECT answer to Felcity's question. The work of repentance in a person's life can accomplish so much without being born of the Spirit.

This has been my understanding of why my friends who are "good baptists" know that their life changed with they confessed their faith in Jesus as Lord and saviour. It was changed! Any turnabout from pursuit of secular wisdom to pursuit of Godly wisdom would be seen from the perspective of this life as transforming. NOT a new birth --conception, maybe, but not birth.
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath [James 1:19]