Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead
Facebook

Notices

Old 03-17-2020, 04:41 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Potatoes n mud

Got my raised beds planted last week with yeller squah, zucchini, green beans, and bell peppers. Just put a row of potatoes in about 30 minutes ago. Problem is its been raining like Noah's Flood and its supposed to rain the rest of the week through the weekend. I had a trench for the potatoes but the ground is SOAKED and the trench is full. Dug a side trench to drain it but it still has standing water.

So....

I pulled the mulch back, threw in some peatmoss and composted manure, put my taters in it, covered them with peat moss and some dry topsoil I scrounged up from the garage, pulled the mulch back in between the little tater hills, and said a little prayer.

Hopefully the Lord will bring out the Irish in us and we can get this patch through the monsoon and onto the table.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 03-17-2020, 08:58 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Re: Potatoes n mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Got my raised beds planted last week with yeller squah, zucchini, green beans, and bell peppers. Just put a row of potatoes in about 30 minutes ago. Problem is its been raining like Noah's Flood and its supposed to rain the rest of the week through the weekend. I had a trench for the potatoes but the ground is SOAKED and the trench is full. Dug a side trench to drain it but it still has standing water.

So....

I pulled the mulch back, threw in some peatmoss and composted manure, put my taters in it, covered them with peat moss and some dry topsoil I scrounged up from the garage, pulled the mulch back in between the little tater hills, and said a little prayer.

Hopefully the Lord will bring out the Irish in us and we can get this patch through the monsoon and onto the table.
Sounds like an amazing recovery to nature that refuses to cooperate.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post

So....

Potatoes are about the most fun crop to grow in my opinion. They’re pretty forgiving, and you can pretty much count on a crop of decent potatoes as long as you take care of the Colorado potato beetles when they show up (and they will). Kids of any age love digging taters, even old kids like me. It’s like digging for treasure.

It’s usually an easy crop, and even the mud shouldn’t mess it up unless they rot before they leaf out. I’d probably wait myself and not plant until you have a window of drier weather but it’s unlikely that dryer weather won’t happen in the next week or so. Hope you have a bountiful crop and a lot of fun.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

you planted in a light moon though. You were supposed to wait a week until the dark of the moon. Didn't they teach you that?

Now your tubers will be all plant and no roots.

If you waited a week then you would have had better root crops.

Above ground plants you plant by the light of the moon, below ground plants you plant at the dark of the moon.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

It was the dark of the moon, the sixth of june, a kenworth hauling logs....
Old 03-18-2020, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

it is a waning crescent though so you might be okay.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:57 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

What? I planted by the light of the sun. Quit reading back issues of the Farmer's Almanac!

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 03-18-2020, 09:19 PM

Planted our fruit trees last week. 2 peach, 2 apple, 2 pear. 1 plum. Still need to put in my 2 cherry trees.
Working on fencing in a new garden area in the next few days, to keep the deer and critters out.
If the rain ever actually let’s up for more than a day or two...we’ll start getting a garden put in.

Wish I could raise chickens for the eggs, but my son is very allergic to eggs.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 03-18-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Man, got some more trees, got my peach trees budding soon.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Those taters up yet?