Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
children, education, kids, parents, school

Old 03-29-2017, 10:54 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Re: Public school and the Christian parent

my kids go to public schools.

My kids teachers know my wifes name, and mine. they SEE us often. we are there, we volunteer. they know us as Christians that are highly involved parents.

Our kids don't go to church to get their understanding of religion, God, or the bible. We do that at HOME. Our kids go to church to serve and to see how serving others is their benefit. We are involved at church on every level possible. we are engaged in our community in every way we can while keeping God as the center, and church/Christian service the focus.

Our kids don't just hear about God at church. We pray as a family, we discuss God and the bible constantly at home. We insure that all things, from the things they learn at school, to the lives lived by their friends that do not know God...yet... are placed within the context of our Christ centered understanding. We measure all things by the word of God.

I have no idea if our efforts will lead to the kind of God loving MEN we pray our sons will turn out to be. BUT my wife and I will do all we can to see that happen.

I can look across the way at a friend I grew up with. He went to Christian schools all the way thru secondary education. I went to public schools. I live every day for God, he hates God.

where one educates their child has very little to do with anything. How one raises their child is what matters.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
my kids go to public schools.

My kids teachers know my wifes name, and mine. they SEE us often. we are there, we volunteer. they know us as Christians that are highly involved parents.

Our kids don't go to church to get their understanding of religion, God, or the bible. We do that at HOME. Our kids go to church to serve and to see how serving others is their benefit. We are involved at church on every level possible. we are engaged in our community in every way we can while keeping God as the center, and church/Christian service the focus.

Our kids don't just hear about God at church. We pray as a family, we discuss God and the bible constantly at home. We insure that all things, from the things they learn at school, to the lives lived by their friends that do not know God...yet... are placed within the context of our Christ centered understanding. We measure all things by the word of God.

I have no idea if our efforts will lead to the kind of God loving MEN we pray our sons will turn out to be. BUT my wife and I will do all we can to see that happen.

I can look across the way at a friend I grew up with. He went to Christian schools all the way thru secondary education. I went to public schools. I live every day for God, he hates God.

where one educates their child has very little to do with anything. How one raises their child is what matters.
you both sound like amazing parents
Old 03-29-2017, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
No, I'm saying that some are downright lazy deadbeat parents. It's just the truth, bro. lol
It's not just this thread. Your contempt for fellow believers is almost sinful. You blast them and call them fat, donut eating, whiny and trailer living in this thread. In another thread, you called for liberals to protest and attack conservative churches. You even posted how you could understand if some liberal maniac committed a mass shooting in church.

I thought liberals were supposed to be "tolerant?" Obviously you meant tolerant of only those who believe as you do.

Good grief.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
A lot of crybabying coming so many Christians about the state of the schools is coming from Christians who don't have the spiritual discipline to keep family prayer or family altar in their homes. Their condemnation and whining about the godless public school system only helps them feel better about themselves. I'm just confronting this line of thought. One has no grounds to whine and complain about the lack of spirituality in a public educational system... if they are too busy or lazy to establish a solid spiritual practice in their own homes.
How are your kids? I'm sure they must be model citizens, since not only do they attend public schools, but you no doubt practice the spiritual discipline you preach on here.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
where one educates their child has very little to do with anything.
I agree somewhat with this, though I do believe it is much harder when kids are put in public schools. I went to a church school. We had chapel every Wednesday afternoon and Bible class every Tuesday and Thursday. I was a sinful, rotten jerk who nearly backslid after graduating. I have several friends who attended church but went to public school and they never rebelled as I did. They're in church and serving God today. But they've told me it was hard with the peer pressure and humanistic stuff they were being taught.

I agree 100% with your statement, "How one raises their child is what matters." If we as parents do not pray, read the bible, fellowship together with believers and live the word at home, it won't matter what school they attend.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:07 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Good grief.

If you don't have the money to send your kids to a private school, and you can't homeschool, then have some guts and be an involved parent in the public schools. Too many Christian parents are total airbags. Nothing but wimps. They send their kids to school and do nothing but complain about the system.

Get involved. I did. The teachers know me by name. Therefore, they know my children by name. They see me help with field trips and special events. They see me tell the kids what is appropriate behavior and what isn't. I set the tone for the education of my children. And yes, it is a public school.

And here's another thing.... I know Christian parents who whine and complain about public schools not being religious enough. Look, kids are allowed to pray in school. But it must be appropriate. They can't just start praying and getting preachy in biology or English Literature. As Christians, they have to learn to RESPECT the rules and to RESPECT authority. Kids can voluntarily gather together and pray before school, over their lunches, and even after school. What public schools DON'T allow is for staff or teachers to lead, encourage, or appear to require or expect that students participate in any religious practice. And if you've seen the staff and teachers in some of these schools, you'll agree with me.... most are unqualified to lead students in any kind of prayer or religious activity.

I see fat, doughnut eating, whiney, and pathetic trailer-living "Christians" (I doubt they truly are) sit there and complain that the public schools are not religious enough. BUT... they don't ever have family altar. They don't lead their kids in prayer or Bible study at home. They barely ever say grace over their double fried chicken and their double portioned mashed potatoes. They pawn their kids off on the church to learn about God and pawn their kids off on the schools for an education. They just want daycare.

THEY AREN'T INVOLVED AT ALL. They aren't INVOLVED in their kids spiritual development or education.

I know, I know, there's a lot of hubbub about getting prayer back in school. I know, I know, there's a lot of hubbub about being able to put the Ten Commandments in courthouses and public schools. But I have a crazy idea here... now watch this....here it comes....wait for it.... wait for it....

Let's get prayer and obedience to God back in our HOMES.

If we had prayer and godliness in more homes, we wouldn't need such shallow demonstrations of civic religion. I'm confident that you can put my kids in a home school, private school, charter school, or public school.... and they'll know what behaving righteously is and that it is expected of them.

You have to be involved. The centrality of the Christian faith is in the home... not a church building, courthouse, or public school. If we can get our homes right... we can positively affect this culture.

Let me ask these questions:

When was the last time your family had family altar?
When was the last time you led your family in prayer?
When was the last time you had communion at home?
Do you have the Ten Commandments displayed in your home?
Do you teach the Ten Commandments in your home?
Do you emphasize that Love moves beyond the Commandments?
Who are you talking to?

Did you even read the thread?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
No. Just no. Sorry, I don't agree.

Do you have children?
Obviously you did not read what was posted. I find it morbidly fascinating how so many people reject an argument, without actually reading the argument. I find this a very common phenomenon, across all walks of life and every subject area.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 03-29-2017, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Obviously you did not read what was posted. I find it morbidly fascinating how so many people reject an argument, without actually reading the argument. I find this a very common phenomenon, across all walks of life and every subject area.
I read the argument, though I missed the mention of home schooling your children.

I simply don't agree with your argument, sorry.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
I read the argument, though I missed the mention of home schooling your children.

I simply don't agree with your argument, sorry.
Where is the argument faulty?

Old 03-29-2017, 02:37 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
I see fat, doughnut eating, whiney, and pathetic trailer-living "Christians" (I doubt they truly are) sit there and complain that the public schools are not religious enough.
You could have just left it at "so-called Christians", but you just had to dig the knife in and throw around insults. Why? What purpose did that serve? Is it Christ-like to insult people in this manner?
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.