Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 02-20-2009, 02:20 PM
revrandy's Avatar
revrandy revrandy is offline
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockton, California
Posts: 5,376
Re: Jail house Christianity and Jesus Name People

Doctrine includes Salvation...

One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism...who could argue against the Word of God?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 PM
SDG SDG is offline
Guest


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: H-Town, Texas
Posts: 18,009
Re: Jail house Christianity and Jesus Name People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Yes I do think a properly adminstered baptism could absolutely make a difference.

If did not matter how a baptism was adminstered then why would have Paul
rebaptized the believers in Acts. 19

Daniel you are injecting things into this conversation that are not entirely true. I am sure what Margie is saying is true, but we have men out of prison are some are still struggling. -Lets be true to the word of God, not necessarily my experience in baptism as you put.

But you can not take my experience away from me Daniel. I have been clean and sober for 25 yrs! I been to other churches had other baptisms-but nothing like Acts 2:38. Sorry I am going to tell my testimony over and over again! Guess what, we will baptize someone again on Sunday-in a way that you do not seem to agree with anymore, Daniel.


Ok, what is confusing me as an admin and a poster is why are we having to defend Jesus Name baptism on this forum? This should be a given.

As far as 'slapping' other prisoners in face as you put it--you are looking at the wrong way entirely. Baptism in Jesus name does not take away from what a person already has but adds to it.
Liz they were rebaptized because they had been baptized unto John ....
in Acts 19 ...
They were subsequently baptized INTO THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST ... into the person of Christ....

This is in stark contrast to you and a trinitarian, today ... both placing faith in Christ for their salvation.

A person baptized in ceremony naming the titles is placing faith in Jesus Christ in the same manner as you did ... NO DIFFERENCE.

I take nothing away from your experience but I think it is you that are taking away from those who have a "properly administered baptism" which you cannot validate makes a difference or adds .... in the person's Sprit-led walk... either anectdotally or scripturally. Other than those you've been in contact with while there are others who have similar success stories without your type experience.

You don't need to defend Jesus name baptism, Liz. I believe it ... and practice it. My church does too.

But don't confuse your one revelation with the salvation only Christ affords ... nor your personal experience as normative for others.

Normative initiation ... I'll accept ... normative "replicative" experiences ... with superior type baptisms adding to a birth in and by His Spirit ... nope.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-20-2009, 02:25 PM
revrandy's Avatar
revrandy revrandy is offline
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockton, California
Posts: 5,376
Re: Jail house Christianity and Jesus Name People

Somebody's been reading the Gospel of Inclusion...
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-20-2009, 02:28 PM
SDG SDG is offline
Guest


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: H-Town, Texas
Posts: 18,009
Re: Jail house Christianity and Jesus Name People

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Somebody's been reading the Gospel of Inclusion...
Somebody doesn't know that words mean things ... but this coming from a thread hi-jacker who posts on a forum who thinks Emergent Church is the same as PCI doctrine ... or that relevant theology is the same as relative theology ..

You spit out terms like Charismatic and the Gospel of Inclusion because your friends spew them... neither having implications here.

Invest in a dictionary, Randy.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Pastor Keith's Avatar
Pastor Keith Pastor Keith is offline
Follower of Jesus


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,275
Re: Jail house Christianity and Jesus Name People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Liz they were rebaptized because they had been baptized unto John ....
in Acts 19 ...
They were subsequently baptized INTO THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST ... into the person of Christ....

This is in stark contrast to you and a trinitarian, today ... both placing faith in Christ for their salvation.

A person baptized in ceremony naming the titles is placing faith in Jesus Christ in the same manner as you did ... NO DIFFERENCE.

I take nothing away from your experience but I think it is you that are taking away from those who have a "properly administered baptism" which you cannot validate makes a difference or adds .... in the person's Sprit-led walk... either anectdotally or scripturally. Other than those you've been in contact with while there are others who have similar success stories without your type experience.

You don't need to defend Jesus name baptism, Liz. I believe it ... and practice it. My church does too.

But don't confuse your one revelation with the salvation only Christ affords ... nor your personal experience as normative for others.

Normative initiation ... I'll accept ... normative "replicative" experiences ... with superior type baptisms adding to a birth in His Spirit ... nope.
I could be wrong, but I find it a rare thing for someone to be calling on the name of Jesus while going down in the titles, of course the same could be said for those be baptized in Jesus name, my hope is that this changes to where the baptizee is instructed to call on the name of Jesus before baptism.

