Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
baptism

Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Re: Proof about Water Baptism

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
Luke, your love to jump up and down about false doctrine but what exactly are you calling false. It is hard to argue with a strawman argument.
Well besides his false "faith only" teaching with OSAS which is a total and virtual bankuptcy of the words of the Messiah for it.... That would be at the top of the list. He is a Paulinist and views scripture through selective reasoning despite what Jesus James, John and other taught. His theology is unbalanced.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
Luke, your love to jump up and down about false doctrine but what exactly are you calling false. It is hard to argue with a strawman argument.
Also I am stating my opinion I don't need anything as it was not a argument but an opinion. So your point of strawman is baseless! My point was to the ex UPC preacher you linked to. He uses McArthur as support. LOL! sheesh
Old 05-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Cross-examine it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUKE2447 View Post
uh no... Jesus, James, John are pretty clear on this. Even Paul is pretty clear in this as well. The problem Baron is you are stuck on Reformed doctrine that is about as false as it gets. There is a difference between "justice" of which God gives due to the atonement and righteousness which is judged by God of which you are either counted worthy or not.

The promise of eternal life is not different than that of Abraham and him being judged righteous due to his obedience in which the promises of God became a reality! To coming into covenant and staying in covenan are two different things. Jesus was very clear about our status with him is based on our response to him and his law just like Abraham. Which is a faith by works reality!

THe work of Christ is realized when you walk as he walked by the leading of his Spirit and fulfill his will/law!
Wow wonder if you were in Paul's mind when he said "having begun in the Spirit are you now made perfect by the flesh."

Salvation is complete in Jesus Christ. There is nothing I can do to ad to what he has done. My response to his salvation makes me want to walk close to him but that doesn't save me.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1710 View Post
Wow wonder if you were in Paul's mind when he said "having begun in the Spirit are you now made perfect by the flesh."

Salvation is complete in Jesus Christ. There is nothing I can do to ad to what he has done. My response to his salvation makes me want to walk close to him but that doesn't save me.
So obedience has nothing to do with the end result of eternal life? IF not, you clearly deny the Words of Christ. Yes, slavation is complete in Christ but it's not simply by a moment of time of faith at the very beginning but the life giving Spirit by which you follow in which you will be given eternal life should you continue in faith/walking/working after the Spirit. Thus you are lawful and God judged you faithful. Who said anything about being made perfect by the flesh? It is through his leading and me following him which is obedience. Christ does not impute righteousness to you in that you are complete and God never sees you sinning or the OSAS mentality. You live according to his will to be counted worthy.

Also as usual you fail to realize the Judgment in which you are judged by your works. You are not judged by Christ's work but your own unto faithfulness like Christ.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Follower of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicTexas View Post
I would like to share something that was presented to me.I will have to admit up to this point..I have no answer..but I do know what I experienced in my walk.This guy challenged me with the following.

Brother, i want you to take your bible and look carefully at Acts 2, 8, (Samaritans) 10, 19, and 22, and find where the word water is mentioned, or any indication that they were taken to a river, stream, pool, or that water was brought to them. You will have to admit that you are assuming the water to be there in the text. Which , quite frankly, it is not. You have to be able to answer the question, "How do you know from the scripture that these individuals were baptized with water. Show us....

1. Acts 22:16. Paul didn't get wet. Here's why... "And now why tarriest thou (What are you waiting for?), having risen, having been baptized, having washed away thy sins, having called on the name of the Lord..." Annanias was not telling Paul to stand up and get wet. consider:

Arise: "anastas": Aor. t. Simple English past tense. "Baptised": Aor. Mid. imperit. "having been baptized"- Aor T. again, and in the middle voice. The middle voice lays stress on the action TAKEN TO the subject. It is very close to the passive voice (which is the voice used throughout Acts relative to baptism). The middle and the passive disallow the involvement of the person being baptized as an active participant in their baptism. In other words, when they are baptized, they are a passive recipient. When John the Baptist baptized, most of the voices are in the active voice, which means that they actively participated in their water baptism. Not so in the middle or passive voice. "Washed": middle voice and aor. t. again "having washed ", "Calling": same thing- Aor. t. middle V.

In other words, what Annanias affirms to Paul is: "Now Paul, what are you waiting for? You have been raised (with Christ), you have already been baptized, already been washed and already called on the name of the Lord. " (Implication- Nothing left to do, so get going.)

2. Jhn 4:1-2. This coincides with John 3:22-30, which is in refernce to John the Baptists disciples transitioning over to Jesus. John's ministry was now coming to a close and he was about to be arrested. John said that Jesus must increase but that he must decrease. Look at these passages carefully. After John's disciples transition over to Jesus, water baptism is never performed or taught or brought up again by Christ. That ship has sailed.

3. Christ was water baptized (and there is no text that tells us to "follow Christ in baptism") because as our great high preist, it was necessary for him to be washed with water at the beginning of his ministry just like the Aaronic priests were washed with water at the beginning of theirs. Christ's baptism weas unique to Christ and does not pass down to us. See Ex. 29:4 for this. This is what Jesus was communicating to John when he said, "Let it be done so that we might fulfill all righteousness."

Where's the water?

What would be your response?
There is only one meaning of the word, to immerse and in context we know that it means in water, the Greeks used the word to describe a shipping going under in seas or being sunk.

There is no arguement here, baptism means to be buried in water.

My personal mission is to BRING people into a right relationship with God, GROW them up to maturity and SEND them back into the world to minister.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Jesus said except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot see, neither
can he enter into the Kingdom. No wonder some have not been able to understand,
(comprehend/see the Kingdom of God! Seems some just look for an excuse not to
obey God's Word. Why not be like those that believed and gladly received the Word.

Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

Falla39
Old 05-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Acts 10:[45] And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
[46] For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
[47] Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
[48] And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days

1 Peter 3:[20] Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
[21] The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ: