Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-25-2021, 04:03 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Why is the church so polictical?

We all have our political leanings. We all have our minds fixed on what we feel is right for the country, but why are churches so into politics? I don't get it. It has to go beyond marriage equality and women's rights, doesn't it?
Old 01-25-2021, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Re: Why is the church so polictical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shephard View Post
We all have our political leanings. We all have our minds fixed on what we feel is right for the country, but why are churches so into politics? I don't get it. It has to go beyond marriage equality and women's rights, doesn't it?
Politics and religion have always mixed, from early civilization.

However, I have never seen the Apostolic church so politically crazy as they were this election. It's as though Trump was the chosen and anointed one and nothing could persuade them from that belief. Fortunately things have began to die down now that the Inauguration happened and all those profits were proven to be wrong. (Though don't tell them that they're wrong. They're still adamant that Trump will be POTUS very soon.)

I don't like the mixing of Israeli nationalism with church though. Israel is a country, that is all.

I don't mind honoring saints who have served but I'm not fond of Memorial Day or Fourth of July as it becomes more about 'Murica and less about Jesus, what with all the flags and media clips and messages using military themes, etc. Even Christmas has become a bit much. So many churches now pack the platform with a grove of Christmas trees and other decorations.

Just call me a boomer. I don't like all the fog and club/concert lighting, either.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:49 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shephard View Post
Politics = "How should we live?"

Church = "God says we should live thus."

Politics is the application of religion to human society. There is no "neutrality" possible. Societies are always governed by some religious viewpoint or another, either your own, or someone else's.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Old 01-26-2021, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Politics = "How should we live?"

Church = "God says we should live thus."

Politics is the application of religion to human society. There is no "neutrality" possible. Societies are always governed by some religious viewpoint or another, either your own, or someone else's.
Jordan Peterson illustrates this so perfectly when he talks about hierarchies.

As soon as he mentions that they are inherent in our being, protesters get the vapors and start trying to cancel him. Even though they lose their ever-loving, post modern minds, they inevitably form groups to disrupt his talks.

Problem is the groups are organized. Which require hierarchical frameworks. As soon as Peterson points out they have a pecking order, they come one degree from needing to be cast into swine.

The “occupy” movement was even more stark. Their anti-capitalism camps transmogrified into booths, rooms and groups—either by association, affiliation, or skill-set. Before you knew it—coffee shops and internet cafes were operating.

Burning Man has completely become what it supposedly hates.

And on and on.

Does that mean the church should have been waving the Trump flag?

I’ll leave that to others.

Last edited by Ronnie G; 01-26-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Churches should be politically neutral. Otherwise, outsiders will decided whether to visit based on partisan politics.

Be not conformed to this world.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

When one side is literally putting policies to hurt the church you better vote against them. How do you do that by voting for the other party that has a chance of wining. I don’t think the house of God s a place to hang up a trump flag but I think preacher need to get up and name sin and people that promote sin like Joe Biden.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Churches should be politically neutral. Otherwise, outsiders will decided whether to visit based on partisan politics.

Be not conformed to this world.
LOL.
This is funny.
Democrats have been using churches for years.
The "churches should be politically neutral" crowd only came along when churches started espousing Conservative Christian beliefs (which nowadays usually align with the Republicans).
Old 01-27-2021, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

I've personally realized that churches seem to be more politically minded than they once were.

I try to stay as neutral as possible. I am an conservative, but I try to stir clear of posting such rubbish all over social media. And by rubbish, I mean stuff bashing liberals and painting an entirely negative picture of them. For one, I don't know how true the information is, and I always don't want to blur my witness as a finger-pointer when it comes to politics.

Some Christians I've came across these past few months were beyond worried that Joe Biden had won the presidency. I didn't vote for Joe Biden, nor did I want him to win. However, I do know that since he "received" the office, then it had to be ordained by God. The Lord wouldn't have allowed it if it weren't in His plan. Considering Joe Biden is now President Biden it is my Biblical commandment to pray for him as he leads our country. God doesn't suggest we pray for them, he instructs us to.

Even so, we don't need to be totally engrafted into politics. We do need to be aware of what is going on so we know how to pray, but it doesn't need to consume us. There's more to this life than who is in the White House. Jesus is still on the throne and we've got souls to win before He comes back for His bride that has made herself ready.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Flame View Post
I've personally realized that churches seem to be more politically minded than they once were.

I try to stay as neutral as possible. I am an conservative, but I try to stir clear of posting such rubbish all over social media. And by rubbish, I mean stuff bashing liberals and painting an entirely negative picture of them. For one, I don't know how true the information is, and I always don't want to blur my witness as a finger-pointer when it comes to politics.

Some Christians I've came across these past few months were beyond worried that Joe Biden had won the presidency. I didn't vote for Joe Biden, nor did I want him to win. However, I do know that since he "received" the office, then it had to be ordained by God. The Lord wouldn't have allowed it if it weren't in His plan. Considering Joe Biden is now President Biden it is my Biblical commandment to pray for him as he leads our country. God doesn't suggest we pray for them, he instructs us to.

Even so, we don't need to be totally engrafted into politics. We do need to be aware of what is going on so we know how to pray, but it doesn't need to consume us. There's more to this life than who is in the White House. Jesus is still on the throne and we've got souls to win before He comes back for His bride that has made herself ready.
I am considering the emboldened part in your post. I don't think that way anymore. I don't think Go necessarily chooses our leaders every time. I do believe God ordained our Constitution, but I think he expects us to preserve it through sound policy and choices. Sometimes we make lousy choices in who we elect. Sometimes there is fraud, and God chooses not to intervene.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
LOL.
This is funny.
Democrats have been using churches for years.
The "churches should be politically neutral" crowd only came along when churches started espousing Conservative Christian beliefs (which nowadays usually align with the Republicans).

Exactly. This stance will be our death. I have not run the numbers, but I am sure there are enough Evangelicals (including Pentecostals) and conservative Catholics to completely dominate politics if we chose to. I am further convinced that one of the main factors in Evangelicals not tapping into this power is Dispensational Escatology.