Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Re: Are we to repent for our ancestors past sins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
It's not like we're personally guilty. It's just taking responsibility for our ancestors actions, and making restitution where possible.
You make many valid points in your post but I don't think we have to "take responsibility" for crimes our ancestors committed over which we have no control. I might rephrase this as acknowledging our ancestor's actions as wrong. If there is a way to make restitution, then it should be done. But there are some historic injustices that restitution is impossible. Sometimes an apology is all that can be provided.

I think of the modern descendants of our 3rd president, Thomas Jefferson. Through DNA testing they have discovered that Jefferson had children with one of his slaves, Sally Hemings and has living descendants today. Sally was actually his late wife's half sister but since her mother was black, she remained enslaved.

How should the modern white Jefferson descendants treat the modern black Jefferson descendants? Are the white Jeffersons responsible to pay some sort of restitution to their black cousins for sins committed by their common ancestor back in the 18th century? Is it inevitable that someone will suggest that the black Jeffersons can now move on up to the east side where they can finally get a piece of the pie? (just kidding).
Old 08-19-2018, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
There are two perspectives. One is that we're all individuals. The other is that we are living extensions of our ancestors both biologically, socially, and even spiritually. Almost like individual cells of a single organism. We can greatly benefit or suffer from our ancestors misdeeds. And so the effect and reality of their actions continue to live on today to some degree in every one of our lives.

God seems to see mankind as a whole. For the majority of human history, from Adam himself, descendants have born the sin, and righteousness, of their ancestors.

I think when we speak of ancestral sin we can't see it as though we're personally responsible, because we're not. However we should acknowledge that what we have and what we are can often be traced back to their decisions and actions. So, we do well to confess the sins of our ancestors, and end any sin that has been perpetuated down through our generations (idolatry, incest, domestic violence, alcoholism, gambling, coursing, criminal enterprise, dehumanization, racism, womanizing, prostitution, etc.).

Coming clean be with God, as priests of our family lines, bringing generations of sin and offense before him, taking responsibility for making necessary changes, and righting wrongs, if at all possible, will transform our communities and our nation.

No we are not guilty, but we can set things right.

One great sin in our society is racism. It's alive and well because of the beliefs, actions, misinformation, lies, and biases of our ancestors.

We can repent of racism and end it in our lives, if we haven't already.

It's not like we're personally guilty. It's just taking responsibility for our ancestors actions, and making restitution where possible.
Guess this is the place I get off easy then, since I dont know them, I cannot put right any wrongs. Neither should I worry.
I think the whole ancestory /sin/repentance thing sounds a bit catholic....
Old 08-20-2018, 06:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonwas View Post
Guess this is the place I get off easy then, since I dont know them, I cannot put right any wrongs. Neither should I worry.
In your case, it sounds like you have a fresh start. But if you had family, and new the family history, righting wrongs and perhaps ending habitual family sins that have been passed down from generation to generation (like racism or alcoholism) could be important to address.

Quote:
I think the whole ancestory /sin/repentance thing sounds a bit catholic....
Eh, the Catholics got it from the Old Testament.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by derAlte View Post
You make many valid points in your post but I don't think we have to "take responsibility" for crimes our ancestors committed over which we have no control. I might rephrase this as acknowledging our ancestor's actions as wrong. If there is a way to make restitution, then it should be done. But there are some historic injustices that restitution is impossible. Sometimes an apology is all that can be provided.

I think of the modern descendants of our 3rd president, Thomas Jefferson. Through DNA testing they have discovered that Jefferson had children with one of his slaves, Sally Hemings and has living descendants today. Sally was actually his late wife's half sister but since her mother was black, she remained enslaved.

How should the modern white Jefferson descendants treat the modern black Jefferson descendants? Are the white Jeffersons responsible to pay some sort of restitution to their black cousins for sins committed by their common ancestor back in the 18th century? Is it inevitable that someone will suggest that the black Jeffersons can now move on up to the east side where they can finally get a piece of the pie? (just kidding).
You're right, sometimes all that can be given is acknowledgement and an apology. It might not be worth any monetary value, but for some, the mere acknowledgement and apology might mean something.

