Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
casual, church, cuff links, dress, gold, jcm, jeans, preacher, standards, suit, unhappy, white shirt, work

Old 01-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
People are so turned off by church now, its time to forget about ourselves, how good we look or perform, and show them JESUUUUUS!!!! *BTW, this will usually occur OUTSIDE of your church building*
If they saw a room full of people with a mug like that in your avatar then I would not blame them for being turned off

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
the same pride that parks a new car in the front hides a beat up junker in the back
not true. That would be pride vs shame

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
If there was a dress code in the New Testament Church I would follow it. We are given some principles.

Modesty being the key. Most people think of how much they should cover as modesty. That is true but it also includes the idea of wearing expensive clothes.

If a poor man comes to Church in vile raiment he is to be treated with exactly the same honor as those wearing suits and ties. It is relatively certain that Paul was not wearing the sharp, professional look people like nowadays.

10: We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.
11: Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace; 1 Cor. 4:10-11

Not very dignified right?

Would he be able to preach in places that prefer the Wall Street look?
We need to realize clothes don't make or break any of us. It's the situation that might demand a certain kind of clothing. In the OT some prophets were dirt poor...some were told to go around "naked"...others were court prophets and attired quite well. Jesus was attired better than John...but then again just about everyone was. Yet Jesus was the son of a carpenter...not the governer.

Perhaps when Paul was just a member of the Sanhedren he dressed nice....being someone that was on the run, stoned, chased out of down etc etc....he might have been "lucky" to have more than one change of clothes...lets not forget spending time in the ocean.

But then perhaps when he was dragged before a king they dressed him appropriately

Old 01-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
After the hurricane, before we got our old sanctuary fixed up enough to call it 'Church', we came every midweek service in 'casual' attire. Frankly, we didn't know what might happen as we were having to move furniture in and out every service, shift instruments around as water leaked at any given place and moved a 'makeshift' platform in and out every service.

For that reason we came in 'casual' on midweek services and - after a while - it took a toll on our services. Things became FAR too 'casual' in our services and it almost felt like people were scattered and not remotely focused. I had a meeting with our leaders and we ALL came in dressed for 'Church' and within two weeks our midweek was as powerful as our Sunday nights.

Not sure about all the dynamics of 'casual vs. dressy' but I do know this much... it absolutely can affect your services in a negative way after a while.
Maybe it just depends on your particular church or your area of the country. Our midweek service is extremely casual - blue jeans, sweat suits, etc. Most people just come straight from work. Wednesday nights are power packed and full of glory! I don't think God cares what we have on, as long as it's modest. I know our people don't care what anyone has on. We just come together with no outward worries and worship God. Besides, it's much easier to dance and shout (or even lay on the floor before God) in casual attire than in dressy stuff.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post
If you go back to the last posts I made on this thread, I was replying using the phrases that stood out to me when I read it.

Let me try again-

John The Baptist usually is depicted in Sunday School Books as looking like a caveman. This led to Tarzan. Then we have Jane witnessing to cheetah while Tarzan swoops through. I read the "gold grills" but did not understand the connection.

Sorry you missed my joining in the levity of this thread.
I enjoyed it. You are a very humerous Brother, and I personally like your great sense of humor.

Brother Benincasa

www.OnTimeJournal.com
Old 01-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

When I go to church I dress like I am going to church.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Amen.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
So do I, but it happens to be what I would wear most other places.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
So do I, but it happens to be what I would wear most other places.
I'm wearing a suit right now.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
I'm wearing a suit right now.
The reason he is wearing a suit right now is he knows so many of us are heathen that he feels like he is in the deepest of the trenches preaching right now Im kidding!!!!!!