Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-23-2021, 02:14 PM
New User

Re: Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker/The PTL Club Controver

https://www.fda.gov/inspections-comp...04820-03062020
Old 06-23-2021, 02:16 PM
New User

https://www.forbes.com/sites/palashg...h=3f8485ad2875
Old 06-23-2021, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post

SoÖ make it up as you goÖ just blame the spiritÖ sounds like thatís what some people are doing.

ďI donít have scripture, but the spiritÖ.Ē

Well, what spirit, exactly?

SMH!

Make it up as you go. Not at all.

You know better than that. We txt, we know the same people. In order words Iím saying this, a couple on this forum are like those sinners that say, I wonít quit smoking until it says it in the Bible. I wonít stop watching my TV until itís says, ďthou shalt not own a TVĒ same devil different dress. The same question I asked earlier, Iíll ask in another way, why do you need the Bible to specifically tell you not to smoke? Why do you need the Bible to specifically tell you not to watch Television?

Is the word of God important absolutely. Yet, you and I were not around as this word was written. Yet for our admonition it was written for us.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Nicodemus, did you outgrow the Bible?
Why would you ask if I outgrew the Bible?

Because I simply asked why some need the scriptures to specifically say they canít do a certain thing?

I understand some will get there pants in a knot because all they have is the letter.

So to answer your question, No I havenít outgrown the Bible.

Now, allow me to ask you a question, what do YOU do in areas the Bible doesnít specifically speak against or for?
Old 06-23-2021, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
The hypocrisy of quoting scripture, for supporting your belief that you shouldn’t need scripture to support your doctrine.

The Pharisees don’t have anything on our own Brother Nicodemus 68.

When you preach a sermon?

Do you quote a Bible text?

Why?

Or

Why not?
Lol! All this because I asked why some need the Bible to specifically tell them not to do certain things?

Tithe man your the same person that supports your Pastor and was happy to post about how he will have a corona every now and again. Why, because in the times of the Bible they used wine, so therefore according to you Jesus is perfectly ok with a individual having a beer every now and again. Talk about using the scriptures to support a twisted doctrine.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Just come on out and say it: you don't follow the Bible. It is not the final authority for faith and practice as far as you are concerned. You are far more spiritual than to need some dusty old book.

Or, you can get apostolic:.
Nothing wrong with the Bible. I never said not to read or follow the Bible.

Yet, Esaias, you should try talking to the final authority sometime. It'll do you some good.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
Lol! All this because I asked why some need the Bible to specifically tell them not to do certain things?

Tithe man your the same person that supports your Pastor and was happy to post about how he will have a corona every now and again. Why, because in the times of the Bible they used wine, so therefore according to you Jesus is perfectly ok with a individual having a beer every now and again. Talk about using the scriptures to support a twisted doctrine.
What?!

Please post where I ever said this.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Because I simply asked why some need the scriptures to specifically say they can’t do a certain thing?

I understand some will get there pants in a knot because all they have is the letter.

So to answer your question, No I haven’t outgrown the Bible.

Now, allow me to ask you a question, what do YOU do in areas the Bible doesn’t specifically speak against or for?
Well, what the Apostles did, which just makes sense?

Apostles applying the commandment directly, for example:

Quote:
``Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. ``Honor your father and mother,'' which is the first commandment with promise: ``that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.'''' - Ephesians 6:1-3 NKJV

Apostles applying the underlying principle, for example:

Quote:
``Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever?'' - 2 Corinthians 6:14-15 NKJV
The context of that passage is holiness. Compare with this commandment:

Quote:
``Nor shall you make marriages with them. You shall not give your daughter to their son, nor take their daughter for your son. For they will turn your sons away from following Me, to serve other gods; so the anger of the LORD will be aroused against you and destroy you suddenly.'' - Deuteronomy 7:3-4 NKJV
That commandment is not directly applicable to us, but the underlying principle of holiness is. If the direct application of a commandment ends in cultural absurdity, it is a good indication that it is not directly applicable. For example, there was that commandment about marrying only people from Israel. It would be absurd to interpret the commandment directly, however Peter did use the underlying principle to find God's will regarding holiness when marrying.

Another example of underlying principle applied by the apostles. Notice how Paul unearths the underlying principle:

Quote:
``Do I say these things as a [mere] man? Or does not the law say the same also? For it is written in the law of Moses, ``You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain.'' Is it oxen God is concerned about? Or does He say [it] altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, [this] is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown spiritual things for you, [is it] a great thing if we reap your material things? If others are partakers of [this] right over you, [are] we not even more? Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ.'' - 1 Corinthians 9:8-12 NKJV

It refers to this commandment:

Quote:
``You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out [the grain].'' - Deuteronomy 25:4 NKJV

Apostles using examples (which you could find commandments as well):

Many O.T. examples show us the righteousness of God punishing iniquity on one side, and rewarding obedient faith, repentance, and righteousness on the other side.

Quote:
``Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted. And do not become idolaters as [were] some of them. As it is written, ``The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.'' Nor let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell; nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents; nor complain, as some of them also complained, and were destroyed by the destroyer. Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.'' - 1 Corinthians 10:6-11 NKJV

The Apostles also used the good examples from godly people.

Quote:
``Wives, likewise, [be] submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives, when they observe your chaste conduct [accompanied] by fear. Do not let your adornment be [merely] outward--arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on [fine] apparel-- rather [let it be] the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible [beauty] of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God. For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, whose daughters you are if you do good and are not afraid with any terror.'' - 1 Peter 3:1-6 NKJV
Or the bad examples from ungodly ones.

Quote:
``They have forsaken the right way and gone astray, following the way of Balaam the [son] of Beor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;'' - 2 Peter 2:15 NKJV
They also applied the Genesis Narrative to teach the will of God:

This is an example of Jesus using the Genesis creation narrative to draw a conclusion of what the perfect will of God is.

Quote:
``The Pharisees also came to Him, testing Him, and saying to Him, ``Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for [just] any reason?'' And He answered and said to them, ``Have you not read that He who made [them] at the beginning `made them male and female,' and said, `For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.'' They said to Him, ``Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?'' He said to them, ``Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.'''' - Matthew 19:3-9 NKJV
There are more examples of the use of the Genesis narrative to determine the will of God or determine what is normal or natural. For example: Romans 1:26-27, 1 Timothy 2:11-14, 1 Corinthians 11:14-15.

Common sense. I do have a doctrine about it, and it is Scriptural, and apostolic.

Last edited by coksiw; 06-23-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:18 PM
Jesus is the only Lord God

Quote:

Because I simply asked why some need the scriptures to specifically say they canít do a certain thing?

Now, allow me to ask you a question, what do YOU do in areas the Bible doesnít specifically speak against or for?
keep quiet ?
...Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ...(Acts 20:21)
Old 06-23-2021, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGBTG View Post
keep quiet ?
Quote:

Keep quiet?

Arenít we supposed to speak when the Bible speaks and be quiet when the Bible is quiet?