Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Sister Alvear

Missionary or a Mercenary

this is a rough copy of a study I am working on for new missionaries...please help me...thanks

Missionary or a Mercenary

A mercenary is a person who takes part in an armed conflict, who is not a national or a party to the conflict, and is "motivated to take part in the hostilities essentially by the desire for private gain and, in fact, is promised, by or on behalf of a party to the conflict, material compensation substantially in excess of that promised or paid to combatants of similar ranks and functions in the armed forces of that Party” From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Missionaries like all believers should represent Christ in all activities of their life. They should strive to have a good report. In John Jesus told us about the good Shepherd and what he would do for the sheep. The image of shepherds is that they are kind, loving, patient, strong, and self-sacrificing. The Good Shepherd protects us at all costs--even at the price of his own life.

I have known the REAL and the FALSE.... some that were motivated by the lost souls of mankind...others that were opportunist...too lazy to work... with other motives in mind... Being a mercenary Hollywood style, seems to be defined by the rules of free enterprise. Their portrayal of a mercenary is a person better trained than regular army personel, who willingly sells their acquired martial skills, as a professional assassin, hired killer, or soldier of fortune, for revenge or an unjust cause. (copied)

Mercenaries, opportunists, misfits or missionaries if you are on the field long enough you will meet them all...

I have seen people come to Brazil and take pictures of our work and run to the states and show the pictures just like it was people that they had bled and sweated for...
My son sat in a missionary presentation of a certain missionary and included in his slides was a few slides of our churches…

A half truth is a LIE…even if it is done in Jesus Name. I have never liked a deceiver.
Missionaries are NOT mere Soldiers. In Europe during feudal times, they were hired and paid by foreign governments, to fight battles or they were forced into military service, to pay for the use of farmland, to fulfill the legal obligation of their overlords to the crown, as was the case in England, during those times.

These were not warriors, they were mercenaries. They were moved by money not by love.

When warriors fight, they do it for love of their families, tribes and nations, not because a government made a convenient deal with them or has legislated mandatory military service, as payment for the privileges of citizenship
I have seen people take pictures of empty lots wherever and send home asking for money to build a church and they didn´t even own the lot and had no intentions of buying it..

A certain man planted a vineyard, and let it forth to husbandmen, and went into a far country for a long time. And at the season he sent a servant to the husbandmen, that they should give him of the fruit of the vineyard: but the husbandmen beat him, and set him away empty. And again he sent another servant: and they beat him also, and entreated him shamefully, and sent him away empty. And again he sent a third: and they wounded him also, and cast him out. Then said the lord of the vineyard, What shall I do? I will send my beloved son: it may be they will reverence him when they see him. But when the husbandmen saw him, they reasoned among themselves, saying, This is the heir: come, let us kill him, that the inheritance may be our's. So they cast him out of the vineyard, and killed him. What therefore shall the lord of the vineyard do unto them? He shall come and destroy these husbandmen, and shall give the vineyard to others (Luke 20:9-16).
I have known so called spiritual leaders that are not concerned about i spiritual perfection instead they pursuing personal, mercenary interests.

In an article by Pastor Thomas Cassiy he mentions this concerning the Philippines but this could be applied to any country.

