Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
civil rights, idiot, kentucky, misunderstood, rand paul

Old 05-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Registered Member

Poor Misunderstood Rand Paul....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/201005...s/ynews_pl2167

There's no reason to think badly about this guy.

It's all trumped up hype just to make the right-winged Conservatives look bad.

Poor Rand Paul.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/201005...s/ynews_pl2171

Last edited by Jermyn Davidson; 05-21-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Not riding the train

Re: Poor Misunderstood Rand Paul....

Funny how Rachel Maddow totally ignores his questions on the "open carry" issue - three times! Watch how she walks around the issue because she knows if she honestly delved into that, she would look very foolish.

Quote:
PAUL: Well, I think it's interesting because the debate involves more than just that, because the debate also involves a lot of court cases with regard to the commerce clause. For example, right now, many states and many gun organizations are saying they have a right to carry a gun in a public restaurant because a public restaurant is not a private restaurant. Therefore, they have a right to carry their gun in there and that the restaurant has no right to have rules to their restaurant.

So, you see, when you blur the distinction between public and private, there are problems.
When you blur the distinction between public and private ownership, there really is a problem. A lot of this was settled a long time ago and isn't being debated anymore.

MADDOW: But it could be brought up at any moment. I mean, if there - - let's say there's a town right now and the owner of the town's swimming club says we're not going to allow black kids at our pool, and the owner of the bowling alley in town says, we're not actually going to allow black patrons, and the owner of the skating rink in town says, we're not going to allow black people to skate here...........

PAUL: Right. Well, what it gets into is, is that then if you decide that restaurants are publicly owned and not privately owned, then do you say that you should have the right to bring your gun into a restaurant, even though the owner of the restaurant says, well, no, we don't want to have guns in here.

The bar says we don't want to have guns in here, because people might drink and start fighting and shoot each other. Does the owner of the restaurant own his restaurant? Or does the government own his restaurant?

These are important philosophical debates but not very practical discussion. And I think we can make something out of this -

MADDOW: Well, it's pretty practical to people who were -- had their life nearly beaten out of them trying to desegregate Walgreen's lunch counters despite these esoteric debates about gun ownership. This is not a hypothetical, Dr. Paul.

PAUL: But what you have to answer when you answer this point of view, which is an abstract, obscure conversation from 1964 that you want to bring up. But if you want to answer, you have to say then that you decide the rules for all restaurants and then you decide that you want to allow them to carry weapons into restaurants.

MADDOW: I can -- we could have a fight about the Second Amendment.

MADDOW: But I think wanting to allow private industry -- private businesses --

PAUL: It's the same fight. It's the same fight.

MADDOW: -- to discriminate along the basis of race because of property rights is an extreme view and I think that's going to be the focus nationally on your candidacy now and you're going to have a lot more debates like this....

PAUL: Well, I think what you've done is you bring up something that really is not an issue, nothing I've ever spoken about or have any indication that I`m interested in any legislation concerning....

MADDOW: Dr. Rand Paul, Republican nominee for the United States Senate in Kentucky, where he'll be representing not only his own views about how to live but what kind of laws we should have in America...

People aren't stupid. She just showed what her whole agenda was about - skewing and focusing on what SHE wants people to see - typical liberal.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator

I don't believe the government should be able to "force integration" on small businesses either. (I'm assuming that means they can come into a small business and force them to culturally diversify.)

If my husband and I wanted to hire people to help him with his business, we would want to hire people purely by their capabilities, no matter what their race. I don't want to HAVE to choose at least one person of each race to make sure everyone knows I'm not prejudiced. I think that's stupid.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Jermyn--it didn't get much press because it's not that big of a story.

There's a difference between preventing racial discrimination and forcing integration. Rand Paul is opposed to the latter--not the former. Anyone who implies the former is practicing dirty partisan journalism.

To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—

Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
I don't believe the government should be able to "force integration" on small businesses either. (I'm assuming that means they can come into a small business and force them to culturally diversify.)

If my husband and I wanted to hire people to help him with his business, we would want to hire people purely by their capabilities, no matter what their race. I don't want to HAVE to choose at least one person of each race to make sure everyone knows I'm not prejudiced. I think that's stupid.
What a terrible attitude!!
Hiring and promoting people based on qualification?

That's completely against union and government philosophy!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
What a terrible attitude!!
Hiring and promoting people based on qualification?

That's completely against union and government philosophy!
I know. I'm such a rebel.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Hey, I'm the one who called the man misunderstood....
Old 05-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
Hey, I'm the one who called the man misunderstood....
Mmmhm.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Mr. Stewart

I'm confused. Is this about private companies hiring who they wish or refusing service to whom they wish based on ethnicity, etc...? In the former, qualifications and other things are certainly an issue. In the latter, I would think that the only qualification would be the ability to pay for the services.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 05-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Registered Member