Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-19-2021, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

What say ye? Can one love truth more than God?

Can one love truth more than they love God?
Old 10-19-2021, 10:55 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Re: What say ye? Can one love truth more than God

Is lying or falsehood an attribute of God? If not, we must accept that He is the way, the truth and the life.

Truth is an immutable character trait of God. If God is indeed truth incarnate, then ones love for truth should ultimately put you on an intersecting trajectory with Him.

Its not like loving truth puts you into some weird orbit taking you away from Him.

If you love truth...wouldn't the ultimate experience be loving the ultimate distilation of that truth?
Old 10-19-2021, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
Is lying or falsehood an attribute of God? If not, we must accept that He is the way, the truth and the life.
God is more than truth. In which case it would seem that one could love the truth 'part of God' more so than 'the rest of God'. That seems awfully close to idolatry to me.

Quote:
Truth is an immutable character trait of God. If God is indeed truth incarnate, then ones love for truth should ultimately put you on an intersecting trajectory with Him.
A rocket can be fired from 1000's of miles away and still be on a trajectory for it's target. That doesn't mean it's ever going to be close to that target before it runs out of fuel.

Quote:
Its not like loving truth puts you into some weird orbit taking you away from Him.
There are many unanswered questions. God is also silent on much. If one values truth then there's not alot of difference to the truthseeker between a 'God that doesn't know' and a 'God that doesn't answer'.

Quote:
If you love truth...wouldn't the ultimate experience be loving the ultimate distilation of that truth?
Can one love learning without loving the teacher or how he teaches?

Last edited by jfrog; 10-19-2021 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
I think we must first establish what is truth.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
God is more than truth. In which case it would seem that one could love the truth 'part of God' more so than 'the rest of God'. That seems awfully close to idolatry to me.

A rocket can be fired from 1000's of miles away and still be on a trajectory for it's target. That doesn't mean it's ever going to be close to that target before it runs out of fuel.

There are many unanswered questions. God is also silent on much. If one values truth then there's not alot of difference to the truthseeker between a 'God that doesn't know' and a 'God that doesn't answer'.

One must love God before he or she can love truth.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:20 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by loran adkins View Post
I think we must first establish what is truth.
God's word is truth. Jesus is the way and the truth. He is the Word made flesh. He is inseparable from the truth.

John 17:17
King James Version
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Psalm 138:1-3
King James Version
138 I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.
2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

Last edited by Amanah; 10-20-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

You don’t love truth. Truth is not a person you can enjoy its presence or a thing you can enjoy looking at or feeling it or doing. When people say they love the truth, it is figurative speech, and they mean they are pursuing the knowledge of truth in order to achieve something they want: e.g. justice, correct guidance in some matter, power to do, etc…
In the spiritual sense, if you are pursuing the knowledge of truth is because you have a spiritual motivation, you want to achieve something, e.g. knowing the true Creator.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:02 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

God created man in His image, but man wants God to be made in his image.
Man loves man, and he hates anything that disagrees with him. When God came down to pay man a visit, man got upset and crucified Him. As Brother Adkins posted, "we must first establish what is truth." So, let the hair pulling begin
Old 10-20-2021, 06:49 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
The truth includes this:

Deuteronomy 6:4-5 KJV
Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord : [5] And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

If you love the truth, you will love God supremely. If you do not love God supremely, you do not love the truth.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-20-2021, 07:38 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:

Seems you are making God out to just be a means to some end. THAT would be idolatry.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf