Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Dichotomy Girl's Avatar
Dichotomy Girl Dichotomy Girl is offline
You used to call me Michlow


 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 281
What did Jesus Come to Save us From?

This question has been on my mind this morning. So many Christians seem to focus on the Heaven/Hell, which seemingly implies that that was the sole mission of Jesus, to decide the location of our afterlife.

Do you believe that's what God intended? That used to be my focus back in my former days, I viewed everything through the lens of "Will this send me to hell? Will this help get me to heaven?" And all that led to was a relationship built on fear.

I can't help but think that's not supposed to be what it's about. I keep think of when Jesus quoted Isaiah (Luke 4),

" The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor."

Now granted, I tend to lean towards Universal Reconciliation (or at the least I believe that there will be a judgement and correction, but the purpose will be rehabilitation, and the punishment won't be eternal) so I tend to not focus too strongly on the heaven/hell - plan of salvation - make sure you did all the proper steps - parts of religion. Still I thought it would make an interesting discussion.

Why do you think Jesus came? Was it to save us? Save us from what?
__________________
“There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting.”

― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Timmy's Avatar
Timmy Timmy is offline
Don't ask.


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 24,212
Re: What did Jesus Come to Save us From?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy Girl View Post
. . .
Why do you think Jesus came? . . .
To cause family trouble, so he said.

Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
__________________
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?

Last edited by Timmy; 06-10-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Timmy's Avatar
Timmy Timmy is offline
Don't ask.


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 24,212
Re: What did Jesus Come to Save us From?

Which is one undeniably true prediction, by the way.
__________________
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 AM
JamDat JamDat is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 559
Re: What did Jesus Come to Save us From?

He came to save us from the wrath of God that we justly deserve because of our crimes against Him.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Dichotomy Girl's Avatar
Dichotomy Girl Dichotomy Girl is offline
You used to call me Michlow


 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 281
Re: What did Jesus Come to Save us From?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamDat View Post
He came to save us from the wrath of God that we justly deserve because of our crimes against Him.
I miss SheltieDad (Brad) at times like these because he was always so good at pointing out the fallacy of this argument.

How is being born on this earth, in a human body, and being subject to it's laws and limitations a crime? And why should we be tortured for all humanity for something we can't control?
__________________
“There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting.”

― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Dedicated Mind Dedicated Mind is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,711
Re: What did Jesus Come to Save us From?

well in the ot, god came to liberate israel from egyptian slavery and to establish a society of justice and holiness. they did not have power over sin. with the sacrifice of christ and the outpouring of the spirit, we have the means to overcome sin and establish the community of justice and holiness envisioned in the ot, this time with the law of christ and the power of the spirit. eternal life is just a byproduct of belonging to and practicing the principles of this spiritual kingdom in human society. read up on liberation theology for this perspective.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Nitehawk013 Nitehawk013 is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,149
Re: What did Jesus Come to Save us From?

Tooth decay. And sometimes yellowing of the toenails.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 PM
n david n david is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 17,754
Re: What did Jesus Come to Save us From?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy Girl View Post
I miss SheltieDad (Brad) at times like these because he was always so good at pointing out the fallacy of this argument.

How is being born on this earth, in a human body, and being subject to it's laws and limitations a crime? And why should we be tortured for all humanity for something we can't control?
In order to understand this, you would have to believe the Bible is the Word of God. IIRC, in a previous post you say the Bible is a collection of writings and not the Word of God. Because of that, you can't understand what was stated above.

The Bible says all have sinned; we were born in iniquity, conceived in sin. The reason Jesus came was to fulfill OT prophecy and to be the once and for all payment for sin. Without his death, burial and resurrection, we would be without hope of eternal life.

Contrary to your universal reconciliation belief, the Bible clearly states the wages of sin is death (which is permanent); it does not say the wages of sin is a stint in rehab or some temporary judgement.

There is a literal Heaven. There is a literal Hell. People can make up beliefs and doctrines to make themselves feel better, but it doesn't change the truth.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Timmy's Avatar
Timmy Timmy is offline
Don't ask.


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 24,212
Re: What did Jesus Come to Save us From?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
In order to understand this, you would have to believe the Bible is the Word of God. IIRC, in a previous post you say the Bible is a collection of writings and not the Word of God. Because of that, you can't understand what was stated above.
I think you mean "In order to believe this, you would have to believe the Bible is the Word of God. . . . Because of that, you don't believe what was stated above."

You're welcome.
__________________
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Timmy's Avatar
Timmy Timmy is offline
Don't ask.


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 24,212
Re: What did Jesus Come to Save us From?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy Girl View Post
I miss SheltieDad (Brad) at times like these because he was always so good at pointing out the fallacy of this argument.

How is being born on this earth, in a human body, and being subject to it's laws and limitations a crime? And why should we be tortured for all humanity for something we can't control?
I'm pretty good at it, too. Just tired of it.
__________________
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Save Money ILG Fellowship Hall 893 04-16-2014 08:06 AM
Does Acts 2:38 save us? Charnock Fellowship Hall 24 07-14-2012 10:17 PM
Does Jesus Save us From God? Chateau d'If Fellowship Hall 0 05-16-2011 10:21 AM
How To Save The World deacon blues Fellowship Hall 0 08-18-2007 05:12 PM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by MawMaw
- by Salome

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.