Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-21-2021, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Evangelical Denominations and the Holy Ghost

I realize that this topic perhaps isn't all that new, but it doesn't seem to be terribly fresh here either, so let's get this ball rolling.

I was thinking about this earlier today.

Naturally, we all know that Pentecostal and Charismatic churches believe in the Holy Ghost and the operation of the spiritual gifts, even if their doctrines can sometimes be vastly different.

The main purpose of this thread is to discuss what each of us know about mainline denominations and their teachings on the Holy Ghost. For instance, I spent a chunk of my childhood within a Nazarene church. They were cautious in their doctrine on the Holy Ghost. They taught that speaking in tongues was merely a gift of the Spirit (not the initial evidence), and that if a Christian were to speak in tongues they did not need to do so without an interpreter present. They believed in healing and they anointed people with oil, but that was about as far as they went.

To all of you here that are more versed on other mainline denominations, whether it be through fellowship, witnessing, or former affiliation, I'd like to know what doctrines and teachings you have come across concerning other denominations and their views on the Holy Ghost.

What have you?
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Re: Mainline Denominations and the Holy Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Flame View Post
I realize that this topic perhaps isn't all that new, but it doesn't seem to be terribly fresh here either, so let's get this ball rolling.

I was thinking about this earlier today.

Naturally, we all know that Pentecostal and Charismatic churches believe in the Holy Ghost and the operation of the spiritual gifts, even if their doctrines can sometimes be vastly different.

The main purpose of this thread is to discuss what each of us know about mainline denominations and their teachings on the Holy Ghost. For instance, I spent a chunk of my childhood within a Nazarene church. They were cautious in their doctrine on the Holy Ghost. They taught that speaking in tongues was merely a gift of the Spirit (not the initial evidence), and that if a Christian were to speak in tongues they did not need to do so without an interpreter present. They believed in healing and they anointed people with oil, but that was about as far as they went.

To all of you here that are more versed on other mainline denominations, whether it be through fellowship, witnessing, or former affiliation, I'd like to know what doctrines and teachings you have come across concerning other denominations and their views on the Holy Ghost.

What have you?
First of all, we should better define what constitutes a "mainline denomination." The Nazarene Church would NOT be in the number.

Mainline Protestant Churches are as follows...

Quote:
United Methodist Church
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
Episcopal Church
Presbyterian Church (USA)
American Baptist Churches USA
United Church of Christ
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Notice that the Southern Baptist Convention is not in that number.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
First of all, we should better define what constitutes a "mainline denomination." The Nazarene Church would NOT be in the number.

Mainline Protestant Churches are as follows...

Notice that the Southern Baptist Convention is not in that number.
Okay. Fair enough.

Should we say Protestant?

Non-Pentecostal?
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Flame View Post
Okay. Fair enough.

Should we say Protestant?

Non-Pentecostal?
I think Evangelical or Fundamentalist would be better. Mainline churches are too far gone to even call them churches.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I think Evangelical or Fundamentalist would be better. Mainline churches are too far gone to even call them churches.
Alright. I can agree. Let me see if I can get the title changed.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Most classical Pentecostal denominations (such as the Church of God, the Assemblies of God, the Foursquare Gospel Church, and the Pentecostal Holiness Church) have saw their doctrines take on more evangelical views over the decades. Where almost all of them use to hold that tongues was the initial sing of Spirit baptism, they often now accept a variety of experiences as evidence. They left any outward standard of holiness long ago, with the exception of a few niche churches within each group, and have embraced modern fashions and charismatic-style worship preferences and individual Christian experiences.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:56 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: Evangelical Denominations and the Holy Ghost

Most are anti gifts/tongues

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Far as I recall all Evangelical Churches believe you automatically receive the Holy Spirit when you accept Christ as Lord.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Most are anti gifts/tongues
I really don’t know any who are officially anti-gifts. I know many who are anti-tongues. I think we conflate tongues and gifts, which is not necessarily the same thing.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Most evangelical churches are cautious towards speaking in tongues, even if they practice faith healing, pray for the sick, miracles, prophecies, etc. Years ago the Assemblies of God and its elders were concerned that their denomination was becoming "evangelicals plus tongues" because they had slid so far away from their Pentecostal identity.