Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-01-2022, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

Re: Seeking Andrew Urshan information

Urshan said his understanding of Oneness theology came from God, not something someone shared with him.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Urshan said his understanding of Oneness theology came from God, not something someone shared with him.
Okay. I’ve found a biography of Benjamin Urshan “as told to Georgia Smelser”.
The author is recorded as Urshan/Smelser. The name: Survivor- the life story of Benjamin Urshan. Georgia Smelser also authored the biography of Andrew Urshan, which as of now I can’t locate.

Anyway, in this biography of Benjamin Urshan (youngest brother to Andrew) he recalls that Andrew was baptized in Jesus’ name in Russia in 1915. Benjamin witnessed the baptism. He says, evidently in reference to the baptism that Andrew “received a deeper revelation of this biblical truth”.

Also, this scene is depicted in Andrew’s biography by the same author. If I recall correctly, it was after Andrew returned to the U.S. from Russia that he was confronted with the “new issue“ of oneness, which, if true would mean it was later than 1915.

There’s always the possibility that my memory is not accurate. I will continue to look for Andrew’s biography to corroborate or correct my memory.

No guarantees.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

The following comments are from a sermon Urshan preached in 1963 at a General Convention of the UPC.

1906 Holy Spirit fell on Urshan in Chicago. Holiness church pastor was Conner, or something like that.

1908 Urshan filled with Holy Spirit.

1910 I began to see in the book of Acts in repetition of father, son, holy ghost. God revealed to him one god.

I was trying to show it to Haywood and Ewart and Durham and Brother Yerr. But they could not see it.

1914 Ewart caught it. Haywood caught it. Urshan was in Persia at the time.

3000 in Los Angeles he preached to. Oppermann heard about Urshan and invited him to Hot Springs. They had a wonderful time.

He then visited Frank Small.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

QUOTE=Tithesmeister;1609992]The reason I asked (Originalist) if you had read his biography is that I have. I’m almost certain that Brother Andrew Urshan mentioned the “New Issue” (oneness versus trinity) in the book. (Or is quoted as mentioning it). I got the impression that he was exposed to it from others.

I also remember him baptizing in Jesus name as though that were a new doctrine to him. Maybe I’m conflating the two issues. I need to read the book again, if I can find it[/QUOTE]

Update: I was conflating the oneness versus trinity issue with Jesus name baptism. The “New Issue” was Jesus name baptism. Andrew Urshan was baptized in Jesus name in Russia in 1915, according to the biography of his brother, Jonathan.