Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
I believe that's the correct way to handle it. I started a thread a couple days ago regarding a pastor that in just the past few weeks has been changing all the "rules" and he's going to Tulsa. The church is confused and his stance is if you don't like it you can leave.

They've been there a lot longer than him, so why is it his decision?
So sad to see Deacon Blue head down that path....... LOL!!!! J/K

BTW - Where is the Deacon?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
So sad to see Deacon Blue head down that path....... LOL!!!! J/K

BTW - Where is the Deacon?
He started a thread yesterday - - he's working and pastoring, so he's not able to be here as often.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:34 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlan2057 View Post
Interesting.

If true, NOW we'll see how loudly money talks and how much conviction some of these preachers REALLY have.

Will Cardwell and Coon say: "I must stand behind my convictions and I'll go start another church somewhere - or at least try to split off and pastor the split"?

Or, when they think of the tithes and income left behind will they say: "Uh ... maybe I don't need to leave the UPC after all."

This would be devastating politically to any preachers in this trap where their churches are rising up.

Looking back, a lot of these "standards" and preachers vying to see who could preach it more "hard" and "straight" was the result of peer pressure and who could brag the most out under the campmeeting concession stand or the conference halls.

To be seen as too weak to overcome a "carnal" church board and pull a church out and join the rest of the Tulsa gang?

Wow.

THAT would be emasculating.

Anyway, kudos to these churches for being aware and standing up to what really, just amounts to foolishness.

I know both Cardwell and Coon well.

Cardwell's dad, Thomas C., was the longtime pastor of that church, a member of the Louisiana District Board for many years and as fine a man as you'd ever want to meet.

I liked Wayne. He preached for me and we played softball together at youth camp.

Wayne's dad seemed more moderate but Wayne seemed to be more influenced by his more radical brother-in-law, Steve McMullen.

The reports I'm hearing from some sources in DeQuincy, where I have many friends and now-by-divorce ex-family members, is that First UPC is losing quite a few members to Hennigan's.

Coon?

I'm surprised he was involved with this Tulsa thing anyway.

Once again .... if this is true, then kudos to these church boards for recognizing foolishness for what it is.

The DeQuincy deal is as odd a situation as one can name. I dont know how or why but Cardwells church and Hennigans church are about a half mile from each other.

It has been this way for decades. When my mom was a little girl, she and her family lived right next door to the church now pastored by Cardwell, and went to the church now pastored by Hennigan.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The DeQuincy deal is as odd a situation as one can name. I dont know how or why but Cardwells church and Hennigans church are about a half mile from each other.

It has been this way for decades. When my mom was a little girl, she and her family lived right next door to the church now pastored by cardwell, and went to the church now pastored by Hennigan.
Thats Louisiana UPC!!!! A church at every bend in the road. More splits than the ends of a UPC woman's uncut hair.

I have often wondered how mucy more effective Oneness Pentecost could be if the pettiness could be put aside and the three or four small churches in some of these relatiively small towns or rural areas could join together and pool their resources.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:41 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Thats Louisiana UPC!!!! A church at every bend in the road. More splits than the ends of a UPC woman's uncut hair.

I have often wondered how mucy more effective Oneness Pentecost could be if the pettiness could be put aside and the three or four small churches in some of these relatiively small towns or rural areas could join together and pool their resources.
dot dot dot... etc...

uhm...

check Alexandria....

for all the mumbling about how they strong arm others and keep everyone else out of "their town", the Manguns are very effective!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
dot dot dot... etc...

uhm...

check Alexandria....

for all the mumbling about how they strong arm others and keep everyone else out of "their town", the Manguns are very effective!
You are correct. I don't have a problem with rules limiting the number of churches in small towns but where it irks me is when a pastor will fight to keep another church form being started in a larger town.

Studies have shown that the vast majority of people will not travel far to attend church so there shouldn't be a problem having a church that is at least 15 minutes by car from another one in towns.

It is those little spot in the road towns with three or four UPC churches plus one or two independent ones that drives me nuts.

You are correct that the Manguns have demonstrated what can be done with concentrated resources and good leadership.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:40 AM
DOING THE FIRST WORKS

Quote:

It has been this way for decades. When my mom was a little girl, she and her family lived right next door to the church now pastored by Cardwell, and went to the church now pastored by Hennigan.
Truly amazing.

Going West from there just about a half mile is another independent ultra-con church pastored by Braniff.

Splits split.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:

They both run a comfortable number, too.

For that matter...everything in DeQuincy is about a half mile apart.

Fausto's sounds good....

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 01-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprehended View Post
Truly amazing.

Going West from there just about a half mile is another independent ultra-con church pastored by Braniff.

Splits split.
Braneff.

His church isn't the result of any kind of split.

To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—

Old 01-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
You are correct. I don't have a problem with rules limiting the number of churches in small towns but where it irks me is when a pastor will fight to keep another church form being started in a larger town.

Studies have shown that the vast majority of people will not travel far to attend church so there shouldn't be a problem having a church that is at least 15 minutes by car from another one in towns.

It is those little spot in the road towns with three or four UPC churches plus one or two independent ones that drives me nuts.

You are correct that the Manguns have demonstrated what can be done with concentrated resources and good leadership.
In DeQuincy, all three churches have fairly good memberships. (First Apostolic is the smallest, membership-wise.)