Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

Does Evil Exist????????

Does evil exist, or is evil really the absence of God? Let me explain!

Studying refrigeration theory years ago when I was operations manager for a refrigeration installation company, I found out that there is no such thing as "cold"! It is really only the absence of heat! There are differing degrees of heat which determines how cold it is. You can generate heat by striking a match or rubbing your hands together, but you can't generate cold!

The way an airconditioner works is that hot air is directed through coils and a fan blows away the heat from the coils leaving cold air to blow back into your home. The absence of heat leaves cold.

In the same sense darkness is the absence of light. There are differing degrees of light. Light can be generated lighting a fire or by electricity make a bulb element glow. You can't generate darkness. You can only turn off the light!

Could evil be like cold and darkness? Otherwise, since God created everything, he also created evil!!! I don't believe that evil is a creation of God, but evil is the absence of God. When God is taken away from his creation, the void left is evil!

Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Interesting my friend. I can agree that when God created the world he created light cause all there was, was only darkness and 'deep'. I would think that there is not evil in the sense of it being a contrary fighter of God, but you have a good case to show that evil is a place with out God and His holiness.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Have to agree with this one!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman View Post
Does evil exist, or is evil really the absence of God? Let me explain!

Studying refrigeration theory years ago when I was operations manager for a refrigeration installation company, I found out that there is no such thing as "cold"! It is really only the absence of heat! There are differing degrees of heat which determines how cold it is. You can generate heat by striking a match or rubbing your hands together, but you can't generate cold!

The way an airconditioner works is that hot air is directed through coils and a fan blows away the heat from the coils leaving cold air to blow back into your home. The absence of heat leaves cold.

In the same sense darkness is the absence of light. There are differing degrees of light. Light can be generated lighting a fire or by electricity make a bulb element glow. You can't generate darkness. You can only turn off the light!

Could evil be like cold and darkness? Otherwise, since God created everything, he also created evil!!! I don't believe that evil is a creation of God, but evil is the absence of God. When God is taken away from his creation, the void left is evil!

Thoughts?
God is everywhere. He can't be taken away from his creation.

If God could be taken away from his creation, then you would be saying His creation is evil. But we know God created everything and called it good. So where did evil originate if not by the absence of God from his creation?
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Create Your Own Rainbows!

Good thoughts, PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:11 PM
SisBeezer

Quote:

Thoughts?
Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisBeezer View Post
Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
The bible says,
1 John 1:5
This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

Seems that with out God the light of the world...there is only darkness.

But what about this,

21For his eyes are upon the ways of man, and he seeth all his goings.

22There is no darkness, nor shadow of death, where the workers of iniquity may hide themselves.

23For he will not lay upon man more than right; that he should enter into judgment with God.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
God is everywhere. He can't be taken away from his creation.

If God could be taken away from his creation, then you would be saying His creation is evil. But we know God created everything and called it good. So where did evil originate if not by the absence of God from his creation?
I think that cold, darkness and evil are voids, not creations. Just as an absence of heat or light can effect temperature and illumination, the absense of God can effect the work of evil.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:18 PM
SisBeezer

Quote:
I think that cold, darkness and evil are voids, not creations. Just as an absence of heat or light can effect temperature and illumination, the absense of God can effect the work of evil.
if that line of thinking is true, then that makes satan not really real, just means there is an absense of Gods presence. since satan is evil, and was a created being according to what i read. just a thought.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisBeezer View Post
if that line of thinking is true, then that makes satan not really real, just means there is an absense of Gods presence. since satan is evil, and was a created being according to what i read. just a thought.
Incorrect. If what Pianoman has brought up is true then that means the reason the devil is evil is because he does not suround himself with God. THe devil is evil because he is not in God's presence. Not that there is not a devil.