Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
anger, obama, race, white, wright

Old 03-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Hello AFF!

Re: Obama Addresses Racial "Anger"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherHall View Post
LOL

I'd vote that we sometimes fail to understand non-white people. I mean...why doesn't everyone else see things the way we do? After all...we're right. Right?
"Sit down White man, have you ever been poor, called the "n" or had to work twice as hard....

.....America is belongs to the white rich men.

We will never be happy until she is run by rich black men and the white are oppressed."
Old 03-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Hello AFF!

He said Jesus was Black and the The Romans were Rich White man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAYe7...eature=related
Old 03-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

Hey TRFrance, we agree that Rev. Jeremiah is not a true man of God, and if he is, he’s fallen from his calling and needs to get right.

I could go on a tirade about what the man said, denounce him, denounce anyone who finds value in his ministry, and curse, curse, and curse his church. But I can’t bring myself to do that. Then I would be throwing my share of gasoline onto the fire. You said a real man of God should seek to put out the fire. That’s what I’m attempting to do.

If you’ve ever studied the art of negotiation you’ll know this one thing to be true…perception is reality. A man can perceive that something is true and it has a powerful effect on his reality. Pastor Jeremiah perceives that many of the things you listed above are true though we know that they are not or may be being exaggerated. But let’s move deeper than what he said. Let’s move into his perceived reality. Rev. Jeremiah’s generation and the generations before them have experienced some terrible wrongs, atrocities, discriminations, lynching, etc. These things we have done to them as a nation has only conditioned them to more readily believe the most outlandish stuff about America. If we would conduct syphilis experiments on black people as late as the 1970’s….dude….it’s not that far of a jump to say that the government puts drugs on the street. Sometimes they do, especially in elaborate sting operations. Often tactics used can be seen as entrapment. Take some black young men in the inner city with little going for them who have had ties and a record in the drug world. Then have the FBI undercover agent tempt them with a big deal…big money…a chance to have things they will never have in their lives because of their record and their condition in life. They buy into it and get roped into the sting operation. The black community feels these young men were baited in a sweep to catch the big fish in the pond. We see it one way…they see it another; it’s their kids, fathers, brothers, and dads man. But with the atrocities we’ve done only solidify in their minds that we have no regard for their welfare as a people. It’s not too far of a leap to argue that if we conducted tests on them with syphilis…surely we might be willing to unleash AIDS upon them. While these things are not necessarily true…the pain, fear, frustration, and resentment is. And the very real wrongs we’ve done to them are what fuel these feelings and perceptions.

We have to deal with this perceived reality they are living. It’s not enough to just label them “race baiters” or “lunatics”. Throwing back “tit for tat” is only going to drag the problem out. We have to admit we’ve done them wrong and instead of casting it off because we may not have personally done anything; we have to take responsibility for the actions of our ancestors to some degree. Even if it is only acknowledgement of wrongs committed.

As for the years Obama spent under Jeremiah, I’m sure there is far more to Jeremiah’s ministry than we think and I’m sure that in a congregation that large not everyone agrees with him on everything he says. Even in our churches a good number of saints don’t believe every opinion of their pastor. Here’s something funny, in the church I used to attend a previous pastor preached about how Proctor & Gamble had fallen to the Satanist agenda. He mentioned it in sermons several times. I’ve also heard pastors preach about how Obama is a Muslim. Both these stories are urban legend conspiracy theories like the government unleashing AIDS or putting drugs on the streets. When I hear these things I just smile real big and realize….I know more than the cat talking does. I learned my lesson about confronting a pastor about what he says over the pulpit. I went to that previous pastor and mentioned how the Proctor & Gamble deal was an internet rumor. He refused to believe it was because he trusted the man who sent it to him. He then gave me a mild rebuke about just trusting what the pastor says without any questions and explained that if I feel differently not to breed any disunity in the body. Hey, I understood that and continued serving under him until he died.

I really think we’d be shocked to hear what’s said by pastors (black and white) on any given Sunday in America. While some of Wright’s statements are extreme and are not factual (though certainly he believes they are), they are fueled by real hurts, brought on by real wrongs.

Let’s not throw gasoline on the fire and issue our condemnations. Let’s use this as a time to become introspective and see what we can do to address the issues and perceptions that a lot of black people face in America.

As for the RNC….well…they’ll no doubt politicize it and keep the fire burning for another generation. We need to prevent them from doing that to us. We need to stand together and tell them that we’re not going to allow our fears to divided us any longer. We are the American people.
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 (English Standard Version)
Old 03-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOPER View Post
He said Jesus was Black and the The Romans were Rich White man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAYe7...eature=related
So the white man is his enemy I suppose.

And he says he is not reduced to their "hatred, bigotry & small mindedness".

