Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
baptism, baptized, holy spirit, salvation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 03-08-2014, 03:55 PM
RJR RJR is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 301
Re: Is This True?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin View Post
Peter was very specific on how to be saved in Acts 2:21. What part of saved do you not understand?

*[[Act 2:21]] KJV* And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Joh 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture

Act 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

1Th 2:16..  ..Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.

Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

Act 11:14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.

2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

Luk 7:50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Luk 8:12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

Mat 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Mat 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
Mat 24:13..But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

1Pe 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Luk 13:23 Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,
Luk 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

Tit 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

1Pe 4:18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

Ok you decide for us which single factor saves? Through the Son, Jesus the door, grace, believing through grace, grace through faith, mercy, preaching, the word, the name, keeping in memory what was preached, receiving the love of the truth, enduring to the end, believeth and is baptized, water, renewing of the Holy Ghost, being righteous? This is not even a complete list.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 03-08-2014, 04:14 PM
TyronePalmer's Avatar
TyronePalmer TyronePalmer is offline
OneLordOneFaithOneBaptism


 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kenosha,WI
Posts: 137
Re: Is This True?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin View Post
It's so simple. A direct question was asked in the bible and a direct answer was given.

Act 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Now folks want to complicate it by you have to blah blah blah and then you have to blah blah blah blah and then you might be saved.

What must I do to be saved? (See answer above) And forget about a lot of jumping through the hoops of the hundreds of salvation plans out there.
Did you forget to quote the rest of the scriptures about the jailer and all his household?

Acts 16:32-34

"Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes.And immediately he and all his family were baptized. Now when he had brought them into his house, he set food before them; and he rejoiced, having believed in God with all his household."

Paul himself was converted by the laying on of hands by the disciple Ananias and filled with the Holy Spirit, then he was immediately baptized in water. If that's what he did in order to be saved or enter the kingdom of God, why would he preach anything different?

Acts 9:17-18

"And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” Immediately there fell from his eyes something like scales, and he received his sight at once; and he arose and was baptized."
__________________
Matthew 24:13-14 "But he who endures to the end shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come."
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03-08-2014, 04:42 PM
RJR RJR is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 301
Re: Is This True?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyronePalmer View Post
Did you forget to quote the rest of the scriptures about the jailer and all his household?

Acts 16:32-34

"Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes.And immediately he and all his family were baptized. Now when he had brought them into his house, he set food before them; and he rejoiced, having believed in God with all his household."

Paul himself was converted by the laying on of hands by the disciple Ananias and filled with the Holy Spirit, then he was immediately baptized in water. If that's what he did in order to be saved or enter the kingdom of God, why would he preach anything different?

Acts 9:17-18

"And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” Immediately there fell from his eyes something like scales, and he received his sight at once; and he arose and was baptized."
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 03-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Pressing-On's Avatar
Pressing-On Pressing-On is offline
Not riding the train


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 48,539
Re: Is This True?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyronePalmer View Post
Did you forget to quote the rest of the scriptures about the jailer and all his household?

Acts 16:32-34

"Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes.And immediately he and all his family were baptized. Now when he had brought them into his house, he set food before them; and he rejoiced, having believed in God with all his household."

Paul himself was converted by the laying on of hands by the disciple Ananias and filled with the Holy Spirit, then he was immediately baptized in water. If that's what he did in order to be saved or enter the kingdom of God, why would he preach anything different?

Acts 9:17-18

"And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” Immediately there fell from his eyes something like scales, and he received his sight at once; and he arose and was baptized."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 03-09-2014, 01:53 AM
shazeep shazeep is offline
Banned


 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: chasin Grace
Posts: 9,594
Re: Is This True?

"Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?"
these accepted ones did none of the things you have required above

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice..."

prolly every, single thing you were told in church is wrong; or at least you better verify, yeh?

Last edited by shazeep; 03-09-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:03 AM
Michael The Disciple's Avatar
Michael The Disciple Michael The Disciple is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 14,638
Re: Is This True?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyronePalmer View Post
Did you forget to quote the rest of the scriptures about the jailer and all his household?

Acts 16:32-34

"Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes.And immediately he and all his family were baptized. Now when he had brought them into his house, he set food before them; and he rejoiced, having believed in God with all his household."

Paul himself was converted by the laying on of hands by the disciple Ananias and filled with the Holy Spirit, then he was immediately baptized in water. If that's what he did in order to be saved or enter the kingdom of God, why would he preach anything different?

