Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Follower of Jesus

Re: Prominent Memphis Area Pastor Resigns

I thought this might be relevant to this discussion, From Ed Stetzer's Blog:

It is quite normal for pastors to live in a culture of isolation and separation. One pastor cogently captured it for me this way as he said, "Everyone else in the body of Christ can confess sin, but if I do I'm done." The reality is that every pastor is a person in the middle of his own sanctification. A pastoral culture of silence and separation simply can't work. Is it workable for a pastor to live in isolation from the essential sanctifying ministry of the body of Christ?

My personal mission is to BRING people into a right relationship with God, GROW them up to maturity and SEND them back into the world to minister.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlswift2009 View Post
The GREATEST Show; the GREATEST Church in Memphis???? I was viewing TPC video service from 11.25.12, and this is the statement that the minister made as he was preparing to bring forth Pastor Brown; "We are the GREATEST Church in Memphis"; I do believe that this type of HYPE/ARROGANCE is what has been breaded into the thinking of its parrishioners, and this is what can/has alienated this church from seeking fellowship with other bro/sisters of like precious faith outside of their own Apostolic Organization. I do believe that this type of condescening attitude is what also makes for a big fall among many within this type of church structure: that statement/belief concept IRKS my spirit!!!
Frankly, this is the same "HYPE/ARROGANCE" that Apostolics as a whole tend to have.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 AM
of 9!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
Barb everyone that knows you knows you are not an unkind person, always speaking the truth in love. Don't let one misguided poster run you off, we still enjoy seeing your balanced posting.
I agree Sis Barb! Always have enjoyed your posts.
Hope you don't leave us.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Keith View Post

It is quite normal for pastors to live in a culture of isolation and separation. One pastor cogently captured it for me this way as he said, "Everyone else in the body of Christ can confess sin, but if I do I'm done." The reality is that every pastor is a person in the middle of his own sanctification. A pastoral culture of silence and separation simply can't work. Is it workable for a pastor to live in isolation from the essential sanctifying ministry of the body of Christ?
Pastor Keith, do you think that the way the organized church system is set up with one pastor over a congregation of say...800 members or even 300 members contributes to the isolation of the pastors?

That is a lot of stress put upon one man and his family.

Last edited by AreYouReady?; 11-28-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Keith View Post

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

By the way, Pastor Keith, I love your personal mission.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Follower of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouReady? View Post
Pastor Keith, do you think that the way the organized church system is set up with one pastor over a congregation of say...800 members or even 300 members contributes to the isolation of the pastors?

That is a lot of stress put upon one man and his family.
I think a lot of people believe that a team of elders should lead a church, that most likely would solve some of this issue. But in the culture that I lead I don't know how to make that work, and I have yet to see a real healthy model up close, I have read about that model, but I haven't seen one up close.

My personal mission is to BRING people into a right relationship with God, GROW them up to maturity and SEND them back into the world to minister.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

That is a fair answer. Thank you.

I notice that you have "please pray for India" in your signature line. Are you ministering in India?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv1a View Post
Nice try. The protocol to approach an offending brother is found in Matthew 18:15-17. Paul used this method when dealing with the perversion in the Corinthian church. It seemed to work well for him. One other point.

Which poster personally spoke with TB in private? Thought so. Skip the part about going to the person in private and devour him on a public forum. Again show of hands of people who followed the protocol Jesus established in Matthew? Any confront TB with two or three witnesses? Did you take your offense to the congration? Probably not. They would look at you as if you are wierd. If you are offended by the Memphis Mess, at least pretend to be a christian following the directives Jesus established.

The main part of the scripture you should have highlighted was if the brother sinned against thee. Did TB personally do something against you? Clearly the scripture indicates there has to be a personal involvement to the offense. Maybe this was one of the ways Christ was trying to reduce gossip.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 11-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv1a View Post
Nice try. The protocol to approach an offending brother is found in Matthew 18:15-17. Paul used this method when dealing with the perversion in the Corinthian church. It seemed to work well for him. One other point.

Which poster personally spoke with TB in private? Thought so. Skip the part about going to the person in private and devour him on a public forum. Again show of hands of people who followed the protocol Jesus established in Matthew? Any confront TB with two or three witnesses? Did you take your offense to the congration? Probably not. They would look at you as if you are wierd. If you are offended by the Memphis Mess, at least pretend to be a christian following the directives Jesus established.

The main part of the scripture you should have highlighted was if the brother sinned against thee. Did TB personally do something against you? Clearly the scripture indicates there has to be a personal involvement to the offense. Maybe this was one of the ways Christ was trying to reduce gossip.
Well said, TV.....can't argue with this!
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"