Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:52 AM
Banned

Re: Psychiatry An Industry Of Death Full Length

There is no shame in seeking help.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
there is no shame in seeking help.

my concern is that psychiatrists and their meds are harmful.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree there's no shame, or should be no shame, in seeking help; however, we likely disagree from whom we should seek help.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk013 View Post
You really think none of that effects you today?

You don't think facing all that abuse and bullying might have a little to do with the fact that you come across nigh constantly as cold, hard, abusive and bullying in here to anyone who you disagree with and who dare challenge your position on issues?

And just as you got too big and hardened to reprimand in real life, you brush off any criticism or reprimand here as well.

I'm no psychologist...but your post does explain a whole lot. Just further proves the truth: hurt people hurt people. I have read your posts for years and it always struck me how you could have so many tools in your repertoire, so many strengths and qualities, yet kindness and gentleness never seemed to be demonstrated. Your ongoing feud with Aquila being of the utmost examples. This post goes a great length to explaining though.

While not physical, you abuse just as you were abused. But because it isn't physical; you aren't burning hands or knocking men unconscious or smashing chairs on people in forums, you don't seem to see any lines crossed or abuses happen with the way you approach and confront disagreement here.

Of course that's not to say one cannot be healed of the wounds. You are correct 100% in that regard. But if you don't even realize you need it, can you be healed?

I think the scars of your abusive childhood go deeper and still effect more than you think sir. Just my opinion of course. I'm just a nobody on a forum.
So, your pearl clutching means someone else is damaged goods?

That's an AFF classic right there.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 07-19-2017, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
there is no shame in seeking help.

my concern is that psychiatrists and their meds are harmful.
Every psychiatrist and every medication?

Those generalized statements can be very misleading. My counselor was a Christian. He didn't want to even consider medications. He was honest about how the techniques he knew would only help with symptoms, but encouraged me to draw nearer to Christ for total healing.

There are many believers and even a number of truly born again believers serving in the mental health fields.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post

What is "pearl clutching"?
Old 07-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
I agree there's no shame, or should be no shame, in seeking help; however, we likely disagree from whom we should seek help.
I've struggled with the symptoms of PTSD since 2000. I turned to Jesus. Prayed. Prayed. Prayed. When my grandfather died in my arms the symptoms got worse. So I prayed, and prayed, and prayed. I turned to pastors that were clueless. My daily experiences working EMS were also making things worse. I got out of EMS and worked as a therapeutic programming assistant with the handicapped for about two years while I worked on getting into computers (applications management and database management, MCSA). After all, when a computer crashes you don't need to give it CPR or call the crash cart. I continued to pray, pray, and pray. My marriage fell apart in 2008-2009. The wakeup calls were starting to become glaring. It wasn't until 2012 that symptoms became so bad I was having some very disturbing thoughts and nightmares. That's 12 years of prayer and dealing with worsening symptoms of PTSD. So, I finally turned to Employee Care through work and was referred to a counselor after requesting a Christian counselor.

You guys act like I never even tried Jesus and like I don't want anyone else to try Jesus. I turned to a counselor because my symptoms were getting worse not better. I had finally, after 12 years, come to the conclusion that for some reason, Jesus chose not to heal me yet. And things were so bad it dawned on me, I could either seek counseling or eat a bullet. I chose counseling. And it wasn't like I was excited about it either. And frankly, I thought EMDR was a joke and wouldn't help one bit. But to my surprise, it did help me learn how to manage symptoms and episodes became fewer and farther between. And, as I said, I was eventually able to stop seeing my counselor and self administer the technique. Today, I've only had one episode in nearly a year (this past July). So, I hope that helps explain a little more.

Last edited by Aquila; 07-19-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Registered Saint

Quote:
I've struggled with the symptoms of PTSD since 2000. I turned to Jesus. Prayed. Prayed. Prayed. When my grandfather died in my arms the symptoms got worse. So I prayed, and prayed, and prayed. I turned to pastors that were clueless. My daily experiences working EMS were also making things worse. I got out of EMS and worked as a therapeutic programming assistant with the handicapped for about two years while I worked on getting into computers (applications management and database management, MCSA). After all, when a computer crashes you don't need to give it CPR or call the crash cart. I continued to pray, pray, and pray. My marriage fell apart in 2008-2009. The wakeup calls were starting to become glaring. It wasn't until 2012 that symptoms became so bad I was having some very disturbing thoughts and nightmares. That's 12 years of prayer and dealing with worsening symptoms of PTSD. So, I finally turned to Employee Care through work and was referred to a counselor after requesting a Christian counselor.

You guys act like I never even tried Jesus and like I don't want anyone else to try Jesus. I turned to a counselor because my symptoms were getting worse not better. I had finally, after 12 years, come to the conclusion that for some reason, Jesus chose not to heal me yet. And things were so bad it dawned on me, I could either seek counseling or eat a bullet. I chose counseling. And it wasn't like I was excited about it either. And frankly, I thought EMDR was a joke and wouldn't help one bit. But to my surprise, it did help me learn how to manage symptoms and episodes became fewer and farther between. And, as I said, I was eventually able to stop seeing my counselor and self administer the technique. Today, I've only had one episode in nearly a year (this past July). So, I hope that helps explain a little more.
Thank you for sharing that Aquila, your testimony shows how strong you have become and how much you truly love Jesus
Old 07-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

My former A/G church in Orlando had an Assistant Pastor on staff who is a Christian and is a licensed, Clinical Psychotherapist. He is an actual Doctor but when I last checked the church's website, he was no longer listed.

I spoke with him once in his office at the church. I mentioned the VA. He asked if they were saying anything that would lead you to question my faith in God. I said no. He then said that it would be in my best interest to continue my treatment process through the VA.

He asked me about my meds and dosages. He was concerned about SOME of the meds that are frequently prescribed and I know that because he plainly told me that. He also said it wasn't particularly bothered by what I was taking.

He asked me if I had a problem taking the meds. I told him sometimes I purposefully neglected to take them and sometimes I would forget but that I can see a difference in my thoughts when I am on my meds and when I am not. They improve my ability to concentrate, they help to maintain a regular sleep cycle, and they stabilize my mood swings.

He asked again if I had a problem taking the mental health medications. I said no but should I?

His response, that is between you and God.

I nodded in agreement.

Last edited by Jermyn Davidson; 07-19-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:55 PM
Registered Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post

Here comes Esaias to put everybody in their place!