Well friend... you coulda fooled me.

His whole speech was full of hatred, bigotry & small mindedness.

If Obama is going to address racial anger he needs to begin with racist bigots like this individual. He is not only a small minded racist bigot himself but he, under the cloak of religion, is perpetuating that very same mindset in a church full of people and then even farther by Fox News broadcasting it.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOPER View Post
Sit down White man, have you ever been poor, called the "n" or had to work twice as hard....

.....America is belongs to the white rich men.

We will never be happy until she is run by rich black men and the white are oppressed.
Neither end of that spectrum is an answer. When one group wants to see another group under their feet then hatred prevails.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

too late on the not drinking the koolaid for our dear ch, he gargles with it i am afraid, help us lord, dt
Old 03-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I think some of us need to get some thicker skin. I also think we should have the guts to say that while his language was strong his conclusion has some weight to it and we as a nation need to at least say yes, we committed a terrible atrocity against them and continued to suppress them in the following generations. At one time it was illegal to teach a black man to read in some states. This was to suppress them. We did treat them as less than human.
So you believe his statement that America is the US of KKK is correct these last 30 years?

So you believe that the CIA created the AIDS virus to kill black men?

So you believe that the "3 Strikes" laws were created to jail black men?

So you believe that a proper response to disdain for past racism is to honor Louis Farrakan as your "man of the year"?

Incredible.

Your concept that Jeremiah Wright should be forgiven for spewing lies and hatred because of past injustices is absurd. More of liberal claptrap excusing one from personal responsibility.

We are supposed to believe that because racism has existed in our country that allows men to say anything they want no matter how outragous and untrue and we just have to accept it? You are deluded.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
We have to deal with this perceived reality they are living. It’s not enough to just label them “race baiters” or “lunatics”. Throwing back “tit for tat” is only going to drag the problem out. We have to admit we’ve done them wrong and instead of casting it off because we may not have personally done anything; we have to take responsibility for the actions of our ancestors to some degree. Even if it is only acknowledgement of wrongs committed.
The educational process is open for every man/woman in this country. If they want to live in the past there is nothing we can do about that. It's their choice. Too many have risen up before them and gone on to be great people, great Americans. I'm sick of the "woe is me" syndrome.

Who am I going to blame for the atrocities toward my Jewish ancestry? Who is going to repay me for Auswich, etc.? No one!! Do I start with Cesear? It's just part of history. I have to move on.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
The educational process is open for every man/woman in this country. If they want to live in the past there is nothing we can do about that. It's their choice. Too many have risen up before them and gone on to be great people, great Americans. I'm sick of the "woe is me" syndrome.

Who am I going to blame for the atrocities toward my Jewish ancestry? Who is going to repay me for Auswich, etc.? No one!! Do I start with Cesear? It's just part of history. I have to move on.
Yes ma'am.

What we need to do is move on. We can't forever tie our lives to the atrocities of the past.

If there are atrocities or inequalities today then we must deal with those things. Those things cannot be allowed to continue without being met with the proper response.

But we must stop tainting generation after generation after generation for what was done in a time long past in a mindset long gone.

I do not assume that my German friend hates Jews nor do I feel that they somehow need to make some recompense for what was done long ago.

Why do we live with an ongoing assumption that whites are born with a propensity toward racism?

Why do we still require recompense for the deeds of some (not all) nearly a century and a half ago?

Why can't everyone be judged on their own deeds, their own beliefs and their own actions.

CH... you need to forgive your ancestry. To forgive is NOT to say it was okay... to forgive is to release your own guilt and need to make recompense for what you have never done.

If you are racist... then you need to deal with that.

If you are not... then there is no need for neither you nor me to pay for sins we did not commit.

We cannot move on from that place in our history until we... move on.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
Yes ma'am.

What we need to do is move on. We can't forever tie our lives to the atrocities of the past.

If there are atrocities or inequalities today then we must deal with those things. Those things cannot be allowed to continue without being met with the proper response.

But we must stop tainting generation after generation after generation for what was done in a time long past in a mindset long gone.

I do not assume that my German friend hates Jews nor do I feel that they somehow need to make some recompense for what was done long ago.

Why do we live with an ongoing assumption that whites are born with a propensity toward racism?

Why do we still require recompense for the deeds of some (not all) nearly a century and a half ago?

Why can't everyone be judged on their own deeds, their own beliefs and their own actions.

CH... you need to forgive your ancestry. To forgive is NOT to say it was okay... to forgive is to release your own guilt and need to make recompense for what you have never done.

If you are racist... then you need to deal with that.

If you are not... then there is no need for neither you nor me to pay for sins you did not commit.

We cannot move on from that place in our history until we... move on.
Amen, D4T!