Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

24% of UPC missions money goes to overhead?

I was told that upci charges 24% of all missions offerings for over head. Does this mean that if upci collects 4 million per yr in mission offering , Hazalwood,MO head quarters keeps 1 million to cover answering the phone.
I understand there is overhead, but how can any organization defend 24% for over head.
Can anyone explain to me how keeping 25% of mission funds helps missions?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Registered Member

Re: 24% of UPC missions money goes to overhead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by areyourucky View Post
I was told that upci charges 24% of all missions offerings for over head. Does this mean that if upci collects 4 million per yr in mission offering , Hazalwood,MO head quarters keeps 1 million to cover answering the phone.
I understand there is overhead, but how can any organization defend 24% for over head.
greed.

why dont they practice what they preach and take 10% .......
Old 08-09-2011, 06:18 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

I "heard" it was 10%. I am sure it depends on what is thrown into the overhead bin... It's not just answering phones.

There are many non-profits that are over 50% administrative.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 08-09-2011, 06:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
That has always been the concern of simple church advocates when looking at large organizations or denominations. The simple church model has absolutely no overhead.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Sister Alvear

I really don't know how much overhead they have or what % they keep...since we are independent up to this point we receive all that is sent to us through our home address.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Of course there is overhead. Pay a CPA firm 150 dollars an hour for a person that makes 50 dollars an hour.

My family just had a recent problem regarding currency exchange for missionaries. If you run a business, the overhead costs are an eye opener. Some people say "just answer the phone"
Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Sister Alvear

you know even though I am Not UPCI one thing I would imagine there are lots of expenses involved keeping books for so many missionaries and having full time help so I would say it is right and normal to have overhead expenses...however what must be examined is DO they really need to keep that much? I do not know beans about how the UPCI program works so I may be a million miles off...but the missionaries I know and have known in times past were well taken care of.

There is a lot of homework that the missionary must do also...and there must be dedication and honestly between the missionary and whoever keeps the books and the program running.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

140 Countries. 200+ missionaries, AIMers, and more. 24% is not bad.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Sister Alvear

wow...140 countries...200 + missionaries, AIMers...all I can say is God bless all those that keep missionaries on the field. Thanks to all that help the UPCI, WPF< ALJC and whatever and whoever....Your reward will be great...Thanks to all that help us in missions also.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Stranger in a Strange Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
I "heard" it was 10%. I am sure it depends on what is thrown into the overhead bin... It's not just answering phones.

There are many non-profits that are over 50% administrative.
Hoovie,
It went to 15% in the mid-eighties. I was so upset over it (I was assisting in a home missions church) that over the principle I stopped supporting PIM missions and just gave to the church general fund.

Some background. Attending same HM church was BIL and sister of well known head of FM department. They had recently returned from visiting BIL in Hazelwood and BIL was commenting on the FM head's "beautiful home" and nice car (a Lincoln). About the same time was the uptick in percentage to the Home Office.

I was furious that the FM Head was high rolling on the backs of his PIMs, and said as much to the aforementioned. It wasn't but a couple of weeks later that my pastor called my wife and I into a S.S. room after church and lambasted us, warning us that he would not tolerate anyone "coming here and splitting my church". It was pretty toxic.
As his outreach director and adult Sunday school teacher (and sometime worship leader) I gave him my Search For Truth contacts and made that Sunday the last Sunday I attended a UPC church as a licensed minister in the UPC.
I understand that there needs to be cash flow to keep these offices open, but there is no reason for any church official whether in an organizational headquarters or a pastor overseeing a congregation to live off the sweat of those laboring in the fields. It almost creates a caste system; the Leadership vs the Workers. ???

Anybody got anything to add?

Last edited by Sabby; 08-09-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: addition