Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-13-2016, 10:22 PM
Administrator

One of my blogs found its way to spiritualabuse.or

http://www.spiritualabuse.org/issues/baptism.html

Under the heading on the left hand side of the page, called "UPCI View", my article "In the Fight Over Water Baptism, the Missing Piece" is listed and given in a link.

It's actually kind of ironic. I am not UPCI, I'm not even traditionally Oneness the way the UPCI embraces it, and in the article I don't even make a single argument that ministers and members of the UPCI usually make when they discusses water baptism.

Maybe I should email them and ask them to remove it?

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 02-14-2016, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Re: One of my blogs found its way to spiritualabus

On the one hand I know an author wants as many people as possible to read their work but on the other hand it is being misrepresented here as a "UPC View". I think the right thing to do would be to at least advise them of the facts of the situation.

I believe the owner of that site used to post at AFF or its predecessor years ago and was a very principled person in her dealings here. I believe she would want to know if they have missed the mark on this.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"

Last edited by CC1; 02-14-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Yeshua is God

I am not UPCI either

I noticed they have a bad link to the gospel of Matthew in my website.
www.apostolic-bible.com
Old 02-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post
I am not UPCI either

I noticed they have a bad link to the gospel of Matthew in my website.
www.apostolic-bible.com
They have a bunch of mine there, too! I'm not UPC.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 02-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Did you read what was written before all the links? I just did. It wouldn't appear there is any misrepresentation when one reads.

"Below are links to various writings on the subject, stating several perspectives. Included under the UPC view are writings from other groups which believe likewise, at least in part. Therefore all are not representative of their view."
Old 02-14-2016, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
Did you read what was written before all the links? I just did. It wouldn't appear there is any misrepresentation when one reads.

"Below are links to various writings on the subject, stating several perspectives. Included under the UPC view are writings from other groups which believe likewise, at least in part. Therefore all are not representative of their view."
I never claimed there was misrepresentation. I just saw one poster here say he's not upc and I said I wasn't either.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 02-14-2016, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post

With that being the case, it is completely unfair to bunch together articles under the umbrella/banner of UPCI View, as if to say the UPCI upholds and agrees with all the expressed ideas in each article.

Just because some expressed belief is tangentially related to the official UPCI stance on immersion doesn't mean that it should be so listed.

In fact, whenever any group discusses or teaches on immersion, they likely all cross over into everyone else's ideas. It's kind of hard not to, considering immersion is all over the New Testament, and the themes surrounding immersion are universal and easy to recognize, as the Holy Scriptures make things pretty plain.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 02-15-2016, 02:09 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

What part of "all are not representative of their view" do you not understand?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

It is a basic lie.
Nothing more.
If they want to include other writings, then put them under "other points of view".
With their wording the could include anything under there and people would believe it was representative of the UPCI.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
It is a basic lie.
Nothing more.
If they want to include other writings, then put them under "other points of view".
With their wording the could include anything under there and people would believe it was representative of the UPCI.
It's not a lie. They have a disclaimer.

However, if I were Votivesoul, I would contact an Administrator for that website, inform them of my displeasure with their use and representation of my work, and ask them to remove it from their site.

Being that they are Christians, they will probably comply with the request.

It's not like that site doesn't have a "WEALTH" of other resources to draw from in order to help the people they are trying to help.