Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Re: What Are You Reading Currently, 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory by Brian Greene.
I have tried to read him, but cosmology makes my brain ache. I always find up reading easy books about dolphin behavior, or astronaut memoirs, when I need a science fix..

I'm currently about to finish The Patient Will See You Now, about how smartphones, big data, etc. are revolutionizing medicine.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:30 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merseyferrier View Post
I have tried to read him, but cosmology makes my brain ache. I always find up reading easy books about dolphin behavior, or astronaut memoirs, when I need a science fix..

I'm currently about to finish The Patient Will See You Now, about how smartphones, big data, etc. are revolutionizing medicine.
Gerry & The Pacemakers?
Old 06-20-2017, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Gerry & The Pacemakers?
Hah! Yes. Heard the song in high school and it resonated with me. Some day I should go to England and actually see the Mersey.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:55 PM
Administrator

I just finished 1984 by George Orwell.

Also finished up Romans in the NKJV and have moved on to 1 Corinthians.

I started reading Hail, Holy Queen: The Mother of God in the Word of God by Dr. Scott Hahn.

https://www.amazon.com/Hail-Holy-Que.../dp/0385501692

From the jacket:

Quote:
A fresh and enlightening new perspective on Mary, Mother of God, and her central importance in the Christian faith, from the author of the highly successful The Lamb's Supper.

In The Lamb's Supper, Catholic scholar and apologist Scott Hahn explored the relationship between the Book of Revelation and the Roman Catholic Mass, deftly clarifying the most subtle of theological points with analogies and anecdotes from everyday life. In Hail, Holy Queen, he employs the same accessible, entertaining style to demonstrate Mary's essential role in Christianity's redemptive message.

Most Christians know that the life of Jesus is foreshadowed throughout the Old Testament. Through a close examination of the Bible, as well as the work of both Catholic and Protestant scholars and clergy, Hahn brings to light the small but significant details showing that just as Jesus is the "New Adam," so Mary is the "New Eve." He unveils the Marian mystery at the heart of the Book of Revelation and reveals how it is foretold in the very first pages of the Book of Genesis and in the story of King David's monarchy, which speaks of a privileged place for the mother of the king.

Building on these scriptural and historical foundations, Hahn presents a new look at the Marian doctrines: Her Immaculate Conception, Perpetual Virginity, Assumption, and Coronation. As he guides modern-day readers through passages filled with mysteries and poetry, Hahn helps them rediscover the ancient art and science of reading the Scriptures and gain a more profound understanding of their truthfulness and relevance to faith and the practice of religion in the contemporary world.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/

Last edited by votivesoul; 06-28-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Funny story:

I was making the post above, and when I was at the link at Amazon, my daughter saw the pic and said "That must be a Catholic book". I said it was, and asked her how she knew. She said "Because Catholic's worship Mary as the Queen of Heaven". Not quite out of the mouths of babes, as she's about to turn seven, but still, I was quite impressed.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Yeshua is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
Funny story:

I was making the post above, and when I was at the link at Amazon, my daughter saw the pic and said "That must be a Catholic book". I said it was, and asked her how she knew. She said "Because Catholic's worship Mary as the Queen of Heaven". Not quite out of the mouths of babes, as she's about to turn seven, but still, I was quite impressed.
Why use your valuable time reading about a concept that is not biblical or has little profit in it.

The worship of Mary comes from ancient paganism, they used only some pretexts from the Bible to retain this ancient pagan custom.

Does "Great is Diana of the Ephesians" ring any bells?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post
Why use your valuable time reading about a concept that is not biblical or has little profit in it.

The worship of Mary comes from ancient paganism, they used only some pretexts from the Bible to retain this ancient pagan custom.

Does "Great is Diana of the Ephesians" ring any bells?
Because it's my time to use?

But seriously, I intentionally read material I do not agree with, first as a challenge to my own suppositions, and second, to better equip myself apologetically against the arguments made by those who disagree with me and I with them.

If I can discern from their own apologists the weaknesses and flaws of their arguments, I can more easily dismantle their view of things, and help them see the light, should opportunity ever arise to do so.

And for the record, this isn't just pop-Catholicism distilled into a book. The author is professor of theology at the Franciscan University of Steubenville and sat on Pope Benedict XVI's Chair of Biblical Theology and Liturgical Proclamation at Saint Vincent Seminary, while also serving as the President and Founder of the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology, in Steubenville.

The book in question received the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur, which are official declarations of the Catholic Church indicating that a book or pamphlet is free of doctrinal or moral error.

So, this is a pretty important book for Catholics, and, if it can be dismantled and proven inaccurate, how many Catholic believers, who honor and respect the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur of the Catholic Church, might come into a greater, more Biblically consistent profession of faith?

Lastly, I simply enjoy reading and make it my business to be as widely read as I possibly can. With the rare exception, such as 1984 mentioned above, I almost never read fiction, preferring to read history, theology and other Biblical studies, social science, and religious literature. I find the Lord uses this to help shape me and my understanding of the Word, and gives me a chance to find out and learn things many of my peers never have the chance to find out or learn, for lack of involving themselves in the same pursuits.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Joe Pickett and Jack Reacher
Old 07-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Administrator

I just finished "Raven Rock: The Story of the U.S. Government's Secret Plan to Save Itself While the Rest of Us Die".
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 07-06-2017, 05:27 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I just finished "Raven Rock: The Story of the U.S. Government's Secret Plan to Save Itself While the Rest of Us Die".
Borrowed from Esaias' library.