Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-02-2021, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Basic Standards

Here's a loaded topic.

What standards do you think Apostolic men and women should hold? I want a list for each based on your conviction, understanding, and/or preference.

Let's get it rolling.

I'll give you all mine once a few have commented.

I got the idea for this thread because so many threads here on AFF get lost in the discussion of standards. Let's just dedicate a whole thread to standards for men and women.

Whatcha got?
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Re: Basic Standards

Standards being the application of Biblical commands or principles regarding appearance to our lives in our current culture. Different cultures may require different settings for clothing that is distinctively for women or for men.

* All: cover upper legs even when sitting, which means pass the knees
* All: cover all your torso, which includes high necklines
* All: sleeves to cover your armpits even when you raise your hands.
* All: no jewelry.
* All: moderation regarding cost, whatever is appropriate for the occasion, wedding vs going to work
* Man: short hair
* Woman: uncut hair
* Man: pants, long shorts pass the knees, etc..., no skirts
* Woman: skirts
* All: super tight clothing like lycras, and tights, are like being naked, therefore, the previous standards apply to the part being exposed even if behind those tight clothing pieces.

Last edited by coksiw; 02-02-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:52 PM
Covenant Apostolic

While standards are important, my heart is breaking for so many things right now like the state of our nation and the lukewarmness of an entertainment saturated church.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Jesus gave a wide ranging standard.

Matt. 5:48

Be ye therefore perfect even as your Father in Heaven is perfect.

Start with the sermon on the mount. Keep all his commandments and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

Spend at least an hour with Jesus everyday.

Expensive clothes are out. Modest clothes are in.

Men keep shirts on.

Women ankle length skirts.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
While standards are important, my heart is breaking for so many things right now like the state of our nation and the lukewarmness of an entertainment saturated church.
This.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Standards being the application of Biblical commands or principles regarding appearance to our lives in our current culture. Different cultures may require different settings for clothing that is distinctively for women or for men.

* All: cover upper legs even when sitting, which means pass the knees
* All: cover all your torso, which includes high necklines
* All: sleeves to cover your armpits even when you raise your hands.
* All: no jewelry.
* All: moderation regarding cost, whatever is appropriate for the occasion, wedding vs going to work
* Man: short hair
* Woman: uncut hair
* Man: pants, long shorts pass the knees, etc..., no skirts
* Woman: skirts
* All: super tight clothing like lycras, and tights, are like being naked, therefore, the previous standards apply to the part being exposed even if behind those tight clothing pieces.
While I think it is fine for a woman to trim her hair, it should long. But for the life of me, I have never understood the "no jewelry" standard. Personally, I do not like or use jewelry. But sin is the transgression of the Law. The moral code of God never forbade jewelry.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:28 PM
Liberty

Women should wear clothing.

Men should wear clothing.

Breath mints for ALL!
Old 02-02-2021, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
While I think it is fine for a woman to trim her hair, it should long. But for the life of me, I have never understood the "no jewelry" standard. Personally, I do not like or use jewelry. But sin is the transgression of the Law. The moral code of God never forbade jewelry.
Some jewls did have a meaning to it, for instance, a ring to be used to seal family stuff, among other things. It would be the equivalent to wearing a watch or a wedding ring nowadays.

Check this out:

"While they behold your chaste manner of life [coupled] with fear. Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing gold, or of putting on apparel; But [let it be] the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, [even the ornament] of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. For after this manner in former times the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their own husbands: Even as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement." - 1 Peter 3:2-6 WEB

Peter wrote that letter to the christians in Asia Minor, and he is appealing to the example of Sarah, who lived centuries before. Different culture, different setting. This is not a cultural issue, but a teaching for all generations.

Now pay attention to what exactly Peter appeals from Sarah: Meekness. Wearing jewls for the sake of adornment is the opposite of meekness.

Notice how Peter teaches about meekness as the seed, but also explains what the expected fruit is. You should teach to the heart but also clarify what the expected outward fruit is as well.

Last edited by coksiw; 02-02-2021 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Regarding uncut hair. The greek word for it in in 1 Cor can be translated as long hair or uncut hair. In fact, in the Spanish Bible RV1960 is translated as "uncut hair". Why? because there wasn't such a thing as long cut hair. Paul appeals to nature (creation, the beginning) to make his point. It is not a cultural issue, either.

Here, we are not the only ones that think that way:

Jewish Encyclopedia:
http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articl...1-hair#anchor3
Among women long hair is extolled as a mark of beauty (Cant. iv. 1, vii. 6). A woman's hair was never cut except as a sign of deep mourning or of degradation (Jer. vii. 29; comp. Deut. xxi. 12).
Old 02-02-2021, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Some jewls did have a meaning to it, for instance, a ring to be used to seal family stuff, among other things. It would be the equivalent to wearing a watch or a wedding ring nowadays.

Check this out:

"While they behold your chaste manner of life [coupled] with fear. Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing gold, or of putting on apparel; But [let it be] the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, [even the ornament] of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. For after this manner in former times the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their own husbands: Even as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement." - 1 Peter 3:2-6 WEB

Peter wrote that letter to the christians in Asia Minor, and he is appealing to the example of Sarah, who lived centuries before. Different culture, different setting. This is not a cultural issue, but a teaching for all generations.

Now pay attention to what exactly Peter appeals from Sarah: Meekness. Wearing jewls for the sake of adornment is the opposite of meekness.

Notice how Peter teaches about meekness as the seed, but also explains what the expected fruit is. You should teach to the heart but also clarify what the expected outward fruit is as well.

Peter did not say "don't wear any jewelry." He is speaking of the exuberance of outlandish and gaudy apparel, hairstyles, and jewelry.