Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Giant Jesus Struck By Lightning

This is about 20 miles from our house

From the Hamilton Journal News

Jesus Statue catches fire in storm
Solid Rock Church Jesus monument struck by lightning

By Tiffany Y. Latta, Staff Writer
Updated 1:28 AM Tuesday, June 15, 2010

MONROE — The large Jesus statue iconic to Interstate 75 in Monroe is destroyed following an apparent lightning strike during a thunderstorm.

Motorists were stopped along the highway and around the Monroe area to watch the 62-foot “King of Kings” statue burn. The fire was reported just 11:15 p.m. Monday, June 14. Within minutes, all that was left was the steel frame of the statue at Solid Rock Church, 904 N. Union Road.

Church member Cassie Browning, 27 of Dayton, said she was driving north on I-75 on her way back from Tennessee when her family noticed the statue was missing. “It meant so much to so many people,” said Browning.

“It’s crazy,” said Ted Williams, 35, of Monroe, who could see the statue ablaze from a Shell gas station along Ohio 63.

After midnight, the fire had spread to the nearby amphitheater of the church, according to dispatchers. There were no reports of injuries.

The statue, which appeared to come out of the water, was known by multiple nicknames since it was built in 2004, including “Touchdown Jesus” because the arms are raised upward, similar to a motion made when a touchdown is scored in football. It also was known as “Big Butter Jesus” after comedian Heywood Banks referred to it as such and created a song about the statue, which he performed on radio’s “The Bob and Tom Show.”

It was constructed of wood and styrofoam over a steel framework that was anchored in concrete and covered with a fiberglass mat and resin exterior, according to the church. It was slated for renovations this summer.

Crews responded from Monroe, Middletown, Liberty Twp., Deerfield Twp. and Trenton, according to dispatchers.

Messages left at the church late Monday were not returned.

Find this article at:

http://www.journal-news.com/news/ham...rm-762245.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GiantJesus.jpg (22.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg OHIO.jpg (27.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Re: Giant Jesus Struck By Lightning

Here's a video of the fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAAj1OiH-WA

if you go to YouTube, you'll see some pretty harsh comments about it.

I remember when that statue was put up.
Lots of people condemned the cost, "why wasn't this spent for food for the hungry?" and lots of people condemned it as a graven image.

I always thought it was kinda neat and I doubt if anyone bowed down before it and worshiped.
That is a large church and they have provisions for unwed mothers to go there for prenatal care and then give up their children for adoption.
I don't really know what other kind of programs they have like a pantry etc.
I've never been to the church myself.

Last edited by Sam; 06-15-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:56 AM
My Family!

My friend lives in Cincinnati and her roof was hit by lightening last night too - - must have been the same storm.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:00 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

He was called the Giant Jesus because of the size.

He was called the Touchdown Jesus because His arms are raised like some do after a touchdown.

He was called the Drowning Jesus because He appears to be rising up out of water.

The pastor and his wife have been the targets of lots of criticisms because of their wealth (he's a horse breeder and trainer and supposedly a millionaire) and because he's part of a bluegrass group, and she's a preacher (supposedly better than he is) and she has ads in Charisma magazine.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
The pastor and his wife have been the targets of lots of criticisms because of their wealth (he's a horse breeder and trainer and supposedly a millionaire) and because he's part of a bluegrass group, and she's a preacher (supposedly better than he is) and she has ads in Charisma magazine.
Well that explains it then!!!

Bluegrass, women preachers and goin' charismatic!!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Accepts all friends requests

Fiberglass is really a poor material to use in monumental structures. This statue was temporary at best from the time it was first put up.

Of course, the detail in the art - the folds of His garment and such - that gave the piece such a poignant appearance would have been difficult to achieve in other materials. Given the size, a stone sculpture on this site would have been out of the question. Bronze or another weather resistant metal would have made it truly expensive. Concrete is probably the way to go if they rebuild it - but the overall appearance won't be the same.

Why not erect a huge statue of Mohammed? You know, just as a show of goodwill toward our Muslim friends.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
Fiberglass is really a poor material to use in monumental structures. This statue was temporary at best from the time it was first put up.

Of course, the detail in the art - the folds of His garment and such - that gave the piece such a poignant appearance would have been difficult to achieve in other materials. Given the size, a stone sculpture on this site would have been out of the question. Bronze or another weather resistant metal would have made it truly expensive. Concrete is probably the way to go if they rebuild it - but the overall appearance won't be the same.

Why not erect a huge statue of Mohammed? You know, just as a show of goodwill toward our Muslim friends.
There ya go. We can start the official "Let's all build a statue of Mohammed!" day.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Lawd, I don't mind a statue but does it have to be that big! WHY?

On a side note, I don't care how unmarried I am, there will be no giving my baby up for adoption. I want to start encouraging folks to raise their children. People make a great deal of money of adoption process at the expense of those who have a strong desire to have children.

Okay, I degress! That statue is way too big. Thank God he even saw fit to destroy it!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
Lawd, I don't mind a statue but does it have to be that big! WHY?

On a side note, I don't care how unmarried I am, there will be no giving my baby up for adoption. I want to start encouraging folks to raise their children. People make a great deal of money of adoption process at the expense of those who have a strong desire to have children.

Okay, I degress! That statue is way too big. Thank God he even saw fit to destroy it!
Naw, I would say it was not nearly big enough! We need something more like this......
Old 06-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Naw, I would say it was not nearly big enough! We need something more like this......

Why not a little bigger!