Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-24-2021, 10:00 PM

“Just call me pastor, son”.

Where I attend(UPCI), the children and wife of my pastor, always refer to him as pastor, instead of “dad”, or “my husband”-When speaking during church service, or even in texting etc

Has always seemed strange to me, but maybe I’m missing something as to why…

Is that common in other churches in the UPC, or other denoms?

Why do they do that?

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 09-24-2021 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Re: “Just call me pastor, son”.

It seems weird to me, too.

I know someone that in public always refers to her husband as Brother (Last Name). What they do privately I am not sure.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 09-25-2021, 03:41 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Where I attend(UPCI), the children and wife of my pastor, always refer to him as pastor, instead of “dad”, or “my husband”-When speaking during church service, or even in texting etc

Why do they do that?
The pastor’s kids did that in the first church I attended. Something to do with respecting the office, more so others wouldn’t think so casually of the pastor.
Odd.

Many times the pastor mentioned of how difficult it is being a preacher’s kid because there are things a pk wants their father to know that he doesn’t want his pastor to know, and things he wants his pastor to know that he doesn’t want his father to know.

Or something like that
Old 09-25-2021, 06:02 AM
Registered Member

UPC is in chains to formalism.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:12 AM
Banned

Catholics are bound by their priests in the same way, calling them father only. Leaving the RCC and joining protestantism does not change much, but only in mannerisms.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

Matthew 23:6-10
They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, 'Rabbi, Rabbi.' But you, do not be called 'Rabbi'; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren. Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ.

3 John 1:9
…who loves to have the preeminence among them…

You know, that moment when the things written in the Bible start looking a lot like the same things they are doing, yet, they keep saying that it is not the case.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post

Why do they do that?

Of course, the real reason they do that is because it was done in the Bible routinely.

Oh wait. Never mind.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
UPC is in chains to formalism.
In my opinion I wouldn't go as far as to say chains of formalism. At least not all of Pentecost. I do believe some men love titles, and others believe titles and the use of them show a respect for the position or office.

To use the titles Elder, Bishop, Pastor, Evangelist, Apostle, Teacher, Saint, Prophet, Brother, Sister in my opinion isn't chains. Its shows respect to the individual, I wouldn't go up to a lady in the church and call her by her first name. Neither would I go up to a Pastor, or a Bishop and say, "hey Joe, hows it going?"

I will say this, that some believers have more respect for the world than the church. They'll show the utmost respect for the man that signs their checks, yet, they'll nitpick a leader in the church without even blinking! The president of the United States could be in their presence and they'll call him the proper title by the office he holds, yet when it comes to ministry, they have not a problem bringing up issues to condemn them to hell.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
In my opinion I wouldn't go as far as to say chains of formalism. At least not all of Pentecost. I do believe some men love titles, and others believe titles and the use of them show a respect for the position or office.

To use the titles Elder, Bishop, Pastor, Evangelist, Apostle, Teacher, Saint, Prophet, Brother, Sister in my opinion isn't chains. Its shows respect to the individual, I wouldn't go up to a lady in the church and call her by her first name. Neither would I go up to a Pastor, or a Bishop and say, "hey Joe, hows it going?"

I will say this, that some believers have more respect for the world than the church. They'll show the utmost respect for the man that signs their checks, yet, they'll nitpick a leader in the church without even blinking! The president of the United States could be in their presence and they'll call him the proper title by the office he holds, yet when it comes to ministry, they have not a problem bringing up issues to condemn them to hell.
Matthew 23:11-12 (NKJV) 11 But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

Mark 10:42-44 (NKJV) 42 But Jesus called them to Himself and said to them, "You know that those who are considered rulers over the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. 43 Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant. 44 And whoever of you desires to be first shall be slave of all.

We don't work as in the world. We don't need to use titles to show respect within the church, and to bring strict separation between brethren. We ought to think of each other as brethren, as a Family. We are not to replicate the world and have Kings, and Dukes, and Knights, etc...

2 Peter 3:15 (NKJV) 15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you,

[Act 12:2 KJV] And he killed {Pastor?} James the brother of John with the sword.
[Act 12:17 KJV] But he, beckoning unto them with the hand to hold their peace, declared unto them how the Lord had brought him out of the prison. And he said, Go shew these things unto {Pastor?} James, and to the brethren. And he departed, and went into another place.
[Act 21:18 KJV] And the [day] following {Apostle?} Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present.
[Gal 2:9 KJV] And when {Pastor?} James, {Apostle?} Cephas, and {Apostle?} John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we [should go] unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

[1Co 15:5 KJV] And that he was seen of {Missionary?} Cephas, then of the twelve:
[1Co 15:7 KJV] After that, he was seen of {Pastor?} James; then of all the apostles.

This is the thing, they didn't use titles, except when trying to make a distinction of who they were talking about:

Acts 21:8 (NKJV) 8 On the next day we who were Paul's companions departed and came to Caesarea, and entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him.

Last edited by coksiw; 09-25-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post

Brother,

Just quote scripture where someone is referred to as pastor so and so. If I remember correctly the leaders are required to be servants, which is what minister meant in the Bible. We have changed the definition of minister.

If we are truly Apostolic, we should recognize that we are supposed to ALL possess spiritual gifts. The gifts are diverse but they are all of the same Spirit. We worship the Spirit, not the human. Or we should.

Does anyone ever address someone gifted in tongues and interpretation by an exalted title? Why the pastor? If brother so and so is sufficient for an elder or deacon, (an uncompensated office) why should it not be sufficient for the pastor?

Why is there no scripture instructing us to address the pastor as a higher up deserving a special title?

If it is important as preachers seem to think it is, it sure seems that there would be scripture to instruct us to do so.

I have heard so many visiting preachers spend so much time bragging on the pastor. It brings to mind a scripture.

1Corinthians 1:29

[29] That no flesh should glory in his presence.

These preachers must not believe God is present in the building. They sure seem to glorify the flesh a lot. Maybe it’s a money thing. Bragging on the one who makes the decision to call them to preach is probably beneficial to their bank account.

Those are my thoughts anyway.