Acts 9:17-18

"And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” Immediately there fell from his eyes something like scales, and he received his sight at once; and he arose and was baptized."
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 03-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Pressing-On's Avatar
Pressing-On Pressing-On is offline
Not riding the train


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 48,539
Re: Is This True?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
"Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?"
these accepted ones did none of the things you have required above

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice..."

prolly every, single thing you were told in church is wrong; or at least you better verify, yeh?
This is the same type of parable as the wise and foolish virgins; the one being left and taken in the bed, grinding and in the field; not everyone who says Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom...etc.

Just because the Word instructs "everyone", doesn't mean that is going to happen.

I don't share your view that everything we've been taught in church has been wrong.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 03-09-2014, 10:25 AM
shazeep shazeep is offline
Banned


 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: chasin Grace
Posts: 9,594
Re: Is This True?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
This is the same type of parable as the wise and foolish virgins; the one being left and taken in the bed, grinding and in the field; not everyone who says Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom...etc.

Just because the Word instructs "everyone", doesn't mean that is going to happen.

I don't share your view that everything we've been taught in church has been wrong.
hmm. maybe i didn't put that so well. but i will say that there is Life after church, for those who seek Christ but cannot seem to find Him there. Also, i have been privileged to study under some great pastors--as in 'coming from love,' and not necessarily famousness--and, after all, i came to Christ because of the church...everything works together for good, i guess. but you might seek the book of the same name, Everything you know is wrong, it was an eye-opener.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Pressing-On's Avatar
Pressing-On Pressing-On is offline
Not riding the train


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 48,539
Re: Is This True?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
hmm. maybe i didn't put that so well. but i will say that there is Life after church, for those who seek Christ but cannot seem to find Him there. Also, i have been privileged to study under some great pastors--as in 'coming from love,' and not necessarily famousness--and, after all, i came to Christ because of the church...everything works together for good, i guess. but you might seek the book of the same name, Everything you know is wrong, it was an eye-opener.
Thanks, I never read those types of books. I am now reading, Christ the Healer, F.F. Bosworth.

Have a good one, gotta run...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 03-09-2014, 10:50 AM
justlookin justlookin is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 413
Re: Is This True?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Joh 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture

Act 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

1Th 2:16..  ..Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.

Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

Act 11:14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.

2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

Luk 7:50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Luk 8:12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

Mat 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Mat 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
Mat 24:13..But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

1Pe 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Luk 13:23 Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,
Luk 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

Tit 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

1Pe 4:18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

Ok you decide for us which single factor saves? Through the Son, Jesus the door, grace, believing through grace, grace through faith, mercy, preaching, the word, the name, keeping in memory what was preached, receiving the love of the truth, enduring to the end, believeth and is baptized, water, renewing of the Holy Ghost, being righteous? This is not even a complete list.
Thanks for the scriptures, and as you pointed out it's not an exhaustive list.

I'd never decide for anyone, other than myself, which factor saves. What I am seeing here, and it's generally true for whatever denomination one follows, are folks trying to do exactly that though. Attempting to decide for us which scripture concerning salvation is complete within itself. Does John 3:16 within itself really offer eternal life? Does Romans 10:9-10 within itself really promise one's salvation? Or is John 3:16 or Romans 10:9-10 incomplete, lacking the essential details, needing more than what is promised in the passages?

How about Acts 2:38? Is one promised salvation in the passage? Is it complete within itself? Or, as above, is Acts 2:38 really not offering salvation if one follows the scripture?

The response many times to such questions is 'one must take the whole counsel of God'. The question then becomes what combination of scriptures are offered which guarantees, promises, offers life and not death, salvation and not condemnation? If Acts 2:38 doesn't offer that, or John 3:16 doesn't offer that, or Romans 10:9-10 doesn't offer that, or Acts 2:21 doesn't offer that, or Acts 16:31 doesn't offer that, what can we find in scripture which does offer these things concerning eternal life and salvation?

The direct question of "what must I do to be saved" received an incomplete answer, according to some. Paul was offering yet another partial plan when he taught to confess with your mouth, believe in your heart. John had yet another teaching that one really cannot have eternal life though believing in Jesus Christ. Still others, who dismiss those teachings, will also dismiss Peter's specific words "whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved".

What is the true scripture which promises eternal life and salvation? Or what combination of scriptures. I ask you a similar question that you asked me. Which single factor or combination of factors offers a guarantee, a promise of eternal life and salvation?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is this true? Sister Alvear Fellowship Hall 1 05-30-2011 09:09 AM
is this true? Sister Alvear Fellowship Hall 10 04-07-2011 11:35 PM
Is this true? jfrog Fellowship Hall 11 03-17-2011 11:31 AM
Is This True? DanielR Fellowship Hall 4 05-05-2008 11:48 AM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Salome

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.