Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Re: History of Tithes in the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Did you ever explain the following passage?
I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
(Act 20:33-35)
Did the apostle not tell the elders that they were to follow his example and work and provide support out of their own pockets (as it were) for the needy in the local congregation? Does this apostolic instruction apply to you? If not, why not?

I wrote this earlier in this thread.

So, what is Acts 20 saying?

1 Corinthians 9:13-14
(13).. Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
(14).. Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

The above passage Must be kept in mind when reading this:

Acts 20:[33] I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.
[34] Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me.

Acts 4 shows us how the apostles had a huge responsibility on their shoulders to take what church members owned and gave, and distribute it where it would best fit. Paul would not take anything and make himself rich, as many ministers do today.

Paul did not covet money. He had no love of money.

Acts 20:[35] I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

His life was an example to support the weak and how it is more blessed to give, and he proved it. The weak are those who cannot support themselves. They are the poor. Giving to people like this is completely different than receiving an income from a congregation that Paul plainly stated was the right of those who preach the gospel. All of Paul's positive words about the law-confirming, God-ordained right for ministers to forego working outside the church defeats all that you are using Acts 20 to say. Acts 20 is as much word of God as 1 Cor 9. Therefore, the example of Acts 20 is not meant to say ministers should forego work, because he spoke directly opposite to that in 1 Cor 9. You believe it is wrong for people to give tithes today and is against the word of God. You believe it is wrong for a church to fully support a minister.

The example is to show how we must give and support the weak-- the needy who are poor and poverty-stricken.

If the church cannot support him, as was the case in my own personal ministry, I worked, and am actually working now outside our church. Paul said it is not a sin for him to work as he did. It's an entirely different perspective than that from which you are using this chapter to support the idea that no minister should forego work. You are ruining the context of Acts 20 in favour of further refusing the proper context of 1 Cor 9 to say Acts 20 proves that ministers should never forego work. It proves no such thing. Your conclusion makes a contradiction of 1 Cor 9.

Paul spoke also in terms of starting churches where it would be impossible to receive support solely from the church. There would not be enough. But when the church grew, the minister would then forego work as taught clearly in 1 Cor 9.

What Paul said here is what he explained in 1 Cor 9:15-18 as a CHOICE showing how much he gave of himself in Acts 20's context of thought, that he urged to no other minister.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 08-25-2022, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBLUME
Now, which one of you will show my exegetical error in my layout of 1 Cor 9 and show me what the particular verse's understanding that I give you disagree with and what the verse is actually saying, and why?
I’ll be glad to. I thought that was addressed to Coksiw? I was feeling left out.
Hi Tithesmesiter, have at it!

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 08-25-2022, 05:16 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post

Acts 20:[33] I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.
[34] Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me.

Acts 4 shows us how the apostles had a huge responsibility on their shoulders to take what church members owned and gave, and distribute it where it would best fit. Paul would not take anything and make himself rich, as many ministers do today.

Paul did not covet money. He had no love of money.

Acts 20:[35] I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

His life was an example to support the weak and how it is more blessed to give, and he proved it. The weak are those who cannot support themselves. They are the poor. Giving to people like this is completely different than receiving an income from a congregation that Paul plainly stated was the right of those who preach the gospel. All of Paul's positive words about the law-confirming, God-ordained right for ministers to forego working outside the church defeats all that you are using Acts 20 to say. Acts 20 is as much word of God as 1 Cor 9. Therefore, the example of Acts 20 is not meant to say ministers should forego work, because he spoke directly opposite to that in 1 Cor 9. You believe it is wrong for people to give tithes today and is against the word of God. You believe it is wrong for a church to fully support a minister.

The example is to show how we must give and support the weak-- the needy who are poor and poverty-stricken.
How does a minister work with his hands like Paul did to support the poor members of the congregation while simultaneously foregoing work to just minister full time with a salary from the church?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-25-2022, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
How does a minister work with his hands like Paul did to support the poor members of the congregation while simultaneously foregoing work to just minister full time with a salary from the church?
Did Paul work his entire missionary journey’s to support the poor, or was he speaking to the elders of Ephesus specifically.

2 Corinthians 11:7-8
7...... Have I committed an offence in abasing myself that ye might be exalted, because I have preached to you the gospel of God freely?
8......I robbed other churches, taking wages of them, to do you service.

Was Paul working with his hands or receiving wages for ministry.

Just like Paul, ministry must use wisdom and also remain flexible.

Wisdom tells me, that I should teach established saints to support the work of God. It is not a teaching I would use to evangelize the lost.

Flexibility tells me I need to adapt to the abilities and resources of my present field of labor. I would give up the small salary I receive tomorrow if my church family had need for me to do so.

I think these where essentially the things Paul was teaching
Old 08-26-2022, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

Just checking in to see if we've resolved this yet...
Old 08-26-2022, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seguidordejesus View Post
Just checking in to see if we've resolved this yet...
Never will. It's just good reading for those who are looking on and comparing views to come to truth. And why this is in the deep waters section to begin with, is beyond me.

Last edited by mfblume; 08-26-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Who said it was work accomplished all of the time to support the weak, as in full-time, and not simply an example of helping the poor when and if necessary when a need arises?

Last edited by mfblume; 08-26-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:44 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Who said it was work accomplished all of the time to support the weak, as in full-time, and not simply an example of helping the poor when and if necessary when a need arises?
I didn't.

So, if a minister is full time and foregoes working, how does he simultaneously work with his hands to support the weak?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-26-2022, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I didn't.

So, if a minister is full time and foregoes working, how does he simultaneously work with his hands to support the weak?
Since these needs arise not all of the time, it is easy! Although you are exaggerating the context of using the term full-time. Very weak attempt. Even full-time secular jobs leave plenty of time for a person to enjoy family, friends and recreation, But yet they are still called full-time employees.

Old 08-27-2022, 01:38 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Since these needs arise not all of the time, it is easy! Although you are exaggerating the context of using the term full-time. Very weak attempt. Even full-time secular jobs leave plenty of time for a person to enjoy family, friends and recreation, But yet they are still called full-time employees.
The discussion is the contrast between full time ministry vs secular employment. It was framed as "Paul could have done full time ministry with no secular employment but he chose to do both, whereas ministers today can forego secular employment".

It was argued that Paul's instructions to the elders of the church in Ephesus was NOT instruction for ministers to do secular employment as an example or paradigm for today's minister, and then later it shifted to a minister can do both.

So my question was how does a minister FOREGO secular work while simultaneously doing secular work?

Your answer was a weak attempt at deflecting to something I didn't bring up. It was others insisting full time ministry precludes secular work. I simply noted that most full time ministers aren't actually full time. The Bible shows what full time ministry is, 99 and a half percent of ministers I've ever known don't do it the Bible way, and yes 99 and a half won't do just like the song says.