Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-02-2021, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

When God speaks

When God spoke to people in the Bible, sometimes it tells you in details how it happens, sometimes it doesn’t. If we want to know how God speaks, then we should go to those instances that we have details about.

In many occasion, e.g. Samuel, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel, we can see that they have a vision, and in that vision, they see and hear, or they only hear. What they hear is an audible voice. In the Book of Acts, the Lord Jesus appeared in a night vision (dream) to Ananias, and spoke. In those instances, we have the Lord speaking directly. In many other instances, including in the Book of Acts, we see angels coming instead with the message.

God directly speaking in the Scriptures, Old and New Testament, is a big deal. Angels come many times with the message instead of the direct voice of God.

The Spirit also communicate with us in other ways, which are a lot more frequent and common. The Scriptures uses words like “moves”, “leads”, “reveals”, “opens your understanding”, “brings to remembrance”, “produces the desire”, etc… The Spirit guides us to repentance, to have faith, to understand God’s will, and that’s a powerful experience. The Spirit may also come with power over a prophet and inspires him or her to speak.

Biblical speaking, I don’t think I can say that “God told me” when He is simply guiding me with his Spirit. I used to while back because everybody did it, but stopped saying it. I find it a little bit too much to insinuate that the Spirit of God guiding me is equal to the experience the great prophets and some saints in Acts had, where they did hear the voice of God in visions or dreams. I have had audible experiences before but they are extremely rare. If God is guiding me, I just do or say what He is guiding me to do or say (or understand). I do it in faith, knowing that came from God and it will turn out good. I don’t bother saying “God guided me to” or anything like that.

The Spirit of God may guide us and strive with our will, so we follow what it is good. But when you hear the voice of an angel of God, or even the voice of God himself, there is no striving with your own will at that point; you better don’t, you may go mute Zacharias.

Thoughts?

Last edited by coksiw; 08-02-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:15 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Re: When God speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
When God spoke to people in the Bible, sometimes it tells you in details how it happens, sometimes it doesn’t. If we want to know how God speaks, then we should go to those instances that we have details about.

In many occasion, e.g. Samuel, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel, we can see that they have a vision, and in that vision, they see and hear, or they only hear. What they hear is an audible voice. In the Book of Acts, the Lord Jesus appeared in a night vision (dream) to Ananias, and spoke. In those instances, we have the Lord speaking directly. In many other instances, including in the Book of Acts, we see angels coming instead with the message.

God directly speaking in the Scriptures, Old and New Testament, is a big deal. Angels come many times with the message instead of the direct voice of God.

The Spirit also communicate with us in other ways, which are a lot more frequent and common. The Scriptures uses words like “moves”, “leads”, “reveals”, “opens your understanding”, “brings to remembrance”, “produces the desire”, etc… The Spirit guides us to repentance, to have faith, to understand God’s will, and that’s a powerful experience. The Spirit may also come with power over a prophet and inspires him or her to speak.

Biblical speaking, I don’t think I can say that “God told me” when He is simply guiding me with his Spirit. I used to while back because everybody did it, but stopped saying it. I find it a little bit too much to insinuate that the Spirit of God guiding me is equal to the experience the great prophets and some saints in Acts had, where they did hear the voice of God in visions or dreams. I have had audible experiences before but they are extremely rare. If God is guiding me, I just do or say what He is guiding me to do or say (or understand). I do it in faith, knowing that came from God and it will turn out good. I don’t bother saying “God guided me to” or anything like that.

The Spirit of God may guide us and strive with our will, so we follow what it is good. But when you hear the voice of an angel of God, or even the voice of God himself, there is no striving with your own will at that point; you better don’t, you may go mute Zacharias.

Thoughts?

Do you view the Old Testament prophets as greater than New Testament believers?

Jesus doesnt...
Old 08-02-2021, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
Do you view the Old Testament prophets as greater than New Testament believers?

Jesus doesnt...
I said "great prophets and some saints in Acts". My point was not to make the OT prophets greater than anybody. My use of the adjective "great" was a way to honor them, not to compare them with NT believers.

Last edited by coksiw; 08-02-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:22 PM
New User

Thank you! Great OP! Too many people going around saying God talks to them like they were texting buddies.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:56 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
Thank you! Great OP! Too many people going around saying God talks to them like they were texting buddies.
You don't get texts from God?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-02-2021, 02:27 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:

Shhhhhh...its AT&Ts new Deity Communication Plan.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
You don't get texts from God?
Old 08-02-2021, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I think many saints just use the same expressions they have heard before to describe their personal experience with God guiding them. They share it because of the excitement or just to make a point to the audience. It is definitely a little bit presumptuous. Its root may be from the same preachers that blow on people and everybody falls back. Habits.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:54 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

I think that there is nothing wrong with saying that God said something if He said something. Everyones experiences arent the same when it comes to those things...theres a difference in "hearing" and "feeling".
There are times where I struggle to hear from Him and then there are times where it can be frequent...not in a "mail reading" kind of way but just with personal devotion. Many times God confirms through me what He has been saying to my wife...it gets on her nerves especially if shes been resisting obeying Him....sometimes I have no idea what Hes been saying to her I just tell her whats on my heart...sometimes it starts a fight snf then later she apologizes and tells me shes been resisting obeying in some way.

I thank God for how He speaks to us in our marriage. Its helped us so much to grow in Him and get our life straight.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
I think that there is nothing wrong with saying that God said something if He said something. Everyones experiences arent the same when it comes to those things...theres a difference in "hearing" and "feeling".
There are times where I struggle to hear from Him and then there are times where it can be frequent...not in a "mail reading" kind of way but just with personal devotion. Many times God confirms through me what He has been saying to my wife...it gets on her nerves especially if shes been resisting obeying Him....sometimes I have no idea what Hes been saying to her I just tell her whats on my heart...sometimes it starts a fight snf then later she apologizes and tells me shes been resisting obeying in some way.

I thank God for how He speaks to us in our marriage. Its helped us so much to grow in Him and get our life straight.
Amen! Brother everything you said is what the Scriptures refers to as the Spirit revealing, leading, guiding, etc... or also the operation of some of the gifts of the Spirit.