As far as our nation goes... going back to national policies and actions like institutionalized slavery and the genocide against the Native American Indians, about the only thing we can do is offer special college grants to those who might qualify and perhaps some form of tax exemption. And still, those actions are controversial in some circles. They are only thoughts on how far the government could reasonably go to make restitution.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:42 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

its worth noting that all of those OT passages about confessing the iniquity of the fathers, included sons who walked in their fathers iniquity.

Repentance isn't simply a confession off sin, rather an action that causes a change in course.

repenting for the sins of the father isn't about saying you are sorry for someone elses sin. It is entirely about recognizing why one is what they are and turning from it to walk whole before the Lord.

my own family is proof that yes. we confess the iniquity of the previous generations... for the purpose of walking away from it!

my parents married when my mom was 16 exrpressly to escape the brutal reality of her father.

I grew up in a home that at times had dysfunction. However that dysfunction was part of her struggle to not only escape but insure her family did not experience what she had. She walked with God and sought God and lived/lives her life both with a reality of the abuse in childhood and a continual commitment to insure that what is transmitted to the next generation doesn't look like that.

my children are being raised in a home without dysfunction. (That is no claim to perfection LOL...) We certainly aren't perfect, but my mothers commitment to not walking in the iniquity of the father insured that her grandchildren have no exposure to such awfulness.

While this might for some be an intellectual/doctrinal exercise, for me it is practical living. How many people do you know that continue to fall right back into messed up relathionships? That walk in the sins of their families?

The children of divorce are more likely to divorce. The abused often become abusers. the children of the incarcerated are far more likely to become images of what they despise.

God intended from the beginning positive mental health! that comes from a constant contact with Him and a regular personal review of ones own life (repentance). Repentance is directional. It requires honest conversations with God about our won behavior and actions. AND THEN FOLLOW UP that brings about changes in direction. Course correction.

Freud just thought he was breaking ground. He wasn't. He just came up with a counterfeit for what God intended from the beginning.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
its worth noting that all of those OT passages about confessing the iniquity of the fathers, included sons who walked in their fathers iniquity.

Repentance isn't simply a confession off sin, rather an action that causes a change in course.

repenting for the sins of the father isn't about saying you are sorry for someone elses sin. It is entirely about recognizing why one is what they are and turning from it to walk whole before the Lord.

my own family is proof that yes. we confess the iniquity of the previous generations... for the purpose of walking away from it!

my parents married when my mom was 16 exrpressly to escape the brutal reality of her father.

I grew up in a home that at times had dysfunction. However that dysfunction was part of her struggle to not only escape but insure her family did not experience what she had. She walked with God and sought God and lived/lives her life both with a reality of the abuse in childhood and a continual commitment to insure that what is transmitted to the next generation doesn't look like that.

my children are being raised in a home without dysfunction. (That is no claim to perfection LOL...) We certainly aren't perfect, but my mothers commitment to not walking in the iniquity of the father insured that her grandchildren have no exposure to such awfulness.

While this might for some be an intellectual/doctrinal exercise, for me it is practical living. How many people do you know that continue to fall right back into messed up relathionships? That walk in the sins of their families?

The children of divorce are more likely to divorce. The abused often become abusers. the children of the incarcerated are far more likely to become images of what they despise.

God intended from the beginning positive mental health! that comes from a constant contact with Him and a regular personal review of ones own life (repentance). Repentance is directional. It requires honest conversations with God about our won behavior and actions. AND THEN FOLLOW UP that brings about changes in direction. Course correction.

Freud just thought he was breaking ground. He wasn't. He just came up with a counterfeit for what God intended from the beginning.
I still dont get why you would confess the sins of your ancestry. when you repent for your own sin that includes all sin. Its not some extra repentance that includes things we do that we got from our parents. IMO
Old 08-20-2018, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Can someone show me where anyone repented for anyone else's sins in the New Testament?
We are not responsible for anyone's sins except our own.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Old 08-20-2018, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Old 08-20-2018, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

You explained it far better than I ever could.