Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 07-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Go Dodgers!

Oh, NOW Powell Understands What a Liberal is?

Colin Powell, who broke ranks with the Republican Party last year to endorse Barack Obama, now worries that the president's agenda is increasing the size of government and the federal debt to alarming levels.

"I'm concerned at the number of programs that are being presented, the bills associated with these programs and the additional government that will be needed to execute them," the former secretary of state told CNN in an interview to air Sunday.

Powell offered the president some standard Republican advice:
"The right answer is, give me a government that works, keep it as small as possible," said Powell, who said he stays in touch with Obama and has spoken to him recently.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...est=latestnews

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Re: Oh, NOW Powell Understands What a Liberal is?

he voted for him, so he can look in the mirror.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Location: just north of the celtics red sox and patriots go baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Colin Powell, who broke ranks with the Republican Party last year to endorse Barack Obama, now worries that the president's agenda is increasing the size of government and the federal debt to alarming levels.

"I'm concerned at the number of programs that are being presented, the bills associated with these programs and the additional government that will be needed to execute them," the former secretary of state told CNN in an interview to air Sunday.

Powell offered the president some standard Republican advice:
"The right answer is, give me a government that works, keep it as small as possible," said Powell, who said he stays in touch with Obama and has spoken to him recently.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...est=latestnews
he might be talking to him but bho aint listening, next time colin listen, we told ya so
Old 07-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Powell let the race thing cloud his judgement, IMO.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Powell let the race thing cloud his judgement, IMO.
I really think we have to be careful how we throw that accusation around. It is wrong and frustrating to accuse all white people who oppose BHO of doing so simply because he is black. I think it is equally wrong and frustrating to accuse all black people who support him of doing so simply because he is black. If one is wrong, they both are, IMO. It's basically the same thing just done to take shots at opposite groups of people. There was plenty to suggest that Powell was very unhappy with where GWB, the admin, and by extension the GOP was heading for years.

Personally, I think it is refreshing and true democracy when people actually don't feel obligated to continue to blindly support somebody just because they voted for them. If more people really voiced displeasure when they feel like their candidate was straying, it may keep the politicians from getting too comfortable.
I applaud Jermyn for being real enough to voice his displeasure here with BHO whenever he feels BHO is wrong. I think he sends the message that any politician better deliver if he hopes to gain his vote in the future...that is a good message to send.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 07-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstew View Post
I really think we have to be careful how we throw that accusation around. It is wrong and frustrating to accuse all white people who oppose BHO of doing so simply because he is black. I think it is equally wrong and frustrating to accuse all black people who support him of doing so simply because he is black. If one is wrong, they both are, IMO. It's basically the same thing just done to take shots at opposite groups of people. There was plenty to suggest that Powell was very unhappy with where GWB, the admin, and by extension the GOP was heading for years.

Personally, I think it is refreshing and true democracy when people actually don't feel obligated to continue to blindly support somebody just because they voted for them. If more people really voiced displeasure when they feel like their candidate was straying, it may keep the politicians from getting too comfortable.
I applaud Jermyn for being real enough to voice his displeasure here with BHO whenever he feels BHO is wrong. I think he sends the message that any politician better deliver if he hopes to gain his vote in the future...that is a good message to send.
Great post Tstew. I concur completely.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:

well said
Old 07-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

The reality is race played a huge roll in this thing. To deny that is, well, being in denial. There has to be a hidden or maybe not so hidden excitement to see a fellow black man in the high office consifering the history of the country past race issues and the chance to have it happened was the motivating factor for many, IMO.

Powell himslef said he cried when Obama was elected, WHY? Because he's pro gay and abortion? because of his tax plan? Healthcare?

Why would Powell cry when Obama won?

I have serious doubts he would have thrown his support behind a white democratic. The possibility of making history was huge pulling force.

Not saying all this is even bad because for years one couldn't get in because of race. For years a black man couldn't get in because of race, this time one got in because of it. Race is still huge for us and politics, on both sides.

If roles were reversed and it was a first white prez, it would be the same excitement and partiality.

God bless

Old 07-05-2009, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

Location: just north of the celtics red sox and patriots go baby!

exactly t seeker , for years powell was criticized for being not black enough for being on whites side even dare i say i an uncle tom ? so to speak, he was hammered unmercifully by some, even alot of the black community so the one time he goes the opposite way why are WE supposed to be careful in pointing it out ? my point has always been you cant criticize him because if ya do your bordering on or are racist, im sick of it, there is no way that most of the people who voted for him knew anything about him, the media wouldnt even speak about the fact his middle name was hussein. and a lot of people that voted for him, when told about it , wouldnt believe it and dont tell me it aint important it is, its also important to know why he changed his name from barry but no one wants to discuss that either. why are blacks throwing around the N word left and and right but whites cant . see i cant even print it i most likely would be banned why ? these questions have nothing to do with his color but now yall can call me racist anyway. the blacks that voted for him did so because he was they would have voted him regardless of what he stood for ,and then john thompson the great college basketball coach said" im going to have tears in my eyes when that boy takes the oath" why john ? o and why can he use that word but God forbid if whites do i refused to engage in white guilt by voting for him and frankly thats why he got a lot of white votes. having said all this one final comment to our critics abroad and here at home ONLY IN A AMERICA WOULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED !nowhere else in the world . im glad i live here anyway !
Old 07-05-2009, 08:11 AM
La vie est un voyage

[QUOTE=oletime;768237]exactly t seeker , for years powell was criticized for being not black enough for being on whites side even dare i say i an uncle tom ? so to speak, he was hammered unmercifully by some, even alot of the black community so the one time he goes the opposite way why are WE supposed to be careful in pointing it out ? my point has always been you cant criticize him because if ya do your bordering on or are racist, im sick of it, there is no way that most of the people who voted for him knew anything about him, the media wouldnt even speak about the fact his middle name was hussein. and a lot of people that voted for him, when told about it , wouldnt believe it and dont tell me it aint important it is, its also important to know why he changed his name from barry but no one wants to discuss that either. why are blacks throwing around the N word left and and right but whites cant . see i cant even print it i most likely would be banned why ? these questions have nothing to do with his color but now yall can call me racist anyway. the blacks that voted for him did so because he was they would have voted him regardless of what he stood for ,and then john thompson the great college basketball coach said" im going to have tears in my eyes when that boy takes the oath" why john ? o and why can he use that word but God forbid if whites do i refused to engage in white guilt by voting for him and frankly thats why he got a lot of white votes. having said all this one final comment to our critics abroad and here at home ONLY IN A AMERICA WOULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED !nowhere else in the world . im glad i live here anyway ![/QUOTE]

Me too!!

Good points. There were two reasons he got in. Because he was black or at least half black and so many people disliked President Bush. By the time it's all over they will dislike Obama even more. One black woman said" I don't care if he is a crook I'm gonna vote for him anyhow because he is balck".