Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Nursery > The Cry Room
Facebook

Notices

The Cry Room Where disruptive users are sent for a TIME OUT!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Banned

Re: God does not accept sin

Thank you for the answer.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertcarring
Thank you for the answer.
Betcarring,

May I ask what "denomination" are you?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Betcarring,

May I ask what "denomination" are you?
I am not anything of this world.

I am not of this world.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Denomination? I'm not of a denomination. I'm a disciple of Jesus. I was a member of the UPCI for 21 years. I now fellowship any believer who is seeking more of Jesus. I will gather with one of three congregational gatherings. Two are Apostolic and one is Southern Baptist. However, I regularly attend a small network of house churches. We have no vision for buildings, salaries, paid staff, or denominational affiliation. We are elder led and focus on house churching, street preaching, and missional service with three charities: the Dayton Food Bank, Target Dayton Ministries, and the Dayton Gospel Mission.
What is your thoughts on this?

2 John
Chapter 1
9: Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
10: If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
11: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
That's the problem.

You're teaching for doctrines the traditions of men about a passage instead of seeking the deeper meaning of the actual text.

Paul said,

1 Corinthians 7:27-28 ESV
Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be free. Are you free from a wife? Do not seek a wife. But if you do marry, you have not sinned,

Remarriage isn't a sin unless one marries one still bound to a spouse...Agunah.

This "Spirit of Truth" business is only a retreat into ignorance to hide from those who KNOW God's truth more than you do with your uninformed personal interpretation.

Forbidding to marry is a doctrine of devils who intend to divide and condemn the Lord's anointed.
I notice here you have quote from the bible the writings of Paul.

Do you believe everything that this man wrote that is found in the bible?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:35 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
There is no way I am going to indulge this ignorance.
:thumbsup
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertcarring View Post
I am not anything of this world.

I am not of this world.
I could have told you that you’re a space cadet. Lol
Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
What is your thoughts on this?

2 John
Chapter 1
9: Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
10: If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
11: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
Well, first you just plucked three verses out of an entire passage. Let’s look at the entire passage together and then sum up the writer’s original meaning. Here’s our text:
2 John 1:4-11 (KJV)
{1:4} I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy children
walking in truth, as we have received a commandment from
the Father. {1:5} And now I beseech thee, lady, not as
though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that
which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.
{1:6} And this is love, that we walk after his
commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have
heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it. {1:7} For
many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not
that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and
an antichrist. {1:8} Look to yourselves, that we lose not
those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a
full reward. {1:9} Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not
in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in
the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
{1:10} If there come any unto you, and bring not this
doctrine, receive him not into [your] house, neither bid him
God speed: {1:11} For he that biddeth him God speed is
partaker of his evil deeds.
John is the second epistle of John. It was most likely written from Ephesus. While I John was written to be circulated among the churches in Asia Minor, the audience of this letter is often debated. It is addressed to “the elect lady”. Translation of this phrase lends itself to several possible meanings. First, this could be figurative and indicating that this letter was written to a specific church in Asia Minor. It could also mean that the letter was written to a specific woman that John knew in Asia Minor. I personally believe that the term is used figuratively and indeed was circulated and eventually added to the Canon. So, I will be taking that approach in my interpretation.

As for our passage above, John commends the church for walking in the truth and obeying the Father’s commandment. John indicates that this is no knew commandment. The commandment is that they love one another. John’s epistles focus on two commandments. Loving God and loving the brethren. It can be argued that contextually these are the “commandments” that John refers to throughout his epistles.

John explains that they are to walk in the commandment to love one another and remember that many deceivers are entered into the world who do not believe that Jesus Christ came in the flesh. This is a reference to an ancient Christian heresy known as Gnosticism. They believed that Jesus was a materialized spirit being, not actual flesh. John lists these individuals as being deceivers and antichrist. They are to take heed to this that they do not become infiltrated with false doctrine and thereby lose their reward.

The doctrine of Christ…

John states that whosoever doesn’t abide in the doctrine of Christ (Christ’s teachings regarding loving God, loving one another, and His identity as God) “hath not God”. However, whoever abides in these teachings of Jesus has both the Father and the Son. No “third person” is mentioned here. John is likely alluding to the understanding that Father was manifest in the Son. This is a perichoretic oneness expressing the coinherence of two distinct natures (humanity and divinity). Coinherence is the state wherein two distinct realities subsist in a single state of being (as illustrated by Jesus in John 10:30 and John 14:8-11). These two subsistent realities are the Father and the Son. The Father is no doubt God Almighty. The Son is the man Jesus Christ. In these distinct realities we see both natures fully expressed. Therefore we see the Son praying to the Father and the Father speaking from Heaven with regards to the Son. However, the perichoretic coinherence of their subsistent realities demand that they are a single being. Thus we see one person manifest in two distinct, but not separate, natures. To put it bluntly, Jesus is God. Therefore, as John states, to have the Son is to have the Father. To have not the Son is to have not the Father. He that abides in this teaching has both the Father and the Son.