Hard to do while going under, but maybe with technology that can happen sometime soon.
__________________
Please pray for India

My personal mission is to BRING people into a right relationship with God, GROW them up to maturity and SEND them back into the world to minister.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Pastor Keith's Avatar
Pastor Keith Pastor Keith is offline
Follower of Jesus


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,275
Re: Jail house Christianity and Jesus Name People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Somebody doesn't know that words mean things ... but this coming from a thread hi-jacker who posts on a forum who thinks Emergent Church is the same as PCI doctrine ... or that relevant theology is the same as relative theology ..

You spit out terms like Charismatic and the Gospel of Inclusion because your friends spew them... neither having implications here.

Invest in a dictionary, Randy.
Folks, be civil!
__________________
Please pray for India

My personal mission is to BRING people into a right relationship with God, GROW them up to maturity and SEND them back into the world to minister.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-20-2009, 02:33 PM
revrandy's Avatar
revrandy revrandy is offline
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockton, California
Posts: 5,376
Re: Jail house Christianity and Jesus Name People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Somebody doesn't know that words mean things ... but this coming from a thread hi-jacker who posts on a forum who thinks Emergent Church is the same as PCI doctrine ... or that relevant theology is the same as relative theology ..

You spit out terms like Charismatic and the Gospel of Inclusion because your friends spew them... neither having implications here.

Invest in a dictionary, Randy.
It is nice to know that you can interpret what folks believe...then you criticize them and then say you and your church believes the same...

interpretation...It doesn't take a dictionary to see somebody has some serious issues...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Elizabeth's Avatar
Elizabeth Elizabeth is offline
Incredible India


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ca
Posts: 6,044
Re: Jail house Christianity and Jesus Name People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Liz they were rebaptized because they had been baptized unto John ....
in Acts 19 ...
They were subsequently baptized INTO THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST ... into the person of Christ....

This is in stark contrast to you and a trinitarian, today ... both placing faith in Christ for their salvation.

A person baptized in ceremony naming the titles is placing faith in Jesus Christ in the same manner as you did ... NO DIFFERENCE.

I take nothing away from your experience but I think it is you that are taking away from those who have a "properly administered baptism" which you cannot validate makes a difference or adds .... in the person's Spirit-led walk... either anectdotally or scripturally. Other than those you've been in contact with while there are others who have similar success stories without your type experience.

You don't need to defend Jesus name baptism, Liz. I believe it ... and practice it. My church does too.

But don't confuse your one revelation with the salvation only Christ affords ... nor your personal experience as normative for others.

Normative initiation ... I'll accept ... normative "replicative" experiences ... with superior type baptisms adding to a birth in His Spirit ... nope.
Daniel I really hope that you know what you are talking about. We do not have the right to change anything that has been given us by example in scriptures.

I actually see where you are coming from, but I do not think you know exactly where I am coming from.

I am struggling teaching the Celebrate Recovery stuff, it does NOT mention Baptism with it's salvation study at all-then it goes to suggest that repeating a prayer and teaches one is saved forever--this is not the normative biblical experience.

Now I am more inclined in someone believing that they have called on the name of the Lord in Baptism --that is for them to decide.

But to suggest less than, and seeing people struggle with sin- God does have something more for them.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-20-2009, 02:36 PM
revrandy's Avatar
revrandy revrandy is offline
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockton, California
Posts: 5,376
Re: Jail house Christianity and Jesus Name People

You can't discount a Person's Salvation by not preaching the Whole Gospel...

Whether we agree or disagree on standards the Gospel is what the Gospel is...

The Death, Burial and the Resurrection...

Repents... Baptism...and the Infilling of the Holy Ghost...
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-20-2009, 02:37 PM
revrandy's Avatar
revrandy revrandy is offline
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockton, California
Posts: 5,376
Re: Jail house Christianity and Jesus Name People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Daniel I really hope that you know what you are talking about. We do not have the right to change anything that has been given us by example in scriptures.

I actually see where you are coming from, but I do not think you know exactly where I am coming from.

I am struggling teaching the Celebrate Recovery stuff, it does NOT mention Baptism with it's salvation study at all-then it goes to suggest that repeating a prayer and teaches one is saved forever--this is not the normative biblical experience.

Now I am more inclined in someone believing that they have called on the name of the Lord themselves in Baptism --that is for them to decide.

But to suggest less than, and seeing people struggle with sin- God does have something more for them.
I take it you can only use the Book they give you?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama going to jail? All4one Political Talk 15 10-11-2008 08:34 AM
Son In Law Going To Jail Cindy Fellowship Hall 8 04-12-2008 03:28 PM
This Deputy needs to be in jail Praxeas The Newsroom 2 02-13-2008 05:32 AM
911 Pranks Land Man In Jail jwharv The Newsroom 12 07-29-2007 10:34 PM
Jail for Paris Hilton!!! Praxeas The Newsroom 11 05-20-2007 02:56 PM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Jito463

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.