Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-18-2013, 01:00 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Re: HELP!!!: Death and Children

Bro, not sure if you could get her to agree, but maybe some arbitration with a grief councilor could get her to see the light?

dont know if she would agree to that at all but might be worth the try.

and file this one for future reference. try to figure out ways to get her to "have the idea" you want her to! LOL!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:54 PM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Bro, not sure if you could get her to agree, but maybe some arbitration with a grief councilor could get her to see the light?

dont know if she would agree to that at all but might be worth the try.

and file this one for future reference. try to figure out ways to get her to "have the idea" you want her to! LOL!
Good advice.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Banned

Personally, if there were any way possible I'd have him see his great-great grandmother. I realize the situation is complicated but his relationship with her seems to lend itself to his seeing her for a final time.

I also think his great-great grandmother would want him to make a last visit to see her if her wishes could be known. As a grandparent, relationships with grandchildren are on another level than with one's children. It's a very very special thing to have the relationship that you're describing and for both of them a final visit would be continuing their relationship to the end.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Okay .... I realize that it is VERY complicated due to the ex and her opinion; however, I think she is making a deal of this simply because it goes against what YOU want to do. Since opinion are like armpits and everyone has one ... (and yes, some of them stink) here is mine....

For pity's sake --- YOU are the boy's Dad. It appears that you play an important role in your son's life and are not an absentee father. YOU have rights and responsibilities regarding how your son deals with the death of his great-grandmother.

What example of fatherhood and leadership are you setting for your son if you bow down to every whim and desire regarding your son that happens to be different than what your ex-wife expresses. Especially IF you think that she is simply being difficult.

As a child I was deprived of attending a funeral for a loved one because my parents wanted to shield me from death. To this day, I wish that my parents had handled it differently.

As a parent, due to an unexpected heart attack, my young son was unable to say "goodbye" to his grandpa. He mentioned it often while growing up ... that he wished he had had the opportunity to say good-bye. I realize there is some difference because there was no opportunity. However, I wonder how it will affect your relationship with your son if you don't take him ....

1) YOU deprived him of the opportunity. Regardless of the fact that he will be told his mother was the one that didn't want it ... he will remember YOU are the one that didn't take him.

2) He will also remember that YOU didn't stand up to his mom about something that YOU felt was important for HIM.

Personally, I think that if at all possible find someone whom your wife respects that can act as a mediator and help her understand the importance of this to YOUR SON. It isn't a game of tug-of-war when it deals with a child's emotions. I pray she is first of all a MOTHER that will come to understand that and NOT an "ex" that simply wants to disagree with her child's dad.

RE: the girlfriend's daughter. Absolutely DO NOT take her if you can't take your son!!!!! Regardless of how it affects your relationship with the girlfriend --- she isn't your wife yet and right now, your relationship with your son is more important. If your girlfriend can't understand that ... then in my opinion, SHE has some growing up to do and may not be ready for the combining of two families.
Now.... I'm outta here.........

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
Old 11-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Banned

You know... as things have evolved today... I'm convinced that women in general are just flat out insane.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
You know... as things have evolved today... I'm convinced that women in general are just flat out insane.
Women are.....different....no doubt about that.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Temporary Occupant of Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerman View Post
Women are.....different....no doubt about that.
Thank the Lord!

Do Not Argue With Idiots, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Would your ex let you take your son to say good-bye if she also came along? I know that would be awkward, but maybe it'd be what it would take for her to feel like she was protecting him and there for him.