The charge…

During the first 200 to 300 years of Christianity Christians didn’t have “church buildings”. Christians primarily met in two places. In Judea early Christians met in the Temple with their Jewish friends and family (until the Jews rejected Christian fellowship and the temple was destroyed) and in homes. Throughout the Roman Empire most believers simply met in homes. It was therefore customary when gathering to receive brethren into this home based meetings. These meetings were structured as Paul stipulated in I Corinthians 14. This means that in these gatherings all in attendance “may all prophesy one by one”. They didn’t have the “pastoral” system with one man behind the pulpit teaching the entire congregation who listened from their pews. It was a discussion based meeting. The danger here was that deceivers and false prophets might attend these meetings and begin sharing and discussion false doctrine. Any individual coming to these gatherings who presented themselves as learned teachers were to be questioned with regards to if they believed that Jesus was indeed God manifested in flesh (full humanity). Anyone denying this doctrinal truth was denied fellowship in their home based gatherings. It was customary for churches to send letters of recommendation and fellowship along with, or ahead of, traveling elders (evangelists) so that other gatherings of Christians would receive them warmly. However, John states that they are not to give any support, not even a blessing, to false teachers (specifically the Gnostics). This is because if they did they would be furthering error and not truth, thereby being partakers in his evil deeds.

I pray I’ve properly explained my understanding of this text.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
I notice here you have quote from the bible the writings of Paul.

Do you believe everything that this man wrote that is found in the bible?
Yes.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Banned

This thread fails to see what Jesus was truly talking about. Let’s look at the text:
Matthew 19:3-9
{19:3} The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him,
and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his
wife for every cause? {19:4} And he answered and said
unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made [them] at
the beginning made them male and female, {19:5} And
said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and
shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
{19:6} Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh.
What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put
asunder. {19:7} They say unto him, Why did Moses then
command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her
away? {19:8} He saith unto them, Moses because of the
hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your
wives: but from the beginning it was not so. {19:9} And I
say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it
be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth
adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth
commit adultery.
The above passage is one of the most misunderstood passages in the NT. The Pharisees were questioning Jesus about “putting away” in Matthew. In ancient Judea there was a practice of sending a wife away without a writ of divorcement (the “get”). This ensured that the husband could keep the dowry and that the wife would not be able to remarry. Even today we see this issue arise in Judaism. Women in this situation are called Agunah, or “bound women”. Their husbands have put them away, however they are still bound to their husbands on account of the husband not giving the get. Notice that in Matthew 19:7 the Pharisees themselves speak of the writing of divorcement AND the putting away. In verse 3 the Pharisees skipped the writing of divorcement and simply asked about “putting away”. They were asking about this quite common practice.

Jesus tells them that whoever puts away his wife and marries another (referring to their question in verse 3) has committed adultery. Jesus also states that whoever marries the woman put away commits adultery. Why is this? Because merely putting away a woman without a writing of divorcement leaves the marriage fully intact in God’s sight. One had to issue the writing of divorcement per the Law of Moses to have the right to remarry.

Let’s look at the Gospel of Luke:
Luke 16:13-18
{16:13} No servant can serve two masters: for either he
will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to
the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and
mammon. {16:14} And the Pharisees also, who were
covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.
{16:15} And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify
yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for
that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in
the sight of God. {16:16} The law and the prophets [were]
until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached,
and every man presseth into it. {16:17} And it is easier for
heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.
{16:18} Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth
another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her
that is put away from [her] husband committeth adultery.
Notice that the focus of Jesus is serving God and money. The text points out that the Pharisees were scandalously covetous. Jesus rebukes their efforts to justify themselves before men and speaks of the eternality of the Law of God. Then Jesus throws putting away and remarriage up again. Jesus states that whoever puts a wife away, and marries another commits adultery. And whoever marries her that is put way commits adultery. Why was this thrown in right here? Again, Jesus is addressing their greed and covetousness with regards to them “putting away” their wives without the “get” and thereby claiming their right to keep the dowry, remarry, and leave their wives bound.

Jesus is rebuking the greed and abuse found among the Pharisees and defending women from their abuse and bondage by declaring that men who do this are adulterers if they remarry… and they “causeth her to commit adultery” if she remarries (clearly a sin on their hands).