Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-14-2021, 05:58 AM
Registered Member

Re: Sons Inheriting Churches from Fathers $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoast1 View Post
The goal of this thread is not to disparage any one person. When I discovered this specific case, I felt it was important to shed some light on a real problem in Apostolic churches; the founding Pastor treating the church like it is a personal business to pass down to the next generation.

If finances are not a strong motivating factor, why make such a quick move towards installing your son as pastor? Even if, God forbid, Elder Parker passes away tomorrow, let the church board conduct a thorough and thoughtful Pastoral search. Setting some of Parker Jr's misgivings aside, it would still be highly inappropriate and somewhat disingenuous to some of the long term saints to install your son as Pastor with no formal leadership experience.

Some of you have been playing the same fiddle for years and I get that. Any time someone speaks out against the status quo, this person must be disgruntled or has a bone to pick. Think out side the box for five seconds and you just might agree with me. . . secretly of course.
Quote:
the founding Pastor treating the church like it is a personal business to pass down to the next generation.
This has been a topic of discussion for years. If God tells him to give it to his son to Pastor, are you going to tell him he’s wrong? Why not pray about it and ask God for yourself if this is the right thing to do? Are you afraid God won’t hear you? Or are you afraid of his answer?

Quote:
If finances are not a strong motivating factor, why make such a quick move towards installing your son as pastor? Even if, God forbid, Elder Parker passes away tomorrow, let the church board conduct a thorough and thoughtful Pastoral search.
Bro. Parker from what I understand made a good living with the tree cutting business he started when he first came to La Grande. That business is still in operation today, after over 30 years of starting it. What does that matter? His son is operating the business, so I would venture to say, financial reasons are not going to be the motivator here.

Church boards? Ive seen those same church boards, “choose” a Pastor form a state over a thousand miles away, and ordain him and his family. Only to let him go after a month because he preached too hard.

Quote:
Think out side the box for five seconds and you just might agree with me. . . secretly of course.
I don’t mind thinking out of the box. Yet, you’re accusing Bro. Parker of treating this as a family business. Yet, on the other hand you’re suggesting that they look for a Pastor as a business would?
Old 03-14-2021, 06:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
This has been a topic of discussion for years. If God tells him to give it to his son to Pastor, are you going to tell him he’s wrong? Why not pray about it and ask God for yourself if this is the right thing to do? Are you afraid God won’t hear you? Or are you afraid of his answer?

Bro. Parker from what I understand made a good living with the tree cutting business he started when he first came to La Grande. That business is still in operation today, after over 30 years of starting it. What does that matter? His son is operating the business, so I would venture to say, financial reasons are not going to be the motivator here.

Church boards? Ive seen those same church boards, “choose” a Pastor form a state over a thousand miles away, and ordain him and his family. Only to let him go after a month because he preached too hard.

I don’t mind thinking out of the box. Yet, you’re accusing Bro. Parker of treating this as a family business. Yet, on the other hand you’re suggesting that they look for a Pastor as a business would?
How did it become HIS possession in the first place to be bestowed upon someone else at his will?
Old 03-14-2021, 06:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
How did it become HIS possession in the first place to be bestowed upon someone else at his will?
Because he is the established leader of that assembly.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
One thing you and everyone else has to realize. Many of those saints there have been there for years. I believe when a Bro. Parker was given the church to Pastor back in 1988 or so, there was only 10-20 people. I believe there around 100 or more. They have multiple generations in the church. I’m not saying this just about you, yet, there are still churches, that still have saints, that still have trust in their Pastor or their leaders.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Brethren, please change the course of this thread to more generically discuss the merits or lack thereof regarding pastoral nepotism, and leave off the specifics and personal names of the church in question, or I will lock the thread.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 03-14-2021, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
Brethren, please change the course of this thread to more generically discuss the merits or lack thereof regarding pastoral nepotism, and leave off the specifics and personal names of the church in question, or I will lock the thread.
Thank you.

This thread ought to just go away as it is offensive.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Well. . .

It seems like y’all have it figured out!

Leftcoast1? Would you like to verify that you are indeed a preacher? And that you aspired to pastor this church?

The implication is that you are a liar. Could you respond to these accusations?

As far as his opinion mattering, or not, a preacher should have a sound reputation, within as well as without the church. His opinion matters. Not as much as the members opinions. But still . . .

In what world does the opinion of the brethren not matter? I don’t think this opinion stands up to the scripture.
I wondered what triggered this thread in the first place. So I went to checking.

The founding pastor of the original church there told me that just last week Bro Booker installed the son as the pastor officially. Said Bro B did a phenomenal job.

So west coast went to the meeting, heard what was going on, so on and so forth.

Yes, West Coast is a preacher. This thread is a result of his going to the meeting and seeing what is going on.

The church is growing, baptizing people every week.

Over 400 sounds like in attendance.

Now you know the rest of the story.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

If Pastors did not have so much autonomy over church finances and pushing their saints to essentially give up 10% of their hard earned income, I would venture to say Pastoral nepotism is not that big of a deal.

Generally speaking, most families are convinced to donate their hard earned income to pastors who travel from meeting to meeting and THEN sacrifice again when it comes time for expensive and over the top “pastor appreciation” celebrations. This is is why the CHURCH should at least have a little say in who is going to be spending their $$$-after all, the common folk are financing the operation.

Abstain from the very APPEARANCE of evil. What a difference a like can make.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
If Pastors did not have so much autonomy over church finances and pushing their saints to essentially give up 10% of their hard earned income, I would venture to say Pastoral nepotism is not that big of a deal.

Generally speaking, most families are convinced to donate their hard earned income to pastors who travel from meeting to meeting and THEN sacrifice again when it comes time for expensive and over the top “pastor appreciation” celebrations. This is is why the CHURCH should at least have a little say in who is going to be spending their $$$-after all, the common folk are financing the operation.

Abstain from the very APPEARANCE of evil. What a difference a like can make.
You going to answer TJJJ?
Old 03-14-2021, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJJ View Post
I wondered what triggered this thread in the first place. So I went to checking.

The founding pastor of the original church there told me that just last week Bro Booker installed the son as the pastor officially. Said Bro B did a phenomenal job.

So west coast went to the meeting, heard what was going on, so on and so forth.

Yes, West Coast is a preacher. This thread is a result of his going to the meeting and seeing what is going on.

The church is growing, baptizing people every week.

Over 400 sounds like in attendance.

Now you know the rest of the story.
None of the above.