Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Harry Houdini

What an odd assumption I read last night.

"In 1906 America's collective intrigue was focused on a new breed of entertainer--magicians and supernaturalists--not the least of whom was Harry Houdini. It may be a novel idea to suggest that Houdini in some way indirectly influenced the spectacle at Azusa, but when one considers the world-wide fame the great magician was enjoying at a time contemporaneous with the revival, it is not beyond probability that many of those attending the Azusa mission were primed for a supernatural experiences by there exposure to the many media accounts of Houdini's colorful exploits, and those of many other magicians touring the world during that period of time".

have your pets spayed or neutered
Bob Barker
Old 04-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

That is really strange because Houdini was on a mission to debunk "spiritualists" who claimed supernatural powers and the ability to communicate with the dead.

He made such enemies of them that there is a theory that he was poisoned to death by them. There had been threats on his life by spiritualists.

I can't imagine what the link would be between Houdini and Azusa. He was quite clear that what he did was skill and illusion.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
That is really strange because Houdini was on a mission to debunk "spiritualists" who claimed supernatural powers and the ability to communicate with the dead.

He made such enemies of them that there is a theory that he was poisoned to death by them. There had been threats on his life by spiritualists.

I can't imagine what the link would be between Houdini and Azusa. He was quite clear that what he did was skill and illusion.
I did not know that he made it known that his art was skill and illusion.

Was this an announcement he made to the masses, or something that was a disclaimer before a performance?

I think its clear that the writer of this assumption is connecting it by people being in pursuit of supernatural powers and the general draw of magicians at this particular time.

BTW I don't think its right. How can we connect major historical events to the happenings of "Hollywood"?

Bob Barker
Old 04-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutless View Post
I did not know that he made it known that his art was skill and illusion.

Was this an announcement he made to the masses, or something that was a disclaimer before a performance?

I think its clear that the writer of this assumption is connecting it by people being in pursuit of supernatural powers and the general draw of magicians at this particular time.

BTW I don't think its right. How can we connect major historical events to the happenings of "Hollywood"?
Part of his performances was debunking mediums. That is why they hated him.

It is interesting that because Houdini told his wife that if it were possible for the dead to contact the living he would do so on Halloween each year there has been this urban legend that he was into seances,etc when the opposite is true. He fully did not expect to be able to do that and it was his way of one more time debunking spiritualists.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Part of his performances was debunking mediums. That is why they hated him.

It is interesting that because Houdini told his wife that if it were possible for the dead to contact the living he would do so on Halloween each year there has been this urban legend that he was into seances,etc when the opposite is true. He fully did not expect to be able to do that and it was his way of one more time debunking spiritualists.
All the more reason for......oh I don't know, Charles Parnham or Willy Seymour??????

...............to try harder?

Bob Barker
Old 04-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutless View Post
What an odd assumption I read last night.

"In 1906 America's collective intrigue was focused on a new breed of entertainer--magicians and supernaturalists--not the least of whom was Harry Houdini. It may be a novel idea to suggest that Houdini in some way indirectly influenced the spectacle at Azusa, but when one considers the world-wide fame the great magician was enjoying at a time contemporaneous with the revival, it is not beyond probability that many of those attending the Azusa mission were primed for a supernatural experiences by there exposure to the many media accounts of Houdini's colorful exploits, and those of many other magicians touring the world during that period of time".
Yes that is quite a leap. The author is not being very honest in making such a flagrant assumption. BTW Houdini was an illusionists who also had a knack for exposing fake spiritualists (talking to the dead). He did tricks. How can doing tricks contribute to Azusa street?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Yes that is quite a leap. The author is not being very honest in making such a flagrant assumption. BTW Houdini was an illusionists who also had a knack for exposing fake spiritualists (talking to the dead). He did tricks. How can doing tricks contribute to Azusa street?
I really don't think the writer connects tricks to Azusa. Rather the fact that society, due to the popularity of magicians at the time was primed for this spiritual adventure

Bob Barker