Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Smoking in pregnancy is far less damaging...

Smoking in pregnancy is far less damaging to the unborn baby than commonly supposed, detailed analysis suggests. If women give up smoking by the fifth month of pregnancy, the effect on the baby is negligible, the study found. And even if they do not, the effect on birthweight is surprisingly small.

The study by Emma Tominey, a research assistant at the Centre for Economic Performance at the London School of Economics, throws new light on government efforts to stop women smoking when they become pregnant. While it does not suggest that such efforts are pointless, it shows that directing advice towards the newly pregnant is worthwhile.

It also shows that the worst effects are suffered by women from the poorest backgrounds, because in their case smoking is often combined with other unhealthy activities, such as poor diet and consumption of alcohol.

Middle-class women suffer almost no damaging effects, the analysis suggests, even if they continue to smoke throughout pregnancy.
Related Links

* Postnatal depression ‘worse with male baby’

The findings, published as a report by the centre, will not be welcomed by anti-smoking groups, whose message to young women is intended to make them feel guilty about damaging their babies.

In Ms Tominey’s view, the damage is real but relatively small, and even if all women gave up smoking, only about one in eight babies with a low birthweight would avoid being classified as such.

The report uses data from the UK National Child Development Study, which provides details of mothers and their children between 1973 and 2000 — a total of 3,368 women and 6,860 children.

The information includes the mothers’ smoking habits, information about their families, and the birthweight and gestation period of the children.

Analysis of the data shows that smoking throughout pregnancy reduces birthweight by 5.6 per cent, and the gestation period by just over a day. But when the results are corrected for other factors, such as diet, lifestyle and alcohol, the effect of smoking on birthweight drops to 1.8 per cent and the reduction in gestation becomes insignificant.

The study also finds that, contrary to the normal belief that damage is done early in pregnancy, it is the final third that matters most, because this is when babies gain the most weight.

Another surprising finding is the strong class effect. The damage is greatest among mothers with the lowest levels of education. Those who leave school at 16 cause twice the harm to their babies with each cigarette smoked. Ms Tominey concludes: “Other behaviours of the mother play a large role . . . over and above her smoking habits.”

Policies intended to help babies should aim to educate mothers generally, not simply try to persuade them to stop smoking, she said.

However, she does not conclude that smoking is harmless. “We find that up to 13 per cent of children classified as low-birthweight born to smoking mothers could have been classified as healthy, had their mothers not smoked.”

The policy implications, however, are that stopping smoking alone is not enough to deal with inequalities in child health, she concludes.

“Not only is it the low-socioeconomic-status mothers who choose to smoke, but they are also the mothers bearing the greatest burden from the smoking.”

She said: “Therefore, any potential solution must offer help to these mothers, to target those with the worst habits and poorest records of child health.”

TimesOnline.com
Old 02-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Live like it.

Re: Smoking in pregnancy is far less damaging...

Do you smoke Twisp?

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring...
April Showers Bring May Flowers!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Sorry, but I don't believe the above info at all. A friend of mine just had her baby almost a month early...she smoked the entire time.

Another friend of mine has 5 kids. Her first one she didn't smoke with. He's fine. The other four all have asthma, and it got worse with each kid until the doc told her with the last one that her and her husband would have to go outside and smoke as they had to have a smoke-free home.

Smoking directly impacts the development of a baby in that smoking causes vasocontriction of all blood vessels. This includes the blood vessels in the baby's body. Vasocontriction of the vessels in the umbilical cord will reduce the amount of nutrition and oxygen the baby receives to develop properly. Lower IQ's in children have also been linked to mothers who smoked while pregnant.

Sure, there are healthy children born to smoking mothers, but it's not the norm, nor do I believe that 13% is accurate as described above.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. LPW View Post
Do you smoke Twisp?
No.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Sorry, but the point is? It may or may not be harmful to the baby, but it is most definitely harmful to the parent, and once it is born it's lungs will be affected by second hand smoke (not to mention that the health of it's parent will also affect the child). You puzzle me.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Getting to know Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
Sorry, but I don't believe the above info at all. A friend of mine just had her baby almost a month early...she smoked the entire time.

Another friend of mine has 5 kids. Her first one she didn't smoke with. He's fine. The other four all have asthma, and it got worse with each kid until the doc told her with the last one that her and her husband would have to go outside and smoke as they had to have a smoke-free home.

Smoking directly impacts the development of a baby in that smoking causes vasocontriction of all blood vessels. This includes the blood vessels in the baby's body. Vasocontriction of the vessels in the umbilical cord will reduce the amount of nutrition and oxygen the baby receives to develop properly. Lower IQ's in children have also been linked to mothers who smoked while pregnant.

Sure, there are healthy children born to smoking mothers, but it's not the norm, nor do I believe that 13% is accurate as described above.
I'm the oldest of five kids; my mom smoked when she was pregnant with me - I was born 6 weeks early & was 4 lbs 8 oz & I have mild asthma. My mom quit smoking after I was born. All four of my siblings were full term/normal weight & no asthma.
Psa 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

1Pe 5:6-7 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Tit 3:2 To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.

Psa 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyde View Post
Sorry, but the point is? It may or may not be harmful to the baby, but it is most definitely harmful to the parent, and once it is born it's lungs will be affected by second hand smoke (not to mention that the health of it's parent will also affect the child). You puzzle me.
It was just an interesting article.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Smoking not only effects women, but sperm also. I read an interesting article on this years ago. It causes the sperm to be deformed. So men that smoke if they are considering children would be wise to stop smoking. I have no reference for this at the time and have not time to google it right now.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kae View Post
Smoking not only effects women, but sperm also. I read an interesting article on this years ago. It causes the sperm to be deformed. So men that smoke if they are considering children would be wise to stop smoking. I have no reference for this at the time and have not time to google it right now.
I've heard basically the same thing. It also slows their motility, making getting pregnant difficult as well.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
I've heard basically the same thing. It also slows their motility, making getting pregnant difficult as well.
I know several people that SHOULD smoke!

- Groucho Marx