Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

The problem of evil

A friend of mine the other day said logic is useless when talking about God. I disagree.

I've been a fan of William Lane Craig for a year or so, and I'm sure many of you know who he is, a very popular Christian apologetic. (Unfortunately, he's a Trinnie )

Atheists often use the problem of evil to supposedly prove that God could not exist, as he wouldn't allow such things.
Per one of his debates, see the below assertions.

(i) If God does not exist, objective moral values do not exist. If there is no God, moral values are either socio-biological by-products or just expressions of personal preference.

(ii) Evil exists. That's the premise of the atheist. There is real evil in the world.

(iii) Therefore, objective values do exist. Some things are really wrong.

(iv) Therefore, God exists.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: The problem of evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad87 View Post
A friend of mine the other day said logic is useless when talking about God. I disagree.

I've been a fan of William Lane Craig for a year or so, and I'm sure many of you know who he is, a very popular Christian apologetic. (Unfortunately, he's a Trinnie )

Atheists often use the problem of evil to supposedly prove that God could not exist, as he wouldn't allow such things.
Per one of his debates, see the below assertions.

(i) If God does not exist, objective moral values do not exist. If there is no God, moral values are either socio-biological by-products or just expressions of personal preference.

(ii) Evil exists. That's the premise of the atheist. There is real evil in the world.

(iii) Therefore, objective values do exist. Some things are really wrong.

(iv) Therefore, God exists.
I like WLC. I also like Van Til. The atheist assumes the existence of God in order to frame his/her position that God does not exist.

If there is truth, then there must be God, for truth as objective reality can only exist in a mind, and truth as objective reality must be necessary, therefore there must be a necessary Mind in which truth can exist (ie God). The atheist assumes there is such a thing as truth when they claim the bible or theism is 'not true'. They assume that 'there is no God' is an objective truth, thereby assuming the existence of God to 'prove God doesn't exist'. In other words, the atheist's worldview is inherently self-refuting.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Last edited by Esaias; 11-21-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling