Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Don't ask.

Re: Timmy Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBee View Post
Ya, I thought about blue laws, but didn't see connection with 10 commandments. Could be wrong there. I figure blue laws to be more practical than reverent--they keep folks and clergy from going to church unnecessarily "happy."
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Don't ask.

"The Bible" on History Channel

Watched the first episode and part of the second, last night. Thought it was pretty well done. Got great amusement from it being sponsored by Jim Beam Devil's Cut bourbon!

It would take a much, much longer series to record every detail of the Bible, of course, so the producers had to abbreviate what they dramatized, as well as be selective in what stories they included. No problem there. But I found it interesting what they left out of the stories. They didn't address the hardening of Pharaoh's heart, e.g. They didn't mention that Rahab lied to help the Israelite spies. And they skipped a few steps in Delilah's efforts to find the secret to Samson's strength. Could it be that they intentionally left out some of the more, um, embarrassing details?

Why am I not surprised?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Don't ask.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Don't ask.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Banned

Re: "The Bible" on History Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Got great amusement from it being sponsored by Jim Beam Devil's Cut bourbon!
:rofl
Old 04-05-2013, 05:41 AM
Registered Member

Game: Expand That Miracle

Everyone--ever thought through some of the Genesis (or any) biblical miracles? If X happened, then what else (Y) had to have also happened? Of course, you can claim an even bigger second miracle by claiming that Y didn't have to happen if God wanted to avoid Y for some other reason. Here's example: Noah's Ark. "The animals came marching two by two," right? That's miracle X. But everyone knows Australia is a huge island, at least in Noah's and our era. So, (miracle Y) the kangaroos had to swim an ocean to reach the Middle East. Or maybe God spared kangaroos from having to swim an ocean and just miraculously spirited them throught the air to land (with a big bounce!) in the Middle East. (bigger miracle Y.) Or maybe God avoided that too, and just recreated new kangaroos right on site in front of the ark (bigger miracle Y.) OK, your turn.

Deeply JN Apostolic: 1978-1999.
Happily agnostic/atheist 2011 to present.

Good news! The gospel boils down to, "Love me
or I will destroy you." --A god.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:

Everyone--ever thought through some of the Genesis (or any) biblical miracles? If X happened, then what else (Y) had to have also happened? Of course, you can claim an even bigger second miracle by claiming that Y didn't have to happen if God wanted to avoid Y for some other reason. Here's example: Noah's Ark. "The animals came marching two by two," right? That's miracle X. But everyone knows Australia is a huge island, at least in Noah's and our era. So, (miracle Y) the kangaroos had to swim an ocean to reach the Middle East. Or maybe God spared kangaroos from having to swim an ocean and just miraculously spirited them throught the air to land (with a big bounce!) in the Middle East. (bigger miracle Y.) Or maybe God avoided that too, and just recreated new kangaroos right on site in front of the ark (bigger miracle Y.) OK, your turn.
Or maybe Y was a magical bridge, like this one at 1:38:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsGYh8AacgY

Why am I not surprised?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Or maybe Y was a magical bridge, like this one at 1:38:
Possibly, but unicorns can't talk, at least not the unicorns found in Job, Psalms, Deuteronomy, and Judges. Animal speaking was apparently reserved for serpents and donkeys.

Deeply JN Apostolic: 1978-1999.
Happily agnostic/atheist 2011 to present.

Good news! The gospel boils down to, "Love me
or I will destroy you." --A god.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Possibly, but unicorns can't talk, at least not the unicorns found in Job, Psalms, Deuteronomy, and Judges. Animal speaking was apparently reserved for serpents and donkeys.
I remember another candidate for Y: the continents (according to some young-earthers, I kid you not) were still connected before the flood. And continental drift happened very, very rapidly, during or after the flood (not sure which, or maybe both).

Why am I not surprised?
Old 04-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:

Hmm, most likely God just prompted...'seed' animals? Animals that would evolve into what was needed, into the ark? a donkey could become a kangaroo in a few hundred generations, no prob. 'Atheist?' you don't believe there is a God?