Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 AM
My Family!

Was Man Created with Seven Basic Needs?

Has anyone heard of this before? It was mentioned in a daily devotional that I receive and have been posting in the Cafe Blog.

"Man was created to have seven basic needs. Each of us has a need for dignity, authority, blessing and provision, security, purpose and meaning, freedom and boundary, intimate love and companionship. When we go outside God’s provision to meet these needs, we get into trouble."

http://www.marketplaceleaders.org/bl...sus-our-value/
Old 11-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Re: Was Man Created with Seven Basic Needs?

A Maslow was famous for claiming man had needs and the needs fell in a heirarchy.

The highest need for man he said was self actualization. His claims all applied to the carnal man and gve no meaning to life that one gets when submitted to Jesus.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Stranger in a Strange Land

Maslow provided labels for that which we already knew.

Psychologists like Freud, Adler and Frankl interpreted the "self actualization" in different ways.

Of the three approaches, Frankl comes the closest to including a spiritual element of the "soul". He taught that the greatest need for mankind (self-actualization) was not Freudian (reconciliation with sexual issues) or Adlerian (need for power), but that everyone's lives must have MEANING.

The 7 needs have to do with, I believe, the way we correctly understand and live out the way God views us.

Last edited by Sabby; 11-08-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Renewed

1. God
2. Good woman
3. Food
4. Fishin hole
5. Food
6. Ability to cook food
7. did I mention food ?
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 11-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
Maslow provided labels for that which we already knew.

Psychologists like Freud, Adler and Frankl interpreted the "self actualization" in different ways.

Of the three approaches, Frankl comes the closest to including a spiritual element of the "soul". He taught that the greatest need for mankind (self-actualization) was not Freudian (reconciliation with sexual issues) or Adlerian (need for power), but that everyone's lives must have MEANING.

The 7 needs have to do with, I believe, the way we correctly understand and live out the way God views us.
Meaning and fullfillment. Freud was really on an agenda to explain humanity in abscence of a bible, Creator and biblical view.

Frankl was a psych and philosopher. He also was open in putting his claims in context.

Quote:
The very base of logo-therapy is the purpose of life, “which admits of but one possibility of high moral behaviour: namely, in man’s attitude to his existence, and existence restricted by external forces.... Without suffering and death human life cannot be complete.” (1963, p. 106)
The very idea, that individual suffering is helpful on the path of human development, is also one of the basic teachings of Buddha, and is found in most – Eastern and Western - mystical traditions as well.

The integrated thinking of Frankl:

Although Frankl was a practicing psychologist all his life, at the same time he was also a philosopher. In 1948 he wrote his dissertation on philosophy. In this work, titled “The Unconscious God”, he examined the relationship between religion and psychology.

For all of his life he maintained the conviction that these should not be split disciplines.
Attitudinal values can only be developed by personal suffering. At the bottom of the existential values is transcendence. Only our acknowledgment of God’s transcendence can bring us to suprameaning (and personal well-being). And turning away from God is the ultimate source of pathological human conditions. Frankl states that when “the angel in us is repressed, he turns into a demon”. (1975, p. 70)
Old 11-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Has anyone heard of this before? It was mentioned in a daily devotional that I receive and have been posting in the Cafe Blog.

"Man was created to have seven basic needs. Each of us has a need for dignity, authority, blessing and provision, security, purpose and meaning, freedom and boundary, intimate love and companionship. When we go outside God’s provision to meet these needs, we get into trouble."

http://www.marketplaceleaders.org/bl...sus-our-value/
I can see the point. Depending on who you ask there might be a different number of needs labled differently, but the point isn't bad. Look at how God provided Adam's needs in the garden. Man has been trying to meet those needs in one way or another since the fall.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Stranger in a Strange Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by coadie View Post
Meaning and fullfillment. Freud was really on an agenda to explain humanity in abscence of a bible, Creator and biblical view.

Frankl was a psych and philosopher. He also was open in putting his claims in context.

Attitudinal values can only be developed by personal suffering. At the bottom of the existential values is transcendence. Only our acknowledgment of God’s transcendence can bring us to suprameaning (and personal well-being). And turning away from God is the ultimate source of pathological human conditions. Frankl states that when “the angel in us is repressed, he turns into a demon”. (1975, p. 70)
No argument there.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

they left out cake.

cake is a basic need.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Jesus is the only Lord God

Phil 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
...Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ...(Acts 20:21)
Old 11-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I can see the point. Depending on who you ask there might be a different number of needs labled differently, but the point isn't bad. Look at how God provided Adam's needs in the garden. Man has been trying to meet those needs in one way or another since the fall.
God was providing for those needs even before the fall.