Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
church, husband, leaving

Old 02-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Husband leaving the church. Very sad n stresse

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I am glad you are so spiritual to judge me. My church schedule is like this. Tuesday night prayer meeting bible study, Wednesday night bible study, Thursday night children's church, Saturday's we rotate between men and ladies breakfast or brunch, and yes we have a traditional 2 services. Not to mention I am bi-vocational. I am a pastor so yes it is expected of me to be there, but I have always been involved in the local church. I do it because it is my heart I am the church. You basically said you get tired of being around people. That is where we differ, I love to be around people.

My question is this. How frequent do you think the early church gathered? I don't depend on the church giving me an emotional high and I feel that comment borders blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. We come together to operate in the gifts of the Spirit which were are for the church. I have never known anyone used in the gifts sitting home on their couch engulfed in their self.
Amen!

But here's the problem. People forsake the assemblying together usually for two reasons (three if you include those who drop out because of some horrible over the top abuse or scandal): either they change their beliefs and drift off into agnosticism, atheism, or some wacky heresy, OR they come to the conclusion that what they know of and have access to as "church" is not truly apostolic and biblical.

Like if you found out as a catholic that your church is NOT biblical, and also discovered there's nothing but catholic churches available to you... what would you do?

I suppose some also leave because of petty issues (the preacher didn't shake my hand, the music isn't good enough, not enough entertainment going on, etc) but really that's borderline atheism anyway.

And of course I'm not talking about people who leave institutional church gatherings in favor of other formats, I'm talking about folks who don't want to assemble with brethren at all.

(And yes I understand some people for various reasons need to spend time on the mountain alone with God, but that's something else entirely.)

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-13-2015, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

About 15 years ago I would have been classified as an alcoholic. I laid outside of the trailer where I lived on the ground one night and prayed to God to let me die. I was so unfulfilled with life I had began to have suicidal thoughts. I mutilated my own body by burning my arms with cigarettes and other things while in a drunken stupor. I honestly don't believe I would be alive today if it wasn't for God grace. The Sunday I received the Holy Ghost has forever changed my life. After that day I had a strong desire to be in the house of God. Yes I do get a emotional high from it, but it is far more than emotion. I didn't have a preacher tell me that I must be faithful, but instead it was in my heart to be in His presence. I have enjoyment in personal devotion, but it is not the same as it is when the body assembles. I am saddened by what church means to some on here. As a new babe in the Lord I drug my parents all over a thirty mile radius to every apostolic service available. I even met my wife of now 11 years from a church service. Sure I agree, it is not always perfect, but it is our own outlook that most of the time destroys our experience with it. If I attend church with the mindset that church is just another thing that I have to do then I rob myself of the purpose. In the last six months I have had to remind myself of what I am doing it all for. I understand how people become complacent and lose the meaning of it all, but we don't have to. Here recently I cannot begin to explain all that God has done. We have seen people healed, my nine year old Son last Sunday received the Holy Ghost, and we have seen so many things in the last couple of weeks. I have gotten to the place I am anticipating every service to see what is next. This is not a ritual with me, but instead, church assembly is exciting. If church is some dead ritualistic practice it is because that is what you have made it. If people would come together with faith and expectation of a true experience with God every time they gather I think we would turn our communities upside down. I pray that the church would have revival and I don't mean the buildings I mean every body of believers. We are the Church so lets get united and quit squabbling and seek God together.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:10 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

+1!

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-13-2015, 09:24 AM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
About 15 years ago I would have been classified as an alcoholic. I laid outside of the trailer where I lived on the ground one night and prayed to God to let me die. I was so unfulfilled with life I had began to have suicidal thoughts. I mutilated my own body by burning my arms with cigarettes and other things while in a drunken stupor. I honestly don't believe I would be alive today if it wasn't for God grace. The Sunday I received the Holy Ghost has forever changed my life. After that day I had a strong desire to be in the house of God. Yes I do get a emotional high from it, but it is far more than emotion. I didn't have a preacher tell me that I must be faithful, but instead it was in my heart to be in His presence. I have enjoyment in personal devotion, but it is not the same as it is when the body assembles. I am saddened by what church means to some on here. As a new babe in the Lord I drug my parents all over a thirty mile radius to every apostolic service available. I even met my wife of now 11 years from a church service. Sure I agree, it is not always perfect, but it is our own outlook that most of the time destroys our experience with it. If I attend church with the mindset that church is just another thing that I have to do then I rob myself of the purpose. In the last six months I have had to remind myself of what I am doing it all for. I understand how people become complacent and lose the meaning of it all, but we don't have to. Here recently I cannot begin to explain all that God has done. We have seen people healed, my nine year old Son last Sunday received the Holy Ghost, and we have seen so many things in the last couple of weeks. I have gotten to the place I am anticipating every service to see what is next. This is not a ritual with me, but instead, church assembly is exciting. If church is some dead ritualistic practice it is because that is what you have made it. If people would come together with faith and expectation of a true experience with God every time they gather I think we would turn our communities upside down. I pray that the church would have revival and I don't mean the buildings I mean every body of believers. We are the Church so lets get united and quit squabbling and seek God together.
That's a wonderful testimony of what the Lord has done for you GS! I agree that the "body" of Christ is exactly that -a body - and it makes up many parts, and cannot be complete unless all the parts are functioning and working together. There are times when you have to withdraw yourself from a church congregation - as Esaias said - such as if there is a scandal, illegal activity, immoral activity, or other problems. However, one should not be complacent to sit around and not gather together with the body of Christ because of that. There are unique situations where perhaps there is no body to gather with, but I believe the Lord can lead and direct us to one.

Certainly, we see those in the book of Acts meeting as often as possible, breaking bread together and worshiping the Lord.

