Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

From Tim Downs..

Tim Downs
Top 4 Things that are ABSOLUTES for Great church Growth - (1.) Change your service to Sunday at 2:00 pm (2.) Quit playing the new carnal music (3.) Have daily outreaches (4.) Learn to love and disciple people. WHICH OF THESE FOUR ARE YOU DEAD SET AGAINST CHANGING and you will know why your not reaching your city.

He baptizes and witness to many people.

What to you think?

Carnal Music: I am a Friend of God, Dancing Generation, etc.

his new church plant

www.Atlantahopecenter.com

a related site
www.answeredhere.com
Old 04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Re: From Tim Downs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefaith2 View Post
Tim Downs
Top 4 Things that are ABSOLUTES for Great church Growth - (1.) Change your service to Sunday at 2:00 pm (2.) Quit playing the new carnal music (3.) Have daily outreaches (4.) Learn to love and disciple people. WHICH OF THESE FOUR ARE YOU DEAD SET AGAINST CHANGING and you will know why your not reaching your city.

What to you think?

his new church plant

a related site
www.answeredhere.com
Does that apply only during services or everywhere, (i.e, his website. )

Kidding.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Administrator

There's a disconnect when people take what works for them in their community and assume that it will work everywhere. The principles of a charitable, approachable, evangelistic, compassionate church can be applied everywhere, but the exact applications will (and should) vary.

I don't see what modern worship music has to do with anything.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 04-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Tim Downs

What to you think?

his new church plant

a related site
www.answeredhere.com
The church I go to sings doctrinally correct songs. They had to go to six services and had already outgrown the current building before it was finished. The services are at 5pm and 7pm Saturday and 9am and 11:15 on Sunday mornings. They usually turn away hundreds on Sunday morning. They do not advertise the church or any of the programs (in fact there are no programs), there is no organized outreach or church growth plan in place yet they have been deeded over 10 million in church facilities by two other churches who wanted them to take over.

The lead pastor is dead set against building a mega church but with 12,000 on the weekends they don't know what to do about space issues. As of now, the plan is to focus on church plants and seven have been planted so far.

Last month 280,000 was given to missions.

I really don't think church growth methods are the way to go. Preach the gospel and feed christ sheep and the people will show up.

http://www.sermoncentral.com/article...owing-Churches
Old 04-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Tim Downs

What to you think?

his new church plant

a related site
www.answeredhere.com

How is this song carnal, it's scripture. James 2:23
Old 04-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Reputation and popularity spoil a man.

When you think you can claim that YOU won thousands of souls to God, you start to feel like God?

I may be old school in many ways, but this talk about "carnal worship music" sounds like those PSR boys to me.

I planted, Apollos watered, God gives the increase. And it is the Spirit that draws all people to God. Let's keep our roles in perspective, stay humble and not feel like we are the Savior gurus.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Meaning: Play songs where we can manipulate the crowds into a fake experience that we convince them is real? Brothers, I'm sold out to an authentic Holy Ghost experience, not just this 1980's black choir stuff. Good music, bad music, contemporary, black gospel, or no music. It doesn't matter. He still is filling people with the Holy Ghost.

And those things are hardly related to "church growth."

I hate that our churches fight with each other over these things. Meanwhile, these charismatics and compromisers pick up the scrap and casualties from our infighting.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks Fife View Post
...I planted, Apollos watered, God gives the increase. And it is the Spirit that draws all people to God. Let's keep our roles in perspective, stay humble and not feel like we are the Savior gurus.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 04-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

I watched a video on this guys website. I see no difference in what he is doing and what many baptist and methodist do in proclaiming people saved after the sinner's prayer.

That guy on the video repeated a prayer, was baptized, and prayed and now he is supposed to be declared a won soul? Hardly any sigh of the fruits of the spirit or sign of conversion just a get out of jail card.

It is just not biblical.

People are saved by the preaching of the word.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
I watched a video on this guys website. I see no difference in what he is doing and what many baptist and methodist do in proclaiming people saved after the sinner's prayer.

That guy on the video repeated a prayer, was baptized, and prayed and now he is supposed to be declared a won soul? Hardly any sigh of the fruits of the spirit or sign of conversion just a get out of jail card.

It is just not biblical.

People are saved by the preaching of the word.
Acts 2:38-42 .. many repented and were baptized, 3000 in one day

How is that not biblical? Because a sermon wasn't preached?