Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Re: Who really is Satan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyJ View Post
Then do not read it.
After I read before I knew, then I made my mind to not read more. One has to read first to determine the conclusion, you know.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 04-18-2016, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
After I read before I knew, then I made my mind to not read more. One has to read first to determine the conclusion, you know.
Not if they are lead by the Spirit of God.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:51 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyJ View Post
Peter denied Jesus 3 times.
That means Peter
lied 3 times that he
did not know Jesus.

It is written...

Matthew 10
32 Whosoever therefore shall
confess me before men,
him will I confess also
before my Father
which is in heaven.

33 But whosoever shall
deny me before men,
him will I also deny
before my Father
which is in heaven.

Will Jesus honor His word
and deny Peter to God His Father?

John 6:70
Jesus answered them,
Have not I chosen you twelve,
and one of you is a devil?

Matthew 16:23
But he turned, and said unto Peter,
Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me:
for thou savourest not the things that be of God,
but those that be of men.

Is Satan the devil whom Jesus referred to Peter
or was Jesus referring to Peter as Satan the devil?
Luke 22:31-32 shows us that Peter's failure and denial of Christ would be temporary, and that Peter would be converted, because Jesus had prayed for him.

So, no, Jesus will not deny Peter before the Father.

When he said "and one of you is a devil" he was referring to Judas, not Peter.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 04-21-2016, 12:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Luke 22:31-32 shows us that Peter's failure and denial of Christ would be temporary, and that Peter would be converted, because Jesus had prayed for him.

So, no, Jesus will not deny Peter before the Father.

When he said "and one of you is a devil" he was referring to Judas, not Peter.
Explain to us why Jesus called
Peter Satan and Judas friend?
I would like to read your explanation.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Satan is a Hebrew word that means "adversary", or someone who is adverse, i.e. resistant to and in opposition of, someone or something.

In this way, anyone who approaches God in an adversarial way is a "satan". This doesn't make them ha-Satan, or THE Satan; it just means such a person is an enemy of God and His Christ.

Simon Peter resisted the idea that Jesus had to die in order for God's plan to be fulfilled. He was adverse to the idea of his Lord and Rabbi being taken away from him. This made Simon Peter, in that moment, a "satan", or adversary of both God the Father and the Son of God.

Yet, God was merciful and granted Simon Peter forgiveness and reconciled with Him through the cross of His Son and the atonement provided thereon.

So, in conclusion, there's no big, secret reason why Simon Peter was called "satan" or "adversary" by the Lord. It's plain and simple: for a time, Simon Peter was a satan/adversary.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/

Last edited by votivesoul; 11-24-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

If Peter was an apostate then Paul was because he endorses Peter. Peter was validated all through the epistles in the NT of the Bible. If you believe the Bible is the word of God then the scripture says to rightly divide the word of truth. Happy J you are using a few passages to go against the entire grain of the NT. Read the Bible as a whole and don't put scriptures against scriptures, but put scriptures alongside other scriptures.

Recently in Timothy I read where he was commanded to no longer drink water, but wine. Jesus asked a woman at the well to draw water for him. Contradictory? Other translations of the Bible say drink not only water, but take a little wine. Paul is implying to Timothy that he should not drink only water. Faith and the use of common sense is important when reading the scriptures.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
Satan is a Hebrew word that means "adversary", or someone is adverse, i.e. resistant to and in opposition of, someone or something.

In this way, anyone who approaches God in an adversarial way is a "satan". This doesn't make them ha-Satan, or THE Satan; it just means such a person is an enemy of God and His Christ.

Simon Peter resisted the idea that Jesus had to die in order for God's plan to be fulfilled. He was adverse to the idea of his Lord and Rabbi being taken away from him. This made Simon Peter, in that moment, a "satan", or adversary of both God the Father and the Son of God.

Yet, God was merciful and granted Simon Peter forgiveness and reconciled with Him through the cross of His Son and the atonement provided thereon.

So, in conclusion, there's no big, secret reason why Simon Peter was called "satan" or "adversary" by the Lord. It's plain and simple: for a time, Simon Peter was a satan/adversary.
Matthew 16:23
But he turned, and said unto Peter,
Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me:
for thou savourest not the things that be of God,
but those that be of men.

Matthew 4:10
Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan:
for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God,
and him only shalt thou serve.

You are telling me that Jesus called Peter,
Satan the adversary but not Satan the devil?

Is this what you are saying to me?

Last edited by HappyJ; 04-21-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
If Peter was an apostate then Paul was because he endorses Peter. Peter was validated all through the epistles in the NT of the Bible. If you believe the Bible is the word of God then the scripture says to rightly divide the word of truth. Happy J you are using a few passages to go against the entire grain of the NT. Read the Bible as a whole and don't put scriptures against scriptures, but put scriptures alongside other scriptures.

Recently in Timothy I read where he was commanded to no longer drink water, but wine. Jesus asked a woman at the well to draw water for him. Contradictory? Other translations of the Bible say drink not only water, but take a little wine. Paul is implying to Timothy that he should not drink only water. Faith and the use of common sense is important when reading the scriptures.
Explain to us why Jesus called
Peter, Satan and Judas friend?
I would like to read your explanation.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

Votive has already given a very sufficient answer. Jesus could be very well speaking to the spirit working in the back drop that could have caused Peter to oppose the will of God. Not to mention there was the temptation for Jesus to no follow through with his death. Gethsemane reveals that Jesus was not looking forward to his death. Peter's desire to take up for his Lord was not helping Jesus in his own battle over self.

If Peter was Satan, why then did Jesus say that Satan desired to sift Peter as wheat, but that He had prayed for Peter that his faith fail not. If Peter was Satan, why the need to sift him as wheat?

Quote:
26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
Judas was his own worst enemy and not Jesus' enemy. Jesus purposely chose all 12 disciples and Judas was loved by Jesus. Judas could have received the grace of God just like Peter had only he repented.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
Votive has already given a very sufficient answer. Jesus could be very well speaking to the spirit working in the back drop that could have caused Peter to oppose the will of God. Not to mention there was the temptation for Jesus to no follow through with his death. Gethsemane reveals that Jesus was not looking forward to his death. Peter's desire to take up for his Lord was not helping Jesus in his own battle over self.

If Peter was Satan, why then did Jesus say that Satan desired to sift Peter as wheat, but that He had prayed for Peter that his faith fail not. If Peter was Satan, why the need to sift him as wheat?

Judas was his own worst enemy and not Jesus' enemy. Jesus purposely chose all 12 disciples and Judas was loved by Jesus. Judas could have received the grace of God just like Peter had only he repented.
You are telling me that Jesus called Peter,
Satan the adversary but not Satan the devil?

Is this what you are saying to me?