Bottom line - we all need one another. We cannot be islands unto ourselves. The heart of the gospel is to share it with others and to encourage one another, and sitting at home by ourselves precludes that.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

I never intended to convey the message that someone should stay in the middle of scandal and immorality. The bible teaches us to know them who labor among you. That is another issue. So many times people go to church and they have no connection and it blows their mind to hear something about someone else. We should get to know the people that we labor with. Spend time and don't be so distant the we are taken off guard. Most people smell a rat almost at first impression. Take time deciding the church to attend and getting to know people. I would even be up front with the pastor in consideration and while visiting explain that I am just looking and praying before I make any commitments. After a season you will know. P.S. there isn't any place perfect so you will have to settle over somethings, but they shouldn't be doctrinal truths.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am glad you are so spiritual to judge me. My church schedule is like this. Tuesday night prayer meeting bible study, Wednesday night bible study, Thursday night children's church, Saturday's we rotate between men and ladies breakfast or brunch, and yes we have a traditional 2 services. Not to mention I am bi-vocational. I am a pastor so yes it is expected of me to be there, but I have always been involved in the local church. I do it because it is my heart I am the church. You basically said you get tired of being around people. That is where we differ, I love to be around people.

My question is this. How frequent do you think the early church gathered? I don't depend on the church giving me an emotional high and I feel that comment borders blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. We come together to operate in the gifts of the Spirit which were are for the church. I have never known anyone used in the gifts sitting home on their couch engulfed in their self.
I am sorry if I sounded judgmental or I offended you. The "you" in my post was not meant to be toward you as an individual but more of a general term. I was trying to explain my situation so the sister in the original post would know her husband is not alone. I'll break down my story even more. The last few years I have been a pipeliner. Most jobs I take are away from home working 7 days 12 hours a day. These jobs last from 30 days up to 18 months. While away I support the church prayerfully and financially! My first service back the ministry and a group of saints will come by and wanna pray me through. The last time this happened I politely stopped them and asked exactly what are they praying me through from??? The only response was " We noticed you haven't been to church in a while.". This is highly offensive. I am not alone in feeling like this. I have spoken with other brothers in various churches and work situations " offshore river boats oilfield etc." who have had the same thing happen to them. My point is this. If I had to attend a service once a week or whatever to keep me from joining my co-workers in drinking drugging strip clubs etc etc I would be in sad shape. Instead its my love for Jesus Christ and deep founded beliefs.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstate1 View Post
I am sorry if I sounded judgmental or I offended you. The "you" in my post was not meant to be toward you as an individual but more of a general term. I was trying to explain my situation so the sister in the original post would know her husband is not alone. I'll break down my story even more. The last few years I have been a pipeliner. Most jobs I take are away from home working 7 days 12 hours a day. These jobs last from 30 days up to 18 months. While away I support the church prayerfully and financially! My first service back the ministry and a group of saints will come by and wanna pray me through. The last time this happened I politely stopped them and asked exactly what are they praying me through from??? The only response was " We noticed you haven't been to church in a while.". This is highly offensive. I am not alone in feeling like this. I have spoken with other brothers in various churches and work situations " offshore river boats oilfield etc." who have had the same thing happen to them. My point is this. If I had to attend a service once a week or whatever to keep me from joining my co-workers in drinking drugging strip clubs etc etc I would be in sad shape. Instead its my love for Jesus Christ and deep founded beliefs.

I think allstate1 brings up a good question and this is one I have been trying to get an answer to for years.

If you go to church once a week, twice or three or more times, is there a difference? Will God look at you and go, Son you only went to church once a week. I'm not letting you in heaven. Also why do we have to meet at church? Can't we get together with people outside of church and still fulfill the scripture?

I have always viewed the scripture in Hebrews as "go when you can go", "fellowship when you can fellowship". God knows your heart.

I don't think though you should be just going to a church just to fulfill that scripture. I'm not walking in any place just to say I have been to church.
Philippians 2:12 - ...Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling

Ephesians 4:5 - One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism

1 Corinthians 1:10 - Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Ephesians 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith ...
Old 02-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esphes45 View Post
I think allstate1 brings up a good question and this is one I have been trying to get an answer to for years.

If you go to church once a week, twice or three or more times, is there a difference? Will God look at you and go, Son you only went to church once a week. I'm not letting you in heaven. Also why do we have to meet at church? Can't we get together with people outside of church and still fulfill the scripture?

I have always viewed the scripture in Hebrews as "go when you can go", "fellowship when you can fellowship". God knows your heart.

I don't think though you should be just going to a church just to fulfill that scripture. I'm not walking in any place just to say I have been to church.
In the words of one of my favorite singers" I don't believe that heaven waits for only those who congregate ".
Old 02-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Banned

As for as the "body " analogy , remember the vital organs are not seen! I have heard this all my life and every time its preached or teached we "saints" or the body........well the hands the feet the mouth the ears. But, who is the heart the lungs the digestive system etc etc.

Last edited by allstate1; 02-13-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
I never intended to convey the message that someone should stay in the middle of scandal and immorality. The bible teaches us to know them who labor among you. That is another issue. So many times people go to church and they have no connection and it blows their mind to hear something about someone else. We should get to know the people that we labor with. Spend time and don't be so distant the we are taken off guard. Most people smell a rat almost at first impression. Take time deciding the church to attend and getting to know people. I would even be up front with the pastor in consideration and while visiting explain that I am just looking and praying before I make any commitments. After a season you will know. P.S. there isn't any place perfect so you will have to settle over somethings, but they shouldn't be doctrinal truths.
This post makes no sense to me and after reading it several times it only leads me to believe that you think each individual church is its own body.