Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

One True Church

This is the Charisma Online editorial for Friday July 20.
Just wondered if you have any thoughts on it?
----------------
Pope Benedict’s Outrageous Announcement
By J. Lee. Grady

At a time when Roman Catholics ought to join the 21st century, the pontiff has declared that he is the head of the only true church. Give me a break.

As one who has tried to build bridges between Protestants and Roman Catholics, I cringed last week when Pope Benedict XVI released his shocking statement on “Catholic Identity.” In clear, non-negotiable and jaw-dropping terms, the pontiff stated that (1) only Catholics are true Christians; (2) other Christian denominations are “not true churches”; and (3) all non-Catholics lack the “means of salvation.”

Boom! Just like that, Benedict blew up every ecumenical bridge that has been built since the reforms of the Second Vatican Council of the 1960s.

With all respect to the most revered religious leader in the world, I think someone needs to wake up the pope and remind him—and the rest of the guys hibernating inside the Vatican—that we are living in the year 2007. His Excellency’s announcement sounded more like a press release from the 11th century.

The communiqué, released on July 10, was written in Italian. Given its medieval tone, you might have expected it to be handwritten on parchment in Latin. (Which, by the way, is the dead language Pope Benedict thinks all Catholics should still use during worship.)

It has been almost 500 years since Martin Luther first nailed his 95 theses on the Wittenburg door and ignited the Protestant Reformation. From that point the Holy Spirit’s river began to flow in so many new directions—gushing over the restrictive walls of the Catholic system and spilling into the nations of the world.

Today hundreds of millions of people have found salvation through the preaching of the gospel through non-Catholic churches: Lutheran, Anglican, Baptist, Brethren, Methodist, Pentecostal—you name it. All churches that proclaim faith in the resurrected Christ are part of the universal church that the Son of God purchased with His blood.

It is incredibly sad that Vatican leaders are so blind to what God has been doing outside their isolated little world for so many years. It is even sadder that Pope Benedict thinks that by issuing an edict from his office in Italy he can transport us into the past.

I know most Protestants probably just rolled their eyes when they heard about the pope’s announcement. Catholics who have been worshiping with Protestant Christians for years were probably also confused by it. Catholic charismatics, who have enjoyed fellowship with Protestants in recent years and experienced renewed faith and the power of the Holy Spirit, have now been told to break ties to those people since they are not true Christians.

I certainly don’t have an audience the size of the pope’s, but I can’t stay silent when he is promoting such a serious heresy. There are three simple truths from the Word of God that we must proclaim in order to set the record straight:

1. The church is composed of all born-again believers in Jesus Christ. The church is not a human institution. Though we may organize ourselves into denominations, we enjoy a mystical unity with all true Christians—regardless of our labels, ethnic backgrounds, pet doctrines or ecclesiastical traditions. The bond of the Holy Spirit makes true worshipers of Jesus into one big family.

2. No denomination can claim exclusive control of God’s truth. One definition of a cult is a sectarian group that claims it is the only way to heaven or salvation. But Catholics are not the only denominational group that has fallen into the heresy of spiritual elitism.

The Church of Christ, an American denomination formed in the 1800s, has often taught its members that they are the only true believers. And there are many so-called Oneness Pentecostals who believe that only those who are baptized according to their “Jesus only” formula are true Christians. These people are actually spreading error that is rooted in the worst form of Pharisaical pride.

3. Jesus is still praying for the unity of the universal church. He asked in John 17 that the Father would make His followers one. He was not praying that we would all join the same denomination, submit to the same pope or agree on every minor point of doctrine. His goal is that one day we will drop our selfish pride, competition and religious agendas so that we can cooperate across denominational lines to build His kingdom.

Unfortunately Pope Benedict has made it clear that he does not share these biblical values. He has sinned against Christ by dishonoring a majority of Christians. And by claiming to be the only true church he has placed Catholicism in the cult category.

Catholics who love Jesus more than they love the pope and their religious tradition should swiftly denounce his error.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 07-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Chan

It's not this guy's place to try to build bridges between Christians and Roman Catholics. To try to do so is like joining the bride of Christ to a harlot (and I don't mean the "whore of Babylon," since I don't believe that applies to the Roman Catholic Church). The guy who wrote the article accused the pope of heresy but the writer of that article is himself a heretic for believing that there are bridges to be built between the Church and Roman Catholicism.

The Pope was wrong in declaring that Roman Catholicism is the one true Church (since it is not part of the real Church at all) but he's got the right idea. After all, Jesus said that He is THE way, THE truth and THE life - not one way, truth or life among many. The exclusivism the pope was communicating is absolutely scriptural. The only thing is, though, that it is rightly applied to the real Church and not to Roman Catholicism.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan View Post
It's not this guy's place to try to build bridges between Christians and Roman Catholics. To try to do so is like joining the bride of Christ to a harlot (and I don't mean the "whore of Babylon," since I don't believe that applies to the Roman Catholic Church). The guy who wrote the article accused the pope of heresy but the writer of that article is himself a heretic for believing that there are bridges to be built between the Church and Roman Catholicism.

The Pope was wrong in declaring that Roman Catholicism is the one true Church (since it is not part of the real Church at all) but he's got the right idea. After all, Jesus said that He is THE way, THE truth and THE life - not one way, truth or life among many. The exclusivism the pope was communicating is absolutely scriptural. The only thing is, though, that it is rightly applied to the real Church and not to Roman Catholicism.

Well I think the article is fine.. Grady is simply stating after all that has occurred, the Pope should have enough sense to unite,(as the past Pope did) not create dissension. However this is not the only person in the world to claim to be the one true church, in this manner the Pope is no different that most UCOPS, of whom in my opine, have little room to condemn the Pope's braggadocios statement, for that have themselves have been proclaiming that for years.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sola gratia View Post
Well I think the article is fine.. Grady is simply stating after all that has occurred, the Pope should have enough sense to unite,(as the past Pope did) not create dissension. However this is not the only person in the world to claim to be the one true church, in this manner the Pope is no different that most UCOPS, of whom in my opine, have little room to condemn the Pope's braggadocios statement, for that have themselves have been proclaiming that for years.
But it is not "sense" to unite. It's nothing less than harlotry. It's joining the true with the false, the bride with the harlot. Of course, where the pope is wrong is in thinking the Roman Catholic Church is the one true Church when, in fact, the Roman Catholic Church is not part of the one true Church.

There really is only one true Church: the one that was birthed on the day of Pentecost!