Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Nursery > The Grandparents Guild
Facebook

Notices

The Grandparents Guild A Gathering Place for the Grandparents of AFF

Old 11-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Not riding the train

Re: PRAY for PO's Daughter and Grandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
I sure will. He will be fine and so will your daughter.
Thanks, Cindy. She hasn't called me back yet.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Thanks, Margie. He isn't being a cutie today! She is getting really stressed over him wanting her to carry him around the house. He doesn't want to sit down and be held, he wants her to walk him around the house. I don't know what to tell her. I don't know why he is satisfied with anything else.

Do you have any suggestions?
A jumperoo! My grandson loves it!
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 11-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
A jumperoo! My grandson loves it!
He has a Baby Einstein Musical Motion Activity Jumper. LOL! Long name! He doesn't like that either!

Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 PM
My Family!

Tell her to buy ear plugs, and endure a day of crying until he realizes that he can't be hooked to her 24/7.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Tell her to buy ear plugs, and endure a day of crying until he realizes that he can't be hooked to her 24/7.
LOL! I actually already recommended that. She said she is afraid a neighbor will turn her into CPS for abuse. LOL! They are in an apartment for now until they decide where they want to buy a house.

She took him by her husband's place of business and let him hold the baby for a while. He seems to have called down.

All the nurse recommended to her was Tylenol. Like she was going to give that to the baby. LOL!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

He's a doll- Love the dimple in the chin- I am sucker for dimples!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubayou View Post
He's a doll- Love the dimple in the chin- I am sucker for dimples!
Thanks, he gets that from my daughter. He looks more like her than he does his daddy. LOL!

He did better this evening. She took him out in his stroller and instead of attaching the car seat, she let him sit up like a big boy. He was cool with that. Growing up way too fast already I can see. LOL!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Thanks, Margie. He isn't being a cutie today! She is getting really stressed over him wanting her to carry him around the house. He doesn't want to sit down and be held, he wants her to walk him around the house. I don't know what to tell her. I don't know why he is satisfied with anything else.

Do you have any suggestions?
Is he teething?
Is he OVER-full? Sometimes it helps to feed more often, but smaller amounts.
How about his swing? Does he like that? I've had babies here (in my daycare) that would have needed to be held all day if it were not for the swing. I DO hold them - but it's not good for them if you hold them constantly. At least, that's my personal opinion. I've never been one to rock a baby to sleep because I want them to learn from the very beginning that they are capable of settling themselves down. I'm a big supporter of independence. All the little ones I've ever had have been strongly independent

If all else fails, I would do with him like I do when I have one who doesn't know how to put themselves to sleep.
1) Hold them and soothe them while standing next to their bed. Once they get themselves calmed down, I gently lay them down in their bed and then stand there and pat their bottoms for a little bit while talking to them in a soft voice.
2) Then I walk away slowly and sit across the room from them. When they fuss, I get up and go over and pat their bottoms again, but DO NOT pick them back up.
3) After they calm down again, go back across the room and sit.
4) you will probably have to repeat this several times, but eventually they figure out that they are not going to win.

The next day, I try the same thing only this time, instead of sitting across the room from them, I go right outside the door and wait.

The next day or so, I eventually find that I can go further and further away.

The key to the whole process is CONSISTENCY and remaining calm and soothing.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
Is he teething?
How about his swing? Does he like that? I've had babies here (in my daycare) that would have needed to be held all day if it were not for the swing. I DO hold them - but it's not good for them if you hold them constantly. At least, that's my personal opinion. I've never been one to rock a baby to sleep because I want them to learn from the very beginning that they are capable of settling themselves down. I'm a big supporter of independence. All the little ones I've ever had have been strongly independent

If all else fails, I would do with him like I do when I have one who doesn't know how to put themselves to sleep.
1) Hold them and soothe them while standing next to their bed. Once they get themselves calmed down, I gently lay them down in their bed and then stand there and pat their bottoms for a little bit while talking to them in a soft voice.
2) Then I walk away slowly and sit across the room from them. When they fuss, I get up and go over and pat their bottoms again, but DO NOT pick them back up.
4) you will probably have to repeat this several times, but eventually they figure out that they are not going to win.

The next day, I try the same thing only this time, instead of sitting across the room from them, I go right outside the door and wait.

Good luck.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
Is he teething?

Good luck.
Thanks, Margie! He likes his swing pretty well. She usually puts him in that when he is going to take a nap.

I am thinking it may be teething. He is blowing bubbles (lol) and drooling a lot more than usual. Some days he is fussy and some days he is not.

She said she went into Kohl's today and was looking at the Dr. Seuss books. They were also selling some stuffed animals that were characters from the books. She let him hold an "ugly" bird (her description) of some sort and he loved it. She said he was talking to it, so she bought it for him. He always talks to his animals. I wonder what he is thinking and saying to them? LOL!

He is doing fine today, but she has a migraine. She has always gotten headaches. Don't know what that is about. I probably get one headache a year. I don't know how I could stand getting them often.

Last edited by Pressing-On; 11-30-2010 at 07:47 PM.