Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-30-2022, 10:48 AM
Not riding the train

Re: An Exhortation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Would it be Apostolic to say the Holy Ghost?

If I prayed for Jesus to send the Holy Ghost to comfort me or someone else, would that be un-Apostolic?

[16] And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
[26] But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

When Jesus said this above, was He being un-Apostolic?

Please inform me.
I believe that anytime we speak, our purview should always be I Corinthians 12:3, which recognizes that the Spirit of God is the Holy Ghost, and that by God’s Spirit we recognize that Jesus is the Lord God - who could only be God manifest in flesh.

1Co 12:3....Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

In the scripture you reference, John 14:16-19, we find Jesus giving clear instruction, which they will understand later. He will cover all elements of what He is about, placing them all on Himself.

He is physically with them, being their Comforter, but later He will comfort them by His Spirit. He explains that the “Spirit of truth” will be the Comforter that will come.

Jesus had already identified Himself as that “truth” in John 14:6. In John 14:17, Jesus identifies again that he is the Spirit of truth. He tells them that the world doesn’t see or know him, but they know him, because He (the Spirit of truth) dwells with them, but shall be in them. In John 14:18, He says “I will not leave them comfortless (orphans/fatherless), I will come to you.” He is identifying Himself as the Father.

In John 14:19-20, He assures them of a fellowship in the future - “I am in my Father, You in me, and I in you.”

When the Apostles prayed that a group would receive the Holy Ghost, they had full understanding of John 14. The Spirit of God, the mighty God in Christ Jesus.

My point is in the wording. Specifically, when speaking “TO” God, it is very nuanced to say, “Thank you, God, for presenting us with the Holy Spirit, that we may be empowered to do just that!” It speaks to me of a separate entity from God.

Because this is a discussion board, I came away with the impression that this lesson could be taught in a Baptist Church very handily. I have a sister who opposes me and has for years. So, I recognize what she will embrace or reject. I felt that I wanted to voice that here on an Apostolic Forum.

It is all about nuance, IMO.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:02 AM
New User

Quote:
My point is in the wording. Specifically, when speaking “TO” God, it is very nuanced to say, “Thank you, God, for presenting us with the Holy Spirit, that we may be empowered to do just that!” It speaks to me of a separate entity from God.
The Apostles didn’t feel the same as you do per the epistles.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:54 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

So what examples do we have of the apostles directly addressing God in prayer, so we can see what truly apostolic prayer looks like as far as the wording they used?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 03-30-2022, 12:41 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
So what examples do we have of the apostles directly addressing God in prayer, so we can see what truly apostolic prayer looks like as far as the wording they used?
At the outset, I believe it is important to understand the apostles purview of who God is when reading anything they say or do.

For instance, in Acts 2:36, “Therefore, Let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God has made that same Jesus, whom you have crucified, both Lord and Christ.”

They had a full understanding. When Jesus taught them to pray - Our Father, which art in heaven…”, they knew He was their father. They knew Isaiah 9:6.

What I go on is, how does that make me feel when I read what someone has written? When it feels off like this portion of Bevere’s book, a red flag comes up.

John Bevere in his book, The Bait of Satan, pg 26 - "Now do you think that when they sold him (Joseph) as a slave, God in heaven looked at the Son and the Holy Spirit and said, "What are We going to do now? Look at what his brothers have done. They have ruined Our plan for Joseph. We had better think of something quick! Do We have an alternate plan?"
Old 03-31-2022, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
At the outset, I believe it is important to understand the apostles purview of who God is when reading anything they say or do.

For instance, in Acts 2:36, “Therefore, Let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God has made that same Jesus, whom you have crucified, both Lord and Christ.”

They had a full understanding. When Jesus taught them to pray - Our Father, which art in heaven…”, they knew He was their father. They knew Isaiah 9:6.

What I go on is, how does that make me feel when I read what someone has written? When it feels off like this portion of Bevere’s book, a red flag comes up.

John Bevere in his book, The Bait of Satan, pg 26 - "Now do you think that when they sold him (Joseph) as a slave, God in heaven looked at the Son and the Holy Spirit and said, "What are We going to do now? Look at what his brothers have done. They have ruined Our plan for Joseph. We had better think of something quick! Do We have an alternate plan?"
In Acts 2:36, God and Jesus are clearly distinguished, for some reason. It even states that Jesus is the recipient of something from God, being MADE both Lord and Christ.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Bevere has a mistaken notion of how the Trinity works if that's how he thinks of things.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:07 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
In Acts 2:36, God and Jesus are clearly distinguished, for some reason. It even states that Jesus is the recipient of something from God, being MADE both Lord and Christ.
The reason is - Spirit and body. God/Spirit manifest in the flesh/Jesus Christ.

What you posted is a good exercise on where your mind (not yours specifically) is at. Do you see two or One? I see One.

This is a funny story . A couple of nights ago I was listening to Brother Bernard on YouTube. If you go onto a person’s channel and go into the playlist, it will stay on that and end at the last video on the list.

When I went onto Youtube, several of his messages were already in queue, so I didn’t go to his channel, turning on the first one. I fell asleep and later I heard someone say, words to effect, the third person in the Trinity or something along those lines. I immediately woke up and looked at my ipad to see what in the world was going on. The videos had rolled into a Charles Stanley message, which I hadn’t selected.

What I am saying is that even in my subconscious mind, I knew something said was “off” or wrong and it woke me up. I am more oneness than you. :

Last edited by Pressing-On; 03-31-2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:13 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by seguidordejesus View Post
Bevere has a mistaken notion of how the Trinity works if that's how he thinks of things.
I acknowledge that there are people who claim to be Trinitarian who actually are not. However, Bevere shows the mindset of a true Trinitarian.

The book was recommended to me and I got as far as page 26 and gave it back. The person told me the book helped them. That is fine, but after page 26, it wouldn’t have helped me. Lol
Old 03-31-2022, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I acknowledge that there are people who claim to be Trinitarian who actually are not. However, Bevere shows the mindset of a true Trinitarian.

The book was recommended to me and I got as far as page 26 and gave it back. The person told me the book helped them. That is fine, but after page 26, it wouldn’t have helped me. Lol
No he doesn't if he thinks they talk to each other. Tritheism and trinitarianism are not the same, no matter how much oneness tries to misrepresent them.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:36 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by seguidordejesus View Post
No he doesn't if he thinks they talk to each other. Tritheism and trinitarianism are not the same, no matter how much oneness tries to misrepresent them.
Definition of Trinity
1 : the unity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as three persons in one Godhead according to Christian dogma

I think “persons” lends itself to Tritheism.