Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-06-2019, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel

Declaring that the "Holy Ghost is just fed up with it," controversial televangelist Benny Hinn, formerly one of the most aggressive proponents of the prosperity gospel, has for the first time in his career, delivered a full-throated rejection of the practice that made him and his family millions.

The prosperity gospel teaches, among other things, that believers have a right to the blessings of health and wealth, and they can obtain these blessings through positive confessions of faith and the "sowing of seeds" through the faithful payments of tithes and offerings.

Speaking to his followers during a Facebook Live broadcast on Monday night (which was first highlighted by Larry Reid Live), Hinn, who has long been a lightning rod for criticism for his support of the theology, declared the Gospel "is not for sale".

"I'm sorry to say that prosperity has gone a little crazy and I'm correcting my own theology and you need to all know it. Because when I read the Bible now, I don't see the Bible in the same eyes I saw 20 years ago," Hinn said as his followers rejoiced.

"I think it's an offense to the Lord, it's an offense to say give $1,000. I think it's an offense to the Holy Spirit to place a price on the Gospel. I'm done with it. I will never again ask you to give $1,000 or whatever amount, because I think the Holy Ghost is just fed up with it.

"Did you hear me?" Hinn asked as his audience responded affirmatively in high spirits.

"I think it hurts the Gospel, so I'm making this statement for the first time in my life and frankly, I don’t care what people think about me anymore," he continued.

"When they invite me to telethons I think they will not like me anymore. Because when you look at the word of God … if I hear one more time, break the back of debt with $1,000, I'm gonna rebuke them. I think that’s buying the Gospel. That's buying the blessing. That's grieving the Holy Spirit. … If you are not giving because you love Jesus, don't bother giving," Hinn argued. "I think giving has become such a gimmick; it's making me sick to my stomach."

Hinn's outright rejection of the prosperity gospel comes just two months after his nephew, Costi Hinn, revealed in his new book, God, Greed, and the (Prosperity) Gospel: How Truth Overwhelms a Life Built on Lies, how his family exploited millions around the world with the prosperity gospel and often traded so-called miracles for money.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/b...p-with-it.html

The above link is where I copied this passage from and where you can watch the video of Hinn saying the things he's quoted as such here.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.

Last edited by Bro Flame; 09-06-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel

Hinn is a master of manipulation and finding what the next trend will be. He made millions from prosperity, there's no way he's giving that up. He's just wording it differently and getting ahead of the others. Instead of giving an amount, he'll just say to give what the Holy Spirit says to give. He'll make millions more this way.

The youth group I was in growing up used to do a few car washes every summer for SFC. When they started doing them, they had a set amount on the signs. We didn't get many cars or make much money.

One year someone suggested doing away with the set amount and just accept donations of any amount. We had more traffic and made far more money than any previous car wash.

It's a mental game Hinn is playing. He hasn't rejected prosperity. He's just repackaging it.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Hinn is a master of manipulation and finding what the next trend will be. He made millions from prosperity, there's no way he's giving that up. He's just wording it differently and getting ahead of the others. Instead of giving an amount, he'll just say to give what the Holy Spirit says to give. He'll make millions more this way.

The youth group I was in growing up used to do a few car washes every summer for SFC. When they started doing them, they had a set amount on the signs. We didn't get many cars or make much money.

One year someone suggested doing away with the set amount and just accept donations of any amount. We had more traffic and made far more money than any previous car wash.

It's a mental game Hinn is playing. He hasn't rejected prosperity. He's just repackaging it.
Your observation is a valid one, and I tend to agree. After watching the video myself, I don't think he's necessarily expressing remorse for what he's done, but simply that he's going to do some else now. Or so he says.

His expression and tone, both of which can be misleading, didn't seem like he felt sorry or guilty for leading people astray and teaching them something against the Bible's teachings. He simply says he's going about stuff differently now, and tries to pass it off as a spiritual revelation.

I like how you said he's "repackaged" his message. That's a good way to word it. He sort of says prosperity is wrong, but he doesn't seem genuine. No shocker, though.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Good for him. A big step in the right direction!
Old 09-06-2019, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Good for him. A big step in the right direction!
I initially saw this "news" (if it can be called that) on Facebook. There was one comment that if Hinn had the genuine Holy Ghost, he wouldn't have went with the prosperity gospel from the start. Well, maybe not, but this could be a step in the right direction for him if he's telling the truth and is genuinely going to preach the Gospel.

Going with my gut, however, this isn't likely.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:34 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
I initially saw this "news" (if it can be called that) on Facebook. There was one comment that if Hinn had the genuine Holy Ghost, he wouldn't have went with the prosperity gospel from the start. Well, maybe not, but this could be a step in the right direction for him if he's telling the truth and is genuinely going to preach the Gospel.

Going with my gut, however, this isn't likely.
People do a lot of things and go in many directions claiming the Holy Ghost.

Exhibit A: AFF

Old 09-06-2019, 10:22 AM
New User

He made a more brief similar statement on his broadcast a few yrs ago.

Even TD Jakes made a brief apology in passing.

Wish I had recorded them.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post

He made a more brief similar statement on his broadcast a few yrs ago.

Even TD Jakes made a brief apology in passing.

Wish I had recorded them.
Yes, I would like to have seen them. I wonder if they're lingering around somewhere on the web?
Old 09-06-2019, 11:31 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
Yes, I would like to have seen them. I wonder if they're lingering around somewhere on the web?
They may be. I’ll charge the laptop and take a look.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

I Googled T.D. Jakes renouncing the prosperity gospel, but I couldn't find anything. I see several videos in which he's in favor of it, but nothing to the contrary.

Naturally, there's also articles, websites, or what ever in which he gives his own interpretation of the prosperity gospel, and how it is the "truth".

There were links to his supposedly denouncing Jesus' Name and affirming the Trinity, too.