1. The true Missionary: Doing the job God called him to do, preaching the gospel, winning souls for Christ, planting New Testament Baptist churches, training indigenous men to pastor the churches being planted. This group is the smallest minority of those Americans present in the Philippines at this time.
2. The Stationary: Came to the Philippines some time ago, started a church, hunkered down and has been pastoring that little flock ever since, never leading the church to be self- supporting, cashing his missions check each month, and is effectively retired-in-place. This is what the Filipinos call 'welfare missions'; supported by the rich Americans because 'everyone knows those poor stupid Filipino's can't support a pastor, they can hardly feed themselves.'
3. The Vacationary: Can be identified by the camera around his neck, and the tour bus ticket stubs sticking out of his pocket. He is having such a great time touring the beautiful country he has little time for church planting and soul winning. However, to salve his conscience he makes it a point to give every tour bus driver a copy of the tract "God's Simple Plan of Salvation." Of course all of the money for his travel comes from his faithful supporters back home.
4. The Businessionary: Is the man that is in the import/export business with his brother-in-law back in the states and does not have the time to plant churches or train men for the ministry. He usually just gives $50 or so to a local pastor and claims that man's work as his own. He makes a lot of money, but continues to receive support from the churches in the states, which is often invested in his business rather than the Lord's work.
5. The Mercenary: Is for sale to the highest bidder. He may be offered a job managing a resort or other business (American's are very popular in the Philippines and can open a lot of business doors for those for whom they work). He holds a 'Bible study' semi-regularly at the resort or business, which is the spiritual equivalent of the object lesson in junior church last week, and continues to receive support money from the states.
6. The Mission-hari: Hari is the Tagalog word for 'King'. He has raised 3 or 4 thousand dollars a month support money, comes to the field and rents or buys a big house, hires cooks and maids for his wife, and a gardener and sometimes even a driver for himself, goes out to some of the small indigenous works in the area and has his picture taken in front of the church buildings with his arm around the local pastors, gives the pastors $50 a month of his support and sends the pictures back to the states telling the supporting churches what a great job he is doing working with the local people, being a real help to them. All the while living in his 'palace', swimming in his pool, being waited on by the maid, watching the driver wash his car, and looking out over the little 'kingdom' he has built for himself. Saying 'Isn't God good.'
It is unbelievable but so true...I know I have lived on the field for over 40 years...I know missionaries that the nationals are really NOT even welcome in their homes...Not long ago a missionary told me he was going to build a room to receive the people apart from his home. I think this is disgusting and wonder why a person would even come to a foreign field to serve and those he is supposed to serve are not welcome in his home. My view is unpopular among American missionaries but I do not think a person is even called if they think they are on some high level among the people.

I did not come to set up MY home in their country. I came to serve the Brazilians and tell them the life changing story of Jesus.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 06-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Sister Alvear

Re: Missionary or a Mercenary

I think I mentioned this before...however before I die I would like to write a book to help new missionaries...Our purpose should be to save souls, train workers and not build a personal kingdom.

maybe some of us that do missionary work could work together on something like this...

Old 06-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Christmas 2009

This is excellent stuff!! Alot of this could apply to pastoring in the U.S. as well. Good thoughts.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

WOW

Sister Alvear,

I have cut and pasted your first post into my files!

Good stuff that absolutely needs to be out there for all to read.

Very timely and good!

TJJJ
Old 06-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Sister Alvear

thank you...in time I would like with the help of others that work in missions to get some type guide put together to help new missionaries...

Old 06-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Absolute Agenda

Of your MANY wonderful posts, this may easily be the deepest and most profound teaching. It should be required reading both at home and aboard.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Very good, Sis. Alvear! This an article worth reading over and over.

And you really should write that book....

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 06-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Very good article, Sis. Alvear. I do have one question: Do you think it is wrong for a missionary that is being supported by people from the USA/Canada to have a side business, like import/export, as long as it does not seriously detract from his main purpose, and he keeps his missionary endeavors as top priority?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Sister Alvear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seguidordejesus View Post
Very good article, Sis. Alvear. I do have one question: Do you think it is wrong for a missionary that is being supported by people from the USA/Canada to have a side business, like import/export, as long as it does not seriously detract from his main purpose, and he keeps his missionary endeavors as top priority?

there are several ways to look at the question...I have often taught English classes to help us make ends meet...my son in law teaches English because he has no stateside support...

I encouraged a younger missionary to teach English one day a week to help on his bills...If the people see you are not afraid to work it is a good example.

Missionaries that sleep all day and pay nationals to preach may send glowing reports to the states but usually they have no lasting effects...

If our call is missionary work that should be the prime interest in our life...over the years I have seen some get so business minded they forgot their real purpose...

Old 06-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Crazy father of 4

Location: Now? Phoenix, AZ. Before? Newark, OH, Wyandotte, MI, Tampa, FL

Now that there will preach, I don't care who you are. Good words from a wise woman.

I'll get back to you when I figure it out.