Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Banned

Re: Why Baptize In Jesus Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Did Paul baptize HIMSELF???????????????????????? It is in the MIDDLE voice look it up. He no more invoked the name than he baptized himself.
Look up the meaning of the words "thou" and "thy" and how they're used in common everyday language. The passage is written for actions Paul was to undertake, not the person doing the baptizing. There is no "middle voice" in the passage, only the personal pronouns 'you' and 'your' which are directly referring to Paul. There's nothing else in the verse.

Act 22:16 'Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.'

The "you" in "why do YOU delay isn't speaking of the baptizor, it's speaking of Paul, the "your" in "wash away YOUR sins, calling on the name of the Lord", isn't speaking of the baptizor's sins, it's speaking of Paul.

Try as you may, you're not going to make the scripture support the teaching that the forgiveness of one's sins is dependent on the performance of another man, in addition to Jesus.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Did Paul baptize HIMSELF???????????????????????? It is in the MIDDLE voice look it up. He no more invoked the name than he baptized himself.
Bro. Epley, Do you believe it would be out of order for both the Administrator and the person baptized to speak words?

I am referring to I Corinthians 1:15 (which clearly shows the Disciples were doing the baptizing) "And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other", and Acts 8:37 "And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."
Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerman View Post
Look up the meaning of the words "thou" and "thy" and how they're used in common everyday language. The passage is written for actions Paul was to undertake, not the person doing the baptizing. There is no "middle voice" in the passage, only the personal pronouns 'you' and 'your' which are directly referring to Paul. There's nothing else in the verse.

Act 22:16 'Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.'

The "you" in "why do YOU delay isn't speaking of the baptizor, it's speaking of Paul, the "your" in "wash away YOUR sins, calling on the name of the Lord", isn't speaking of the baptizor's sins, it's speaking of Paul.

Try as you may, you're not going to make the scripture support the teaching that the forgiveness of one's sins is dependent on the performance of another man, in addition to Jesus.
The middle voice in in the Greek.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Bro. Epley, Do you believe it would be out of order for both the Administrator and the person baptized to speak words?

I am referring to I Corinthians 1:15 (which clearly shows the Disciples were doing the baptizing) "And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other", and Acts 8:37 "And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."
I certainly would have no objection.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
The middle voice in in the Greek.
The subject is Paul and him calling on the name of the Lord thus the terms "you" and "your".
Old 03-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
I certainly would have no objection.
Awesome!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Holiness Is Still Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Awesome!!!
Here's a question. Likewise, do you have an issue with someone invoking the Name over someone else in baptism?

I personally could care less as long as the name is invoked.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialedbyfire View Post
Here's a question. Likewise, do you have an issue with someone invoking the Name over someone else in baptism?

No, I don't care as long as the name is invoked. I was just thinking that if both participated, speaking a confession of faith and one pronouncing that confession, it would be more personal to the person being baptized. At least it would for me.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialedbyfire View Post

Why invoke a name over someone? The person doing the immersion doesn't have any power over the individual being baptized, good or bad, by his words.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Holiness Is Still Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerman View Post
Why invoke a name over someone? The person doing the immersion doesn't have any power over the individual being baptized, good or bad, by his words.
The same reason why you'd invoke the name over a demon possessed person.