Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
incarnate, jesus, pre-existent, son, word

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Jermyn Davidson's Avatar
Jermyn Davidson Jermyn Davidson is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In His Hands
Posts: 13,911
Re: Personal, Fresh Revelation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
If A = B exactly and totally then B = A. However if A is a proper subset of B, then B is not a subset of A. I would say the statement "The Word is God" is closer to subsets than equality.Consider this. The Word was with God. If the Word is with God this implies that the Word is not God (because we know God is one so anything with him cannot be him). So if we take the statement the Word is God by itself, then we might assume that the Word = God. However, if we take the statement "the Word was with God" then we would be forced to assume the Word is not equal to God. Both of these things cannot be true if we accept these statements as both implying equality in the traditional sense. In other words, both of the statements the Word is God and the Word is with God cannot both be used to imply equality.

I appreciate your logic, but I disagree with you.

Or maybe we're meaning the same ting, but saying it differently-- that kind of thing happens in these kinds of discussions.



If I were to record you on an audio tape, and then play the tape back, would I be hearing you?

Would I be able to say, "That is you."

Now are you that tape recorder?
Are you that tape on the reel?
No.


Now the Son of God is the Word of God made flesh.
In Jesus, we have more than an audio recording of the Father.

When we speak, we don't visibly create anything, but the Old Testament says that God spoke the world into existence. The New Testament says that Jesus created the world. The only way for both to be true is for Jesus to be the physical embodiment of the Word of God.
__________________
"The choices we make reveal the true nature of our character."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-12-2009, 08:58 PM
jfrog's Avatar
jfrog jfrog is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8,997
Re: Personal, Fresh Revelation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
JFrog and others, You need to understand that in the greek, when John wrote this, he was not intending to say "he" for the sake of identifying the Logos as another person. In greek logos is a masculine noun and in greek nouns and pronouns MUST agree in number, case and gender.

In other words had the noun logos been neuter John would have called the Logos an 'it'.
nowhere was my arguement based off the pronoun he
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Jermyn Davidson's Avatar
Jermyn Davidson Jermyn Davidson is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In His Hands
Posts: 13,911
Re: Personal, Fresh Revelation!

However, all of this is off the subject of what I am happy about.
__________________
"The choices we make reveal the true nature of our character."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-12-2009, 09:09 PM
jfrog's Avatar
jfrog jfrog is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8,997
Re: Personal, Fresh Revelation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
I appreciate your logic, but I disagree with you.

Or maybe we're meaning the same ting, but saying it differently-- that kind of thing happens in these kinds of discussions.



If I were to record you on an audio tape, and then play the tape back, would I be hearing you?

Would I be able to say, "That is you."

Now are you that tape recorder?
Are you that tape on the reel?
No.


Now the Son of God is the Word of God made flesh.
In Jesus, we have more than an audio recording of the Father.

When we speak, we don't visibly create anything, but the Old Testament says that God spoke the world into existence. The New Testament says that Jesus created the world. The only way for both to be true is for Jesus to be the physical embodiment of the Word of God.
I think we are saying two different things, though alot of times you are right that people just say the same thing differently.

I like your analogy of a tape recorder. Not sure where to really go with it though but I like the thought.

My biggest point is be careful that you don't get so caught up thinking the word was God, that you forget that the word was with God. John depicts a thing that is simultaneosuly separate from God (by being with God) and the same as God (by being God). Don't forget about the seperateness in your explanations.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-12-2009, 09:10 PM
jfrog's Avatar
jfrog jfrog is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8,997
Re: Personal, Fresh Revelation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
However, all of this is off the subject of what I am happy about.
oh, what are you happy about?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Praxeas's Avatar
Praxeas Praxeas is offline
Go Dodgers!


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 45,773
Re: Personal, Fresh Revelation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
The Word, he that was with God, he made all things, in him was life, and he was made flesh.

The Word, he that was God, he made all things, in him was life, and he was made flesh.

Both of these are needed to form the biblical concept The Word.

God cannot be with God right? Isn't that the contention of oneness with the trinity? But John speaks, he that was with God, he was God. He that was God, he was with God.

So The Word who was God, was with God... Yet God cannot be with God... It's really quite to much to put your head around I think :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
JFrog and others, You need to understand that in the greek, when John wrote this, he was not intending to say "he" for the sake of identifying the Logos as another person. In greek logos is a masculine noun and in greek nouns and pronouns MUST agree in number, case and gender.

In other words had the noun logos been neuter John would have called the Logos an 'it'.
Ok, well you used the pronoun several times so it did seem like it
__________________
Let it be understood that Apostolic Friends Forum is an Apostolic Forum.
Apostolic is defined on AFF as:


  1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Jermyn Davidson's Avatar
Jermyn Davidson Jermyn Davidson is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In His Hands
Posts: 13,911
Re: Personal, Fresh Revelation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
oh, what are you happy about?
I am happy about clearly understanding to how Jesus Christ pre-existed before Bethlehem.

As the Word of God.

He's always existed as the Word of God.
__________________
"The choices we make reveal the true nature of our character."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Scott Hutchinson's Avatar
Scott Hutchinson Scott Hutchinson is offline
Resident PeaceMaker


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jackson,AL.
Posts: 16,548
Re: Personal, Fresh Revelation!

When all things began,the Word already was.The Word dwelt with God,and what God was,the Word was.JOHN.1:1 From The New English bible.
__________________
People who are always looking for fault,can find it easily all they have to do,is look into their mirror.
There they can find plenty of fault.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Praxeas's Avatar
Praxeas Praxeas is offline
Go Dodgers!


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 45,773
Re: Personal, Fresh Revelation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
When all things began,the Word already was.The Word dwelt with God,and what God was,the Word was.JOHN.1:1 From The New English bible.
"dwelt" is a really bad translation. In fact the greek word for 'with' doesn't necessarily mean "with" or "with" to imply 2 objects or persons are standing in the same room with each other.
__________________
Let it be understood that Apostolic Friends Forum is an Apostolic Forum.
Apostolic is defined on AFF as:


  1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 AM
jfrog's Avatar
jfrog jfrog is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8,997
Re: Personal, Fresh Revelation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
"dwelt" is a really bad translation. In fact the greek word for 'with' doesn't necessarily mean "with" or "with" to imply 2 objects or persons are standing in the same room with each other.
What does the Greek Word "with" mean then prax and are there any other new testament examples of the word?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Pastor Jim Cymbala n david Fellowship Hall 3 05-12-2009 02:21 PM
Garden Fresh Vegetables Cindy Fellowship Hall 82 05-29-2008 01:41 PM
New Ten Commandments - Fresh from the Vatican Lost The Newsroom 0 06-19-2007 08:53 AM
The Church has always persecuted Fresh Moves of God Pastor Keith Deep Waters 64 04-15-2007 09:36 AM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Barb

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.