Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:01 PM

Is The United Pentecostal Church Growing Up?

Quote:
"I am trying to show you, by God's Word, what constitutes real growth. And when we, as men and women of God, begin to know how to treat one another, how to talk to one another, how to fellowship one another, how to overlook one another's faults, and how to be tolerant of one another, we are growing up. “

Stanley W. Chambers
These words were spoken by General Superintendent Stanley W. Chambers during a message preached at our 1968 General Conference in Atlantic City, New Jersey. It is considered one of the greatest sermons ever preached in the sixty-three year existence of the UPC, and was titled “Can the United Pentecostal Church Survive the Onslaught of History?” In the message, Chambers repeatedly implores the ministers of the organization to give their word that history would not destroy the fundamental doctrine, standards of holiness, and exuberant worship that had so uniquely identified Oneness Pentecostals in the previous decades of the early, and mid, twentieth century.

Earlier this week, as I listened to the audio of that wonderful sermon again, I was struck by the wisdom of his words, and their prophetic import. Indeed, history has been at work for the past thirty-nine years. Using its most powerful weapons – gradualism and apathy – history has attempted to water down our understanding of the New Birth message, strip the church of its power and virtue, and woo us with the bauble of respectable denominationalism.

Think of all we have been through since that General Conference message was preached so many years ago. Insidious doctrines of men infiltrated our ranks, leading many astray. But men of God reacted decisively, and with wisdom, to correct our course. The Latter Rain movement, Divine Flesh heresy, and the advent of Preterism were all rejected by men of God who had given their word that false doctrine would never be accepted.

Many things have changed since Stanley W. Chambers asked “Can the Church Survive the Onslaught of History?” so many years ago. Hair and clothing styles have changed, evangelistic methods have changed, the world around us has changed, but here we stand, virtually the same. The United Pentecostal Church has been, by anyone’s measuring stick, enormously successful. We have not simply survived, we have thrived.

In my opinion, the only thing that can remove the favor of God from the United Pentecostal Church is our own unwillingness to interact with each other as Christians. History can not destroy the United Pentecostal Church, but we can. We can destroy it by refusing to grow up.

Quote:
"I am trying to show you, by God's Word, what constitutes real growth. And when we, as men and women of God, begin to know how to treat one another, how to talk to one another, how to fellowship one another, how to overlook one another's faults, and how to be tolerant of one another, we are growing up. “

Stanley W. Chambers
Is the issue at hand big enough to destroy us? Are we willing to throw away all that we have worked to build just to fortify strongholds of pride? Is non-essential dogma enough to sever the bonds of our fellowship? I certainly hope that emerging technology is not enough to destroy us. Is the United Pentecostal Church tolerant enough, and mature enough, to weather this present darkness?

www.pastorposter.com
My blog includes a link to the Herald transcript of the sermon.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
These words were spoken by General Superintendent Stanley W. Chambers during a message preached at our 1968 General Conference in Atlantic City, New Jersey. It is considered one of the greatest sermons ever preached in the sixty-three year existence of the UPC, and was titled “Can the United Pentecostal Church Survive the Onslaught of History?” In the message, Chambers repeatedly implores the ministers of the organization to give their word that history would not destroy the fundamental doctrine, standards of holiness, and exuberant worship that had so uniquely identified Oneness Pentecostals in the previous decades of the early, and mid, twentieth century.

Earlier this week, as I listened to the audio of that wonderful sermon again, I was struck by the wisdom of his words, and their prophetic import. Indeed, history has been at work for the past thirty-nine years. Using its most powerful weapons – gradualism and apathy – history has attempted to water down our understanding of the New Birth message, strip the church of its power and virtue, and woo us with the bauble of respectable denominationalism.

Continue at www.pastorposter.com

My blog includes a link to the Herald transcript of the sermon.
This really is heartwarming 1968 is when they threw Elder Burr and the rest out. So much for tolerance. It was dropped in his lap and he would NOT do anything.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:05 PM
HART2HART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
This really is heartwarming 1968 is when they threw Elder Burr and the rest out. So much for tolerance. It was dropped in his lap and he would NOT do anything.
Why was he "thrown" out?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Bro, why did they throw them out?
She makes me look good!

Quote:
Did they really "throw them out" or did Bro. Burr and the rest walk out willingly because they didn't agree with the direction of the org or something like that?
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2H View Post
Why was he "thrown" out?
Didn't want to pay tithes to a district if memory serves me correct. Had huge issues with church government and was very strident in his behaviour.

Made a lot of people mad! He had his supporters who also were the hardcore types.

They took their marbles and went home to form the AMC which for years castigated the UPC as a "harlot", etc, etc and predicted it's demise.

However over time the AMC has mellowed somewhat and while still ultra cons they don't seem to harbor the same total resentment for the UPC they once did. They are now more focused on fellowshipping like believers regardless of whether they are UPC, AMF, GIB, etc.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Non-Resident Redneck

It was a long way from Atlantic City to Texas, Louisianna and Oklahoma.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
It was a long way from Atlantic City to Texas, Louisianna and Oklahoma.
What does that mean?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 PM
She makes me look good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Didn't want to pay tithes to a district if memory serves me correct. Had huge issues with church government and was very strident in his behaviour.

Made a lot of people mad! He had his supporters who also were the hardcore types.

They took their marbles and went home to form the AMC which for years castigated the UPC as a "harlot", etc, etc and predicted it's demise.

However over time the AMC has mellowed somewhat and while still ultra cons they don't seem to harbor the same total resentment for the UPC they once did. They are now more focused on fellowshipping like believers regardless of whether they are UPC, AMF, GIB, etc.
So no one threw them out...right? (Sarcastically asked question)

BTW, I have a first cousin that went to Bro. Burr's church in Port Author for years....I remember his church well as a child when we'd go for a visit...that would be like from 1970-1978....
Old 09-20-2007, 09:16 PM
HART2HART

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post

I am interested in knowing if this is what Devito is refering to. If so he should retract his post concerning S